Minoxidil for Women?

LBerg12

Banned
Reaction score
My wife has been experiencing some hair loss. She is skeptical about using Minoxidil though. Does anyone have experience with this? Let me know. Thanks!

HonnyBrown

Reaction score
I have been using it for a year to fight Female Pattern Baldness at the crown and a receding hairline.

I use Rogain or generic Rogain from Target. It works, but it is a lifetime commitment: every day, twice a day!

After two months of using it, I started seeing more shedding. This was scary, but expected. After 6 months of use, I saw results. After a year of use, I'm still seeing results. My Rogain hair is finer than my normal hair, but I have no more bald spots. I expect that the fine hair will thicken over time.

I have nothing bad to say about Rogain!

W

wp2017

Minoxidil is great for women, and actually is more effective for them than men. A higher percentage of women will be good responders to it.

femmemuscle

My Regimen
Reaction score
i tried it.. I bought it from Costco. If you have Alopecia Areata - that's the patchy baldness, it says on the bottle that it only works for baldness on the crown.

I decided to try it out on my temples, crown and nape. I had the hair shed alright, but nothing came back to replace it. Nothing. What was even worse, more hair started coming out on the temples and the nape. In April 2015 - My crown was shiny and the bald spot was even larger. I was told that when the bald spot was shiny or slick - the follicles were damaged and would never grow back.

I made a decision and tossed the stuff out. I figured to Hell with Halloween and Cancel Christmas, i'm done with trying to make it happen.

Minoxidil was my last "Over the Counter, Miracle Tonic"..

I tossed out everything:

Minoxidil, Rogaine, Carol's Products, Biotin (10,000 mcg. a day, ladies), Folliform, Hair Omega, Nioxin Follicle Starter, More Hair Vitamins, - these are my collectibles over course of 15 years.

Hair Sulphur Products, Natural Hair growth products, MSM, Cayenne Pepper, Onion, Garlic, Glover's Mane, Mane & Tail, Apoghee Protein Treatments, Mayonnaise, Thyroid supplements, potassium, Fotki, Bhringaraj, everything.. and MORE hair vitamins.

Guess what? since 11/16/2015, my hair started to sprout. On it's own.

I learned that when you do too much to make something happen? It's not going to happen.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i tried it.. I bought it from Costco. If you have Alopecia Areata - that's the patchy baldness, it says on the bottle that it only works for baldness on the crown.

I decided to try it out on my temples, crown and nape. I had the hair shed alright, but nothing came back to replace it. Nothing. What was even worse, more hair started coming out on the temples and the nape. In April 2015 - My crown was shiny and the bald spot was even larger. I was told that when the bald spot was shiny or slick - the follicles were damaged and would never grow back.

I made a decision and tossed the stuff out. I figured to Hell with Halloween and Cancel Christmas, i'm done with trying to make it happen.

Minoxidil was my last "Over the Counter, Miracle Tonic"..

I tossed out everything:

Minoxidil, Rogaine, Carol's Products, Biotin (10,000 mcg. a day, ladies), Folliform, Hair Omega, Nioxin Follicle Starter, More Hair Vitamins, - these are my collectibles over course of 15 years.

Hair Sulphur Products, Natural Hair growth products, MSM, Cayenne Pepper, Onion, Garlic, Glover's Mane, Mane & Tail, Apoghee Protein Treatments, Mayonnaise, Thyroid supplements, potassium, Fotki, Bhringaraj, everything.. and MORE hair vitamins.

Guess what? since 11/16/2015, my hair started to sprout. On it's own.

I learned that when you do too much to make something happen? It's not going to happen.

Maybe you have Alopecia Areata diffuse and not Androgenic..did you ever have a biopsy?

Did you have scarring Alopecia?

Just sounds weird because Androgenetic Alopecia does not just grow back on its own. Alopecia Areata or Telogen Effluvium can but not Androgenetic Alopecia.

femmemuscle

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe you have Alopecia Areata diffuse and not Androgenic..did you ever have a biopsy?

Did you have scarring Alopecia?

Just sounds weird because Androgenetic Alopecia does not just grow back on its own. Alopecia Areata or Telogen Effluvium can but not Androgenetic Alopecia.

I'm hearing all sorts of things. I didn't get a biopsy, because these doctors here in Mexico/New Mexico probably don't have a clue. I've been behind the scenes of the medical field, and i just don't trust them, or the lab techs.

Last month was the time for my "annual hair fall".. never fails, Miss Blues. Every single November 16 of the year is hair shed time. I think a certain phase happens in the summer where my eyebrows, eyelashes scalp grows to it's fullest - then in November - just like clock work? Here comes the shed.

This year was different. Right in Mid November, my eyelashes started shedding first. New eye lashes popped in immediately. My eyebrows aren't exactly bushy, but they also shed. This leaves small bald patches.. I use a small amount of filler, and in a few months time? They grow back in.

Scalp wise... I usually have this really deep burning sensation all over the scalp in patches that doesn't go away for the entire month. I massage, and moisturize those areas - and it soothes ithem for about an hour or so, then the burning returns full bore. The area of the sensation stops, and i notice my hair turns very dry and brittle - then boom, it falls out. I usually lose 3/4 of my entire hair to this. What is left is a head full of patchy bald areas. Some areas are shiny.. some have sparse left over hair, some just small sprouts of hair. Then it starts AAAAALLLLL over again. Some of the patches grow back.. Some stay bald, and some just sprout a bit of fuzz and that it.

This year? I had only one small patch above the left ear that started "stinging".. I knew i was going to lose hair there. Sure enough..November 16, 2016 - right on the money? I took my hair down one night, and there was a silver dollar sized oblong bald patch. But that was it. The rest of the hair pretty much stayed intact.. the fuzzy patches left over from last year gave up the ghost. But this year - i was able to retain 3/4 of my hair verses losing 3/4. i have 4 bald patches. 1 is the fresh one over the left ear.. and the other 3 are the left overs with short hair from last year.

This affects not only my hair on my head but my eyebrows and eyelashes as well.

Sorry for the long post..

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm hearing all sorts of things. I didn't get a biopsy, because these doctors here in Mexico/New Mexico probably don't have a clue. I've been behind the scenes of the medical field, and i just don't trust them, or the lab techs.

Last month was the time for my "annual hair fall".. never fails, Miss Blues. Every single November 16 of the year is hair shed time. I think a certain phase happens in the summer where my eyebrows, eyelashes scalp grows to it's fullest - then in November - just like clock work? Here comes the shed.

This year was different. Right in Mid November, my eyelashes started shedding first. New eye lashes popped in immediately. My eyebrows aren't exactly bushy, but they also shed. This leaves small bald patches.. I use a small amount of filler, and in a few months time? They grow back in.

Scalp wise... I usually have this really deep burning sensation all over the scalp in patches that doesn't go away for the entire month. I massage, and moisturize those areas - and it soothes ithem for about an hour or so, then the burning returns full bore. The area of the sensation stops, and i notice my hair turns very dry and brittle - then boom, it falls out. I usually lose 3/4 of my entire hair to this. What is left is a head full of patchy bald areas. Some areas are shiny.. some have sparse left over hair, some just small sprouts of hair. Then it starts AAAAALLLLL over again. Some of the patches grow back.. Some stay bald, and some just sprout a bit of fuzz and that it.

This year? I had only one small patch above the left ear that started "stinging".. I knew i was going to lose hair there. Sure enough..November 16, 2016 - right on the money? I took my hair down one night, and there was a silver dollar sized oblong bald patch. But that was it. The rest of the hair pretty much stayed intact.. the fuzzy patches left over from last year gave up the ghost. But this year - i was able to retain 3/4 of my hair verses losing 3/4. i have 4 bald patches. 1 is the fresh one over the left ear.. and the other 3 are the left overs with short hair from last year.

This affects not only my hair on my head but my eyebrows and eyelashes as well.

Sorry for the long post..

i think you have areata...i would see a qualified experienced dermatologist.