Minoxidil 5% or 2%?

basil_555

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a medium thinning in temple areas, but its quite ok on the front. I guess its level 1 by Norwood. Should I start with 2% or 5% minoxidil? Also, if I start with 5% for faster results, will I be able to use 2% after that to maintain my hair?

Thanks.

mon

Established Member
Reaction score
Definetely go with the 5% and also add either propecia or revivogen. The combination of growth stimulant and combatting DHT to prevent further minituarization is very important.

basil_555

Reaction score
One more question that interests me is if I stop using Minoxidil, will I loose only the hair it helped me to regrew or I can also loose a certain amount of hair I had initially before starting the treatment?

The Gardener

Reaction score
You will lose hair to the same point you would have been if you had not used minoxidil all along.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think 2% and 5% versions of minoxidil are essentially the same thing. I'd use whichever is cheaper (per milligram of minoxidil).

Bryan

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I think 2% and 5% versions of minoxidil are essentially the same thing. I'd use whichever is cheaper (per milligram of minoxidil).

Bryan

Any reason you think that?

Just curious as I had not seen that viewpoint before...

joe.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
What I mean by that is that quantities of the 2% and 5% versions containing equal amounts of minoxidil are about equally effective. For example, 2 1/2 mL of 2% would be about as effective as 1 mL of 5%.

Bryan

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:

No! That would result in more topical exposure to ethanol, and we know just how dangerous that can be. ;-)

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan said:
What I mean by that is that quantities of the 2% and 5% versions containing equal amounts of minoxidil are about equally effective. For example, 2 1/2 mL of 2% would be about as effective as 1 mL of 5%.

Bryan

That's right.

Also, Bryan didn't go on to say that, in a study he posted long ago, 2 percent performed 77 percent as well as 5 percent over the long-term (with 1 ml dosages).

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i suggest you start with 5% to get faster result and maybe switch to 2% to maintain what you gain.