minoxidil +3 times a day

G

why not use minoxidil (5% - 1ml) 3 times a day? sometimes maybe more??

why the rules with max 2ml a day??

can it hurt applying more??

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Theoretically - you can apply minoxidil once every 4 hours (if your scalp could handle it).

G

my scalp has no problems with the minoxidil..... so i'll go for 3 times a day...

oni

Reaction score
It's all about the money, you could dip your head in a bucket of minoxidil for 5mins four times a day but is it going to make your head hair any better than putting a couple of ml on twice a day? if your head can stand it and you pocket to then go for it!

G

ok thank you guys.... i'll go for it, and just ''listen to my head''!

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you read the minoxidil bottle, it says putting any more then 2x a day will not speed up results or anything

G

ehhh no!! guess we dont have the same minoxidil bottle!

and if stronger minoxidil is better than week minoxidil... Then i THINK more minoxidil must also be better than less if you can tolerate it... but of course non of us can tell for sure! guess i'll just have to try and see what happens....

montrose

Reaction score
was reading about a guy on hairsite.com who applys minoxidil 4 times a day, and said he got great results. Anybody have any experience applying it more than the recommended dosage.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I actually started applying 3 times a day at weekends, and when I was off on holiday over Christmas. I also apply about 1.5ml per time (rather than recommended 1ml) as I'm diffuse thinning all over. I figure it can't hurt and I can afford it so why not.

Obviously work your way up slowly and make sure you aren't getting any of the listed side-effects. I don't seem to have had any yet, I figure the recommended dose must be a pretty safe/conservative one else it wouldn't be sold without prescription.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Guest said:

See the study abstract below, which found that even twice a day appication is apparently already fairly close to the frequency that gets maximum results. I've underlined the last sentence in the abstract, just for extra emphasis:

Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1989 Apr;45(4):396-402.

"Absorption of minoxidil after topical application: effect of frequency and site of application"
Eller MG, Szpunar GJ, Della-Coletta AA.

Clinical Pharmacy Unit, Upjohn Company, Cincinnati, OH.

Abstract
The effect of application site and frequency on the systemic absorption of topical minoxidil was studied in 52 normal men. Subjects received 1 ml 3% minoxidil solution applied four, six, or eight times daily to the scalp or two, four, six, or eight times daily to the chest for 14 days. Serum and urine were collected and analyzed for minoxidil. No systemic minoxidil accumulation occurred from increasing application frequency to the scalp. Trends in the chest data suggest that absorption may have been lower with the twice-daily regimen. Absorption through the scalp and chest were similar for the lower-frequency regimens; however, trends in the eight-times-a-day regimens suggest that absorption may have been somewhat greater from application to the scalp. Systemic minoxidil accumulation resulting from frequent application is unlikely. The initial dose probably saturates the skin for a period of time longer than the dosing intervals examined.

Bukowski

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a post from a poster on hairsite who saw no results at all with using minoxidil twice a day. When he used four times a day, that's when he saw results

Man,its been so long since Ive posted here. I think my last entry was in late 2004 !! Yep,that long ago. I met so many great people here. The reason ive been gone so long is that once I FINALLY found a solution for my hairloss,my life became super active again and I never looked back. I didnd have time to come to hairsite any more.I was no longer depressed. I didnt think it was fair to everyone here who is suffering the way I did If I didnt let you know what finally changed my life. What I did MAY work for you. I feel that I owed it to all of you because if you were anything like me,you were probably told,and you probably red that Rogaine is basically a joke.You have all probably read that Rogaine either works or it doesnt so dont waste your time ever putting on more than the recommended one "bulb" full from your basic sized bottle. Im here to let you know that I too thought Rogaine was a waste of time and full of S$%^. I was wrong,.WHY? Because IF putting on more,or applying more than twice a day isnt a good idea,then why was Rogaine originally sold as 2% but then extra strength 5% Rogaine became the standard? Ill tell you why, because the more you use,the more hair you regain. I used Rogaine at regular dosage for 5 lousy years and it NEVER did a thing. But then,a funny thing happened.... My local Costco started offering 5% Rogaine at insanely cheap,bulk prices so I decided to use it between 4 or 5 times per day. Yeah,yeah I know,"thats a bit crazy isnt it?" Well,No it isnt, Because?... I grew back 90 % of my hair and totally halted any further progression. Im almost 37 years old but now,am always approached by woman because of my confidence and never thought to be a day over 27 0r 28. All in all,my life totally changed and thats why I decided to come back. To Let all of you know that there MAY be hope for you. I didnt want to keep my secret forever,not if it could be used to help my fellow sufferers. I once was JUST like you,reading here at hairsite,feeling crushed. Im telling you,PLEASE take a chance that maybe,just maybe im not full of s#$% and maybe using Rogaine more aggressively will change your life. I know theres a chance that it wont work for you,and im deeply sorry for that but do you really want to live the rest of your life,losing more and more hair as you wonder "maybe I should have given it a shot" "maybe that guy was serious". Take care and Happy Holidays. Warmest regards, J.Z. aka Justin2Rue

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guest said:

can it hurt applying more??

Why not just try it and tell u if it works for you ?

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
See the study abstract below, which found that even twice a day appication is apparently already fairly close to the frequency that gets maximum results.

It doesn't say that at all, it says twice a day application is fairly close to the frequency that gets maximum systemic absorption. Nothing to do with results.

And in fact the line that says:
No systemic minoxidil accumulation occurred from increasing application frequency to the scalp.

.. basically shows that isn't really conclusive either, since there is 0 absorption regardless of the dose anyway.

Therefore that study is only relevant is confirming we should have no more side-effects (or at least those side-effects related to systemic absorption - cardio-vascular etc) on the increased dose.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
hairhoper said:
Bryan said:
See the study abstract below, which found that even twice a day appication is apparently already fairly close to the frequency that gets maximum results.

It doesn't say that at all, it says twice a day application is fairly close to the frequency that gets maximum systemic absorption. Nothing to do with results.

I've often felt that the systemic absorption of minoxidil _may_ be a significant part of its beneficial effect on hair when applied topically. I've posted about that a number of times over the years. Some evidence supporting that idea is an old study done by Price in which she applied topical minoxidil to only HALF of the scalps of some thinning women. The half which didn't get the drug improved, too, although not as much as the half that did get the drug. That suggests to me that systemic absorption may be an important factor.

hairhoper said:
And in fact the line that says:
No systemic minoxidil accumulation occurred from increasing application frequency to the scalp.

.. basically shows that isn't really conclusive either, since there is 0 absorption regardless of the dose anyway.

ZERO sytemic absorption of topical minoxidil?? I suggest you do some reading on that! :)

Bukowski

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan is right it does get systemic absorbed. I've read often about guys growing more bodyhair while on minoxidil. It's the reason why women only are supposed to use the 2% solution.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I guess I phrased that wrong. I do of course think that systemic absorption of Minoxidil occurs. To clarify, the study Bryan quoted says:

...which means the increased dosage made zero difference to systemic absorption. My point still stands, the only relevance of the study Bryan posted is that there would be no more system absorption related side-effects at 8x a day than at 2x a day.

The study itself says nothing about results, they were not trying to do so and I don't think you can really string that study together with another vague study to say cumulative systemic absorption is directly proportional to results.

Bram

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hee Guys,

The evidence for using minoxidil more then two times a day to get better results seems strong!

Besides the opinions on this thread I came across the fact the minoxidil has a halftime of 8 hours.
This means that it would be effective to apply minoxidil every 8 hours.
Off course for a lot of people this is to much of a hassel, but if you apply it first around 7, then around 14, and finally around 21, your results will improve by 150%!

Cheers!