Minoxidil and Cat Safety

Centerre-Guy

Reaction score
This is something I have never heard of before, and I have been using Rogaine since it first came out and was available only by prescription. I've always had a cat in the house and I always seem to end up with the ones that like to sleep next to my head (sigh). There's been times I've been in a hurry and have only "rinsed" my hands versus "washed" them. My cats have been fine. Minoxidil may certainly be toxic to cats, but I cannot believe that a cat licking your pillowcase is going to get sick enough to die. I'm wondering if the guy who had recently taken his cat to the vet for its annual checkup had a cat with a cardiac issue. Those types of things are not normally discovered during an annual checkup, they may listen to the heartbeat, but unless they are doing an MRI on the cat, they don't really know what all is going on inside. It's common for a cat to be fine living with cardiac issues and then one day drop over dead - I've known people who have had cats less than 10 years old that this has happened to. I'm not sure if the average Rogaine user is aware of the cat/Minoxidil thing (I sure wasn't until today) and let's face it, considering the amount of men using Rogaine and the amount of cats that are people's pets, I'd have to believe there would have been an epidemic of cat deaths by now. Perhaps it affects certain breeds or a specific sex more? I just don't think it's a danger to every cat because I can assure you that mine would have been dead by now.

cateyes81

Established Member
Reaction score
i use xandrox plus 15 percent night and 6 percent in the morning and my cat forces it self on the bed all the time for the past what 6 or 7 years? and never had any sickness or problems is healthy and fat and catches huge rats... very strong cat.. so no i think you are safe.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My cat had the same exact symptoms that the other guy's cat had, and it was all within two weeks of returning home after not living with her for a few months. Healthy one day, gasping for air the next. Hopefully it's just a coincidence.

B

Beingbaldsucks

Cats are sneaky little bastards who will betray you for the cheapest snack, I say f*** the cut, I want hair

Anderson

Reaction score
I feel bad for the guy that lost his cat, but I'm not sure it was from Minoxidil.

I have 4 different types of cats and before I read that it was toxic to cats, I'm sure each of them got a little on them at one time or another. One of my cats even knocked a bottle of it over with the cap off, and there was a lot on her paws/legs. When I read about the toxicity later on I figured you need to continuously put it on them to hurt them, otherwise I would be feeling really bad right now. I definitely wouldn't test it though, and as with all strange chemicals, don't purposely put them on cats.

holdhotter

Reaction score
I feel bad for the guy that lost his cat, but I'm not sure it was from Minoxidil.

I have 4 different types of cats and before I read that it was toxic to cats, I'm sure each of them got a little on them at one time or another. One of my cats even knocked a bottle of it over with the cap off, and there was a lot on her paws/legs. When I read about the toxicity later on I figured you need to continuously put it on them to hurt them, otherwise I would be feeling really bad right now. I definitely wouldn't test it though, and as with all strange chemicals, don't purposely put them on cats.

I think that different cats react differently to minoxidil. Some might be very resistant to it but some might die by coming into contact with a very small amount, so to all the cat-owners using minoxidil, I urge continuous caution.

bm11221

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I just started using Minoxidil 5% today after debating it for a long time because I am deathly worried about the potential risks to my cats.

For the cat owners out there, what kind of precautions do you take?

My plan is to only apply it immediately before leaving the house and washing my hair immediately after coming back. I also think I should be extra careful in making sure that the sink/bathtub have been thoroughly rinsed, in case some minute amount of the solution got splashed around while I was cleaning my hands or my hair. I've seen my cat lick the drain of the tub before when there is some water left around it.

Is Minoxidil still dangerous once it dries up? For example, if I splashed some on my clothes by accident and it dried up, would my cat be at risk if he slept on my clothes (he likes to sleep in the laundry hamper)? I read that they can get intoxicated just by walking on it.

How easily does Minoxidil wash off? It's oil-based iirc, so water alone won't do the job, is that correct?

Do you guys feel its safe to snuggle with the cats after having washed my hair? Obviously I won't be rubbing my head on them but I'm afraid some trace amounts might still get transferred from me to them.

Do any of you cat owners use the product at night? I don't close my bedroom door so I think that is quite dangerous as they can come sleep on my pillow sometimes.

Sorry for being so paranoid, it's probably a bigger problem for me than balding. However, I'd really appreciate it if you could share your experiences and advice. If something terrible happens to my cat because of my carelessness, I'll be sure to lose all my hair within days.

Thanks,
Will
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi man my cat also died of minoxidil --- all signs as indicated on the Internet --- I used 2 months Kirkland and Rogaine 5% and apparently cat touched my hair or pillow --- everything exactly as you wrote --- sorry --- cat but I later learned all ---- sorry for the English I dont speak English and I writing through an interpreter ---- these ****ing bastards should be judged !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience. Minoxidil killed my cat.

I bought the 5% solution from my local pharmacy and started using it. I'd heard it was dangerous to cats, so I kept the bottle tightly closed and in a drawer when not using, and washed my hands thoroughly after using.

My cat sometimes liked to sleep on my pillow during the day. Either he walked across the dried solution that had gotten on my pillow or licked the pillow. One night before bed, a couple days into starting Minoxidil, I noticed he was acting kind of lethargic - just lying on the bed and not his usual playful self. Didn't think much of it at the time.

The next day I happened to go home around 2pm to get my suitcase for a work trip and found him gasping for air and making really scary sounding short meows - kind of like yelps. I put him in his carrier and ran down the street to the vet. They found his lungs were full of fluid. He didn't respond to treatment, and they found his kidneys were starting to fail, so we had to euthanize him. The vet told me that he COULD have had some preexisting cardiac condition, but he had recently had his annual checkup and they had said he was fine. I'm sure she was just trying to make me feel better for inadvertently poisoning my cat.

Be really, really careful with minoxidil and cats.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi man my cat also died of minoxidil --- all signs as indicated on the Internet --- I used 2 months Kirkland and Rogaine 5% and apparently cat touched my hair or pillow --- everything exactly as you wrote --- sorry --- cat but I later learned all ---- sorry for the English I dont speak English and I writing through an interpreter ---- these ****ing bastards should be judged !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

my cat was 4 years old healthy strong --- he apparently slept on my pillow or touch my hair --- Minoxidil also inhale very harmful to cats ---- developing heart disease and pulmonary edema --- vets I paid about $ 800 and a cat ------ not save people be careful dogs and cats we are responsible for them out of pity as people --- I wish I had killed a bad person than an animal

Stephen Curtis

Reaction score
For those of you who have had cats die because of this drug i am truly sorry. For the benefit of this happening to no one else could you specify the size/age/breed of cat and what type of minoxidil you were using(foam or pipette)? I am 17 and receding because of male pattern baldness and i have no choice really to take this drug, i love my cats dearly and would hate for anything to happen to them; i am very much stuck between the health of my cats and missing out on my youth by going bald!
Thank you
Stephen

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
As I wrote in another thread, I have two cats, have used minoxidil for twenty years and nothing ever happened.
This has to be considered:
- bottles should be always well stored and perfectly closed
- you should rub the foam / the liquid well so that no drop falls on the floor
- you should wash your hands very well after the application

Having said that, I am sure the real issue with the drugs is when it falls and cats lick it. I am unsure about the idea that they get poisoned because your pillow absorbed minoxidil and they slept on the same pillow. I think in that case the contamination would really be too small.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Besides storing my minoxidil safely out of reach of my cat and washing my hands thoroughly after every application, I also avoid touching my head after that, and also... and this was a big change... I apply it in a room in my apt where my cat doesnt often go. So, theres no chance of a drop on the floor of the bathroom that I missed, as I dont do it in a bathroom. Before I started doing this, I was putting towels down on the floor of the bathroom every time I applied it, and that got to be too annoying, and I worried about the towels themselves!

So, what this means is that I now apply it using no mirror at all. With a little practice this became easy to do... after I all I know where Im balding and I dont need to see it in a mirror to find the spots.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Besides storing my minoxidil safely out of reach of my cat and washing my hands thoroughly after every application, I also avoid touching my head after that, and also... and this was a big change... I apply it in a room in my apt where my cat doesnt often go. So, theres no chance of a drop on the floor of the bathroom that I missed, as I dont do it in a bathroom. Before I started doing this, I was putting towels down on the floor of the bathroom every time I applied it, and that got to be too annoying, and I worried about the towels themselves!

So, what this means is that I now apply it using no mirror at all. With a little practice this became easy to do... after I all I know where Im balding and I dont need to see it in a mirror to find the spots.

Well done!

CatHat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I just started using Minoxidil 5% today after debating it for a long time because I am deathly worried about the potential risks to my cats.

For the cat owners out there, what kind of precautions do you take?

My plan is to only apply it immediately before leaving the house and washing my hair immediately after coming back. I also think I should be extra careful in making sure that the sink/bathtub have been thoroughly rinsed, in case some minute amount of the solution got splashed around while I was cleaning my hands or my hair. I've seen my cat lick the drain of the tub before when there is some water left around it.

Is Minoxidil still dangerous once it dries up? For example, if I splashed some on my clothes by accident and it dried up, would my cat be at risk if he slept on my clothes (he likes to sleep in the laundry hamper)? I read that they can get intoxicated just by walking on it.

How easily does Minoxidil wash off? It's oil-based iirc, so water alone won't do the job, is that correct?

Do you guys feel its safe to snuggle with the cats after having washed my hair? Obviously I won't be rubbing my head on them but I'm afraid some trace amounts might still get transferred from me to them.

Do any of you cat owners use the product at night? I don't close my bedroom door so I think that is quite dangerous as they can come sleep on my pillow sometimes.

Sorry for being so paranoid, it's probably a bigger problem for me than balding. However, I'd really appreciate it if you could share your experiences and advice. If something terrible happens to my cat because of my carelessness, I'll be sure to lose all my hair within days.

Thanks,
Will
Hey Will, what did you decide? How did things go? I am in a similar predicament and found your post informative.

CatHat

My Regimen
Reaction score
@CatHat
Use 1mg oral minoxidil once a day.
More effective and more pratical.
More safe for your cat.
Thank you Renan, I didn't know this was available orally and will investigate it! :) Unfortunately, I can't take finasteride, which is the other solution.

ukrmd

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow i never knew about this! i had a cat when i took minoxidil for 18 months (approx)... he was fine and that was 7 odd years ago.

My regimen was in the bathroom, and I use the foam. Before work I would put it on, wash my hands and go straight out the door. Evenings I can't recall

The foam apparently absorbs faster and is less greasy, so you are more likely for it not to transfer like the liquid which is PG based and has residue

Tablets/liquid drops is a good option - this may sound daft, but just double check that they can't absorb it through you stroking them, esp as they lick their fur. For example testosterone patches can be absorbed through your pores/hands and sweat glands by children and animals, even from 3rd party surfaces like towels

resu

Reaction score
Unless the cat drinks it straight from the bottle there's not much risk, I have a cat on the house as well and have used all types of minoxidil.