Minoxidil application question

Cypocalypse

Reaction score
According to the user manual of the brand I bought:

1. Wash scalp with shampoo

2. Towel dry scalp

3. Rub balding area with cotton soaked in alcohol. Wait for the scalp to dry.

4. Apply 1 ml of minoxidil

5. Don't blow dry (or dry hair by simply using fan) hair after its application.

I understand the shampooing part. I don't understand step number 3 and 5. Why is it wrong to fan dry? and what's the need of alcohol when the scalp is already clean (after shampooing)?

funkster

Reaction score
Welcome Cypocalypse :)

You can ignore point 3 - there's no need to rub the balding area with alcohol before you apply minoxidil. There's plenty of ethyl alcohol in both rogaine and generic minoxidil.

There was a study into the effects of hairdrying after minoxidil applications, and it showed a significant reduction in the amount of active ingredient on the skin surface. It was assumed that it was due to increased evaporation (causing minoxidil to precipitate out of solution and rest as crystals on your scalp) and also due to the physical blowing away of the liquid itself, most notably further up the hair shaft, away from your follicles.

So try and avoid hot and/or prolonged hairdrying if poss.

Hope that helps.

bombscience

Reaction score
I've always wondered *how* dry your hair should be. I dont try to apply anything dripping wet, but if my hair is damp it shouldn't be a problem right?

Stingray

Reaction score
Applying minoxidil on a damp head is actually best. The pores are open and absoprtion is like 3 fold. You shouldn't dry your hair after applying the minoxidil solution because a lot of the minoxidil will be evaporated with the liquid. Just apply, rub in, and you're good to go. Wait like 20 minutes before doing anything with your head and then you can do anything you like short of washing your hair.

STLman

Reaction score
My newest pet peeve -

Shampoo then minoxidil just sux, especially after using nizoral.

Get out the shower with this nice clean dry hair then go dumping that oly sh*t into it. Its like washing your truck then taking it out muddin. I cringe every time.

Cypocalypse

Reaction score
I'm at the earliest stage of baldness (if I'm actually suffering from it).

It's dispersed. Actually, you won't think that I'm bald unless you look at my scalp closely.

Do I need to apply more midnoxidil cuz a lot of it just get ino my hhair strands (making the minoxidil look like a styling gel cuz it makes my hair stiff)?

Lastly, how effective is Nizoral, really?

What's the deal behind it?

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Cypocalypse said:
I'm at the earliest stage of baldness (if I'm actually suffering from it).

It's dispersed. Actually, you won't think that I'm bald unless you look at my scalp closely.

Do I need to apply more midnoxidil cuz a lot of it just get ino my hhair strands (making the minoxidil look like a styling gel cuz it makes my hair stiff)?

Lastly, how effective is Nizoral, really?

What's the deal behind it?

hey a filipino. I'm half whats up dude :rockon:
propcia give pututuy :laugh:
I turn into jakolero

G

i got a question my hair was thick with a slight curl before hairloss and over the last year it is thinning with no curl whatsoeva. if the hair regrows will it be curly again or will it just stay straight. yo i miss my little jerri curls.

Stingray

Reaction score
Wow, now if he'd've posted like that every other time, I wouldnt have been so tempted to rip his balls out through his nostrils.

1mL twice a day is more than sufficient for the entire scalp.

Bono

Reaction score
i'm putting 1 ml on each thinning area.... like around my right temple, 1 ml each application, from very front of my scalp to almost the middle, 1ml... and same with the left side of my temple... i'm i putting too much minoxidil?