Minoxidil after 1200 no shave fue transplant?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used topical minoxidil with topical finasteride for 2 years. My native hairs are reliant on the minoxidil now but was advised to wait a week or more to resume.
I'm afraid that my old hair won't like this and may shed out.
Any advice? Is a week break ok while the grafts heal or should I apply it to the ungrafted areas?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used topical minoxidil with topical finasteride for 2 years. My native hairs are reliant on the minoxidil now but was advised to wait a week or more to resume.
I'm afraid that my old hair won't like this and may shed out.
Any advice? Is a week break ok while the grafts heal or should I apply it to the ungrafted areas?
Apply to the ungrafted areas . That minoxidil most probably will reach the other follicles .

WallaceMa76

My Regimen
Reaction score
As prescribed by my surgeon, I stopped minoxidil and finasteride for a week leading up to my surgery. Resumed finasteride imediately after surgery. Resumed min 2 weeks after surgery, applying to even the grafted area. The common recommendation echoed by hair transplant patients from various surgeons is that min should be stopped for 2 weeks after surgery. I was a early grower as a result after my transplant.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As prescribed by my surgeon, I stopped minoxidil and finasteride for a week leading up to my surgery. Resumed finasteride imediately after surgery. Resumed min 2 weeks after surgery, applying to even the grafted area. The common recommendation echoed by hair transplant patients from various surgeons is that min should be stopped for 2 weeks after surgery. I was a early grower as a result after my transplant.
I've just been applying it to my non grafted area which is large. The grafts were punched in and around the existing hair, so I am concerned about shock loss to those hairs that are accustomed to minoxidil.

All the grafts were crown and a few towards the front. 9 days in...

Last edited:

WallaceMa76

My Regimen
Reaction score
By the 10th day, the grafts are rooted. You should start working out the scabs by the 10th day. It may take a day or two to do this. You must make sure this is done as the dried blood sticks to the growing follicles in a stronger bond than to your scalp. Grafts may grow a little before they start falling out, which usually starts about the 14th day. So as they grow, the blood glues them down and could rip them out of your scalp. So by the 14th day, you should be able to safely apply minoxidil. I've read reports min helps with rebounding from the ugly duckling stage which is a brutal 2-4 or 6 months. But as you can tell, it is hard to have clinical studies on the benefits of minoxidil immediately after hair transplant surgery; too many variables.

For me, I did all of the above. Started applying minoxidil in the 2nd week to all areas on the top of my head. I started climbing out of the ugly duckling stage after 8 weeks. Had full coverage by the 4th month. Either I am an early grower, or minoxidil definitely helped me. It certainly didn't hurt any of my natural hair or even grafted hair.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
By the 10th day, the grafts are rooted. You should start working out the scabs by the 10th day. It may take a day or two to do this. You must make sure this is done as the dried blood sticks to the growing follicles in a stronger bond than to your scalp. Grafts may grow a little before they start falling out, which usually starts about the 14th day. So as they grow, the blood glues them down and could rip them out of your scalp. So by the 14th day, you should be able to safely apply minoxidil. I've read reports min helps with rebounding from the ugly duckling stage which is a brutal 2-4 or 6 months. But as you can tell, it is hard to have clinical studies on the benefits of minoxidil immediately after hair transplant surgery; too many variables.

For me, I did all of the above. Started applying minoxidil in the 2nd week to all areas on the top of my head. I started climbing out of the ugly duckling stage after 8 weeks. Had full coverage by the 4th month. Either I am an early grower, or minoxidil definitely helped me. It certainly didn't hurt any of my natural hair or even grafted hair.
I'll soak them tomorrow. Just checked and I only have the on scab left that I can see that I need to work on.
I'm hoping I dont lose too much native hair in the shed on top.
Donor area has tons of good hair so I'm not worried about that. Plus my hair is quite long right now for coverage.

I'm 54 right right now and the crown started thinning about 6 years ago.
I remembered being worried about my crown thinning when I was in my early 20s
So the progression has been glacial. It seems I'm thinning out like a female on the top. Down the center part and a little quarter size about 3 inches from the front.
I'll fight it until the end. Hoping for good hair this summer.
By the way 1200 grafts took 12 hours because they had to harvest without shaving. It was brutal. 6 hours to harvest lying face down. When it was finished my face looked like a jack o lantern from all the solutions the pumped into my head.
Lol

Last edited:

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not just use oral minoxdil for that week.
Actually, I've been doing a couple of drops under the tongue before bed of 6% min solution. Trouble is I've been spreading 60 mg on my head every day and the paltry systemic amount is probably not enough to keep my native hairs happy.
The Dr asked me if I wanted a prescription for oral but I told him that I can just use the liquid. He said great, even better if you have finasteride mixed in.
He told me that I need to get off minoxidil eventually though anyways. He's big on finasteride and has himself been on it for 27 years.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually, I've been doing a couple of drops under the tongue before bed of 6% min solution. Trouble is I've been spreading 60 mg on my head every day and the paltry systemic amount is probably not enough to keep my native hairs happy.
The Dr asked me if I wanted a prescription for oral but I told him that I can just use the liquid. He said great, even better if you have finasteride mixed in.
He told me that I need to get off minoxidil eventually though anyways. He's big on finasteride and has himself been on it for 27 years.

Interesting. Sounds like you have a good doctor. Two drops of 6% solution is about 6mg, which is a lot for oral minoxidil. Normally it's prescribed at 2mg for hair loss. The highest dose for hair loss is 10mg. Oral minoxidil goes a lot farther than topical minoxidil.