Minoxidil Acts As An Anti-androgen...

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

Thoughts??

"Our characterization of the relationship between Minoxidil and AR showed that minoxidil interferes with AR-related functions, decreasing AR transcriptional activity, reducing expression of targets at the protein level, and suppressing AR-positive LNCaP cell growth. Furthermore, our mechanistic studies showed that the suppressive effect of minoxidil on AR-related functions reflected its ability to directly bind to the AR; interfere with AR-peptide, AR-coregulator and AR N-C interactions; and reduce AR protein stability."

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It slows down baldness.

For people who do laser therapy, and more, it might improve up to twenty percent. Might, because
five percent only works for fourty four percent of men.

However, age means everything (as always). People just recently losing hair of course will make
much better gains.

In the end though, only an Anti DHT agent will do anything. Minoxidil gains are only temporary. I made
that mistake. Although my hair isn't as bad, I saw pictures of my passed away father.

He never did anything for his hair (which always looked bad). And he wasn't that far from where I was,
at my age.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It slows down baldness.

For people who do laser therapy, and more, it might improve up to twenty percent. Might, because
five percent only works for fourty four percent of men.

However, age means everything (as always). People just recently losing hair of course will make
much better gains.

In the end though, only an Anti DHT agent will do anything. Minoxidil gains are only temporary. I made
that mistake. Although my hair isn't as bad, I saw pictures of my passed away father.

He never did anything for his hair (which always looked bad). And he wasn't that far from where I was,
at my age.
"Minoxidil gains are only temporary. I made
that mistake
"

How many months you had maintain your gains with just Minoxidil

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Minoxidil gains are only temporary. I made
that mistake
"

How many months you had maintain your gains with just Minoxidil

For years. It slowed it down. I used five percent on my hairline for decades (until 2013). My hair was between
a Norwood four and five.

Then I used high concentrations. Still not much gains.

Added Finasteride (oral, and both topical). Still not much gains (I suffer mostly from hairline, I'm a Norwood 3, used to
be 3V).

Added other ingredients, and it finally grew back.

However, I'm trying Promox, which is much easier than I thought. They sell 100 milligrams for 117.00, versus Med Wellness Center.

For my customized Med Wellness Center script, I pay 99.00 for 61 milligrams. Murray pharmacist actually used to work for the late Dr. Klein.

Promox comes from Florida. Murray is from Pittsburg PA.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why does it grow hair on your beard or body if it was an anti-androgen? Surely an anti-androgen is more likely to halt facial/body hair growth than it is to grow it?

br1

Reaction score
what other ingredients ??
Most likely, "time".
I believe a lot of ppl are on finasteride/Min, and say it doesn't do much and then after x months, they "add some useless sh*t" and they see growth. Right...

it's probably finasteride/min working, since it needs TIME.

If you say you did not see any progress after at least 2 or 3 YEARS, then , OK.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
This isn't the main MOA for minoxidil. If it was, then minoxidil wouldn't be needed in addition to finasteride for maximum results.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/470297_6

Nuck et al.[57] studied the antiandrogenic potential of minoxidil on androgen-dependent cutaneous structures of the flank organ of female golden Syrian hamsters. Neither 1% nor 5% minoxidil topical solution applied to one flank for 3 weeks prevented the androgen-dependent growth of the pigmented spot, sebaceous glands or hair follicle diameter induced by subcutaneous capsules filled with testosterone. However, significant inhibition was seen following topical application of 5% progesterone. The effect of minoxidil on human hair growth is not confined to androgen-dependent hair follicles and these findings are consistent with the conclusion that minoxidil does not act through androgen pathways. However, Sato et al.[58] reported that minoxidil stimulates 17ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (17ß-HSD) in cultured human dermal papilla cells and also has a small stimulatory effect on 5-reductase activity. 17ß-HSD catalyses the interconversion of testosterone and androstenedione and may therefore increase or reduce androgen responses. A high concentration of minoxidil (0.5 mmol L-1) was used in this study and the relevance of the results to hair growth in vivo is unclear.

As long as we're on the subject, I'll also post this before some naturopath comes along with the silly "blood flow for nutrients" theory again:

The idea that minoxidil stimulates hair growth by increasing cutaneous blood flow has been the subject of two studies giving contradictory results. Wester et al.[59] studied the effect of topical minoxidil (1%, 3%, 5%) on blood flow in balding scalp using laser Doppler velocimetry (LDV) and photopulse plethymography. Both methods showed an increase in skin blood flow following application of minoxidil that was statistically significant with the 5% solution. On the other hand, Bunker and Dowd,[60] also using LDV, failed to find any change in skin blood flow following application of 3% minoxidil topical solution to the scalp in 10 balding men, whereas all but one showed an increase in blood flow after applying the vasodilator 0.1% hexyl nicotinate. The difference in results may have been due to the higher concentration of minoxidil used in the first study although, as Bunker and Dowd point out, 3% minoxidil topical solution is clinically effective. Sakita et al.[61] studied the effect of minoxidil topical solution on the hair follicle vasculature in the rat using transmission electron microscopy. In minoxidil-treated animals there was no difference in the total area of follicular capillaries compared with controls but there was an increase in capillary fenestrations. The authors suggested that the increase in fenestrations may be due to vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) (see below), but the functional significance of this observation was not discussed.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been above baseline on minoxidil + 2% keto + LLLT for 17.5 months
Nice, I saw your pics and your hairline looks good.

When you started see the results and you feel your hair still improve or start lose?

I'm starting to see small hairs on my old hairline(nw1) and I'm still in the 4 week 1x/day minoxidil.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score

When you started see the results and you feel your hair still improve or start lose?

I'm starting to see small hairs on my old hairline(nw1) and I'm still in the 4 week 1x/day minoxidil.

I don't understand ur question

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't understand ur question
He wants to know at what month you started seeing results? And is your hair still improving, or have you started losing ground?

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score

it took about six months to see results and now at month 17.5 I'm still improving.