Minimum amount of minoxidil to be effective?

shel74nf

Reaction score
Hi,

I've tried using minoxidil lately, but have had to stop because of the sides..The past couple of days i've just been putting a few drops(maybe .3ml 5%) a day , because i think that minoxidil is probably my best chance of maintaining this crumbling hairline of mine...just wondering if this is even worth the effort? thanks,

Shel

CCS

Reaction score
Minoxidil does not maintain hair. it gives you maybe 100 extra hairs while you use it, and your male pattern baldness follows its normal course but may be masked while you are gaining those 100 hairs. When you get off it, you lose the 100 really fast.

To stop male pattern baldness, you need 5ar blockers (finasteride or dutasteride. fatty acids in revivogen vials also help) and AR blockers (RU, spironolactone, eucapil) also help.

SODs can fight it too, but unless you spend $100 on enough proxiphen to cover you male pattern baldness area, most SODs will just slow the hairloss a bit. Their main benifit is regrowing the small hairs that the hormone treatments don't get. Unlike minoxidil, I think the SOD grown hair might be maintained by 5ar blocker after stopping SOD use. Some cheap SODs are AC spray and Folligen, but only the peptides in AC spray and Tricomin have been proven.

As for the minoxidil, that small dose can probably grow almost as much hair as the full doses, as long as you cover all the surface area.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sorry college, again is this 100 hairs on the whole scalp??

CCS

Reaction score
I think it is per circular inch in the vertex.

I've seen other studies that say 40 hairs. actually it was a graph in a link bryan posted. i hope he finds and responds to it. It shows propecia growing twice as much hair as rogaine, which contradicts the other study he posted.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that was a bugged graph in that one study. I've read a whole bunch of Propecia and Rogaine studies, and reported Rogaine haircounts are almost always higher than reported Propecia haircounts (which shouldn't necessarily be interpreted to mean that Rogaine is "more effective" in some sense than Propecia).

Bryan

shel74nf

Reaction score
ok thanks, i seem to be tolerating this dose much better, so i'll keep it up and see how it goes...