minoxidil after 2 months.....agggghhhh

malhounsen

Reaction score
I know I should stick to it but this is getting scary, I am using Nizoral aswell and am starting to get alot of irritation.
I wasn't using Nizoral and leaving it in properly every other day like I am now though so I am hoping if I stick to it the irritation will go away. I have started to skip on applications of minoxidil because of the irritation.
I'm starting to think I need to start using propecia/proscar? I am a canadian in the states right now so do not know how much trouble it will be to get on it. I am interested in hearing others opinions because I am really new to this, very scared, starting to think about shaving the head and see how I look I guess

http://www.geocities.com/shufflelot/holeinhead.jpg

try2beme22

Established Member
Reaction score
well ur supposed to use nizoral every 3 or 4 days... so i recommend if u have a delicate scalp to only use it the way it says to not every 2 days....

malhounsen

Reaction score
I thought some people suggested using it 3 times a week, which is almost every other day, I suppose I should look into other treatments to counter the irritation, or switch to 2% minoxidil.
I should clarify the left image is when i started and the right is after 2 months,
the first link might not work but hopefully this one does

http://www.geocities.com/shufflelot/holeinhead.htm

Cassin

Reaction score
It is possible the irritation is indeed caused by the Nizoral. That has happened to me and others. This is very rare though.

Skipping an application due to irritation is fine and encouraged. No use forcing your scalp to accept minoxidil twice a day while it is adjusting. This will only make things worse, I can guarentee you this. Do your best to get at least 1 (.5ml) app per day. If this doesn't work, try not to go to many days in a row with no app. The most important thing right now is to figure out what your scalp doesn't like. The Nizoral or the minoxidil. Maybe both.

Never, ever scratch your scalp. This is a bad idea. This also makes things worse. Make sure your scalp is hydrated also. The alcohol in minoxidil tends to dry the scalp out. This is also another reason why Nizoral may need to either be put away for now or it's use scaled back. Consider TIGI "Moisture Maniac" for your dried up scalp. It's some pricey stuff but a $16 bottle will last over two months. You can get it anywhere.

I have tried every single irritation shampoo I could get my hands on in N.Dallas and none worked (for me). I bought some fancy expensive stuff at salons and all failed. I probably tried almost 20 shampoos in 2 months. All made my condition worse. My scalp would be red within 2 hours of a shower and the areas that were red were the ares I used minoxidil. Personaly I don't buy into the PPG thing of Dr Lee's. IMO I think that route should be a last resort.

So, if scaling back apps and Nizoral use does not help you. Try Folligen. http://www.Folligen.com It is cheap. Your can order off http://www.hairlosstalk.com as well for the same price. At first this made my scalp burn and itch a little for about 10-20 minutes after an app. But now it has an odd colling effect most of the time.

Good luck. You have many other options to try before you need to worry.

bombscience

Reaction score
Cassin said:
It is possible the irritation is indeed caused by the Nizoral. That has happened to me and others. This is very rare though.

Skipping an application due to irritation is fine and encouraged. No use forcing your scalp to accept minoxidil twice a day while it is adjusting. This will only make things worse, I can guarentee you this. Do your best to get at least 1 (.5ml) app per day. If this doesn't work, try not to go to many days in a row with no app. The most important thing right now is to figure out what your scalp doesn't like. The Nizoral or the minoxidil. Maybe both.

Never, ever scratch your scalp. This is a bad idea. This also makes things worse. Make sure your scalp is hydrated also. The alcohol in minoxidil tends to dry the scalp out. This is also another reason why Nizoral may need to either be put away for now or it's use scaled back. Consider TIGI "Moisture Maniac" for your dried up scalp. It's some pricey stuff but a $16 bottle will last over two months. You can get it anywhere.

I have tried every single irritation shampoo I could get my hands on in N.Dallas and none worked (for me). I bought some fancy expensive stuff at salons and all failed. I probably tried almost 20 shampoos in 2 months. All made my condition worse. My scalp would be red within 2 hours of a shower and the areas that were red were the ares I used minoxidil. Personaly I don't buy into the PPG thing of Dr Lee's. IMO I think that route should be a last resort.

So, if scaling back apps and Nizoral use does not help you. Try Folligen. http://www.Folligen.com It is cheap. Your can order off http://www.hairlosstalk.com as well for the same price. At first this made my scalp burn and itch a little for about 10-20 minutes after an app. But now it has an odd colling effect most of the time.

Good luck. You have many other options to try before you need to worry.

What don't you believe about the PPG thing of Dr. Lee's?

Cassin

Reaction score
A few things. Just speculation but it's my opinion based on never using his products.

I don't believe it is on the scalp long enough to be effective since it dries so fast. I think Rogaine has a reason for the formula being the way it is, and it is not solely based on shelf life. Although shelf life is defenately part of it.

I used the 2% version before and it has 10% more PPG than 5%. All of my problems started when I used 5% within days. So I think the problems could be, the alcohol, the minoxidil and PPG. Not the end all solution that Dr Lee claims with his formula. Maybe his formula is less irritation simply because not near as much minoxidil goes into the scalp. Thus possibly cutting the benefits way down.

Just my thoughts on it.

Axon

Reaction score
Cassin said:
I don't believe it is on the scalp long enough to be effective since it dries so fast. I think Rogaine has a reason for the formula being the way it is, and it is not solely based on shelf life. Although shelf life is defenately part of it.

I am proof that it makes no difference at all. :)

Rogaine = teh garbage omg

scottp999

Reaction score
Dr. Lees is 30% ppg vs. 50% in store bought. It did the trick for me. I am glad he caters to the 7% of the population who has a negative reaction to 50% PPG. Month 1 and 2 are prime shedding months if minoxidil is working. You could be an excellent responder. You have come this far why not wait until month 4-5 to see if you have new hairs that mature.

Cassin

Reaction score
Well I hope my suspicions are wrong, because I would love to try it and fully get rid of my irritation. Something about it drying so fast makes me nervouse to try it.

malhounsen

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback, I think the minoxidil is drying my scalp out, I have dry skin already and have suffered from dandruff my whole life. The nizoral feels so good when I apply it, I best not overdo it though and will probably look into the folligen. Is this something I can apply on days I dont use nizoral?

Cassin

Reaction score
malhounsen said:
thanks for the feedback, I think the minoxidil is drying my scalp out, I have dry skin already and have suffered from dandruff my whole life. The nizoral feels so good when I apply it, I best not overdo it though and will probably look into the folligen. Is this something I can apply on days I dont use nizoral?

Most here use Folligen everyday for 6 weeks or so until their scalp gets back in shape. Now I use it 3 or 4 days a week.

If the alcohol in minoxidil is drying our your scalp, Nizoral might dry it out more.

Again, ease up on minoxidil apps until things get back in order.