Minoxdil/Propecia/Nizoral/Scalpexercise/Folligen-->too mu

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on the big 3 for a month and a half now and things have been going alright. I'm having a problem with my scalp condition though. Lots of dandruff and itching like crazy. Would incorporating folligen into my regimen be too much for my scalp to handle. I know its good at eliminating dandruff. But i dont want to use excessive measures; i've only just turned 18.

G

Re: Minoxdil/Propecia/Nizoral/Scalpexercise/Folligen-->to

Kramer3 said:
I've been on the big 3 for a month and a half now and things have been going alright. I'm having a problem with my scalp condition though. Lots of dandruff and itching like crazy. Would incorporating folligen into my regimen be too much for my scalp to handle. I know its good at eliminating dandruff. But i dont want to use excessive measures; i've only just turned 18.

Folligen is good stuff. Highly recommended here.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you think it'll be too much though, considering my orignal regimen? i dont want to overwhelm my scalp.

Reaction score
I am still just on Propecia and Nizoral...but I noticed a litle more thinning and itching.

I was about to get Folligen and soon add minoxidil.

Where can I get minoxidil (not rogaine) over the counter , or is it only prescribed by doctors?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
WRX_STi_Driver said:
Where can I get minoxidil (not rogaine) over the counter , or is it only prescribed by doctors?
You can buy it at any drugstore, and even some supermarkets. But the best price on minoxidil is from Costco, $20 for four bottles.

Kramer, your scalp will probably survive, and might even thank you for it, but will your wallet and scedual? And keep in mind, Folligen is GREEN. You'd only want to put it on at night.

I dont think folligen will help you get rid of the dandruff. I have that problem myself whenever I grow my hair out. For me, the solution is easy, but if you dont want to buzz your hair down then you might want to try Head and Shoulders on the nizoral off days or ask about other ways of clearing that up.

Reaction score
Yeah, for some reason I get bad flakes when I let my hair grow long. What I do is:

day 1: Nizoral
day 2: Normal Shampoo...tried some green bottle of hair thicking shampoo.
day 3: T-Sal
day 4: Normal Shampoo
day 5: Nizoral
day 6: T-Gel
day 7: Normal Shampoo

repeat...and flaking goes away...but is this too harsh on the scalp?

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
If your shampoo schedule is too harsh on the scalp then I have no hope..
I use Nizoral twice a week and head n'shoulders the rest of the time. My hair is longer though, and quite wavy. Do you think my problem could be overuse of hair product. I use hairspray extensively almost every single day.
If folligen won't cure the scalp then what affect does it have?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Kramer3 said:
Do you think my problem could be overuse of hair product. I use hairspray extensively almost every single day.
If folligen won't cure the scalp then what affect does it have?

Hairspray probably wont do much to your scalp, but it does create tension on the follicle, which doesnt help your situation. And its called folligen, not scalpigen :p its copper peptides; nutrients for your follicles.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Admittingly, i know nothing about folligen. I've just heard some posts from people claiming it helped their scalp. So basically folligen's just another product to promote regrowth? I already got enough sh*t doing that. I just need something to help these flakes.

Reaction score
Flux,

I stopped by the store after work and the pharmasist said the only way to get minoxidil over the counter was to get it through Rogaine (or its off brands...and I think they are all alcohol based...which is what causes the dry/flaking irritation). I don't like the way Rogaine dries out my scalp! But he did tell me that minoxidil in it's purest form can me purchased through prescription.

How is everyone else doing it?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
crap, double post.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You actually want 100% Minoxidil? Good luck. We generally refer to generic Rogaine 5% as minoxidil. I dont think anyone here is getting it pure. I really doubt youre going to find that without a prescription, and I doubt youre going to be able to get a prescription for it. Any doctor will tell you to just use Rogaine.

Reaction score
I didn't mean 100% minoxidil....and you answered my question. I didn't know that when people said minoxidil they were in fact refering to Rogaine or its generic.

Someone once told me that there are forms of minoxidil that will not dry the scalp because they are not Alcohol based. Any truth to that?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
yes, get it from here minoxidil.com. I believe they offer ppg free minoxidil which does not contain the alcohol as its vehicle for absorbtion.