Mike's Story - (17 / Derm says T.E. from trauma or meds)

MH56

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently 17 and my problem started in december of last year when I had dental surgery. I had a reaction to the anestisia and was in the ICU in a medical induced coma for 3 days. After I got out things were fine, I started growing my hair out longer(Around 3 1/2-4 inches at the very longest) and after a while started to notice a slightly thinner area in my hair but didnt pay much attention to it since I have had very full hair all my life. After about 2-3 months though I decided to cut my hair to wear it shorter and when I did noticed that my hair had started to thin quite noticeably in a 3x3(roughly) area inbetween my hairline and my crown. This bothered me a great deal since I have never had thin hair, so I watched it for a while. It didnt seem to ease up any, and seemed to be getting worse so my father and I made an appointment at the dermatologist where after hearing about the surgery, said that it was most likely Telogen Effluvium caused by the trauma or medication from the surgery. She said that it would continue to fall out while in the telogen phase but after about 6 months should start to clear up. Well its been about 6 months since then and things have not seemed to have gotten any better. I had been taking biotin(stopped as of the past few months) but the thinning has widened in range. I dont think its male pattern baldness since my hairline is not receeding, its actually a part where the hair has not thinned. As well as diffuse thinning it also seems like the natural parts in my hair are widening out. This is bothering me a great deal as I have always taken great pride in my hair and feel im to young to be experiencing this kind of thing. But while it is thinning behind my hairline and onto my crown, its still not to the point where you can clearly see my scalp or anything. All of the results from my blood test came back normal, so I was wondering if anyone of you have had any experiance with this, or know anything about it so I could get a better understanding of it, and the time it will take to start noticeing the hair growing back. I am hoping to see some growth back soon seeing as how this is the 6th month from the estimated time it began. Thank you for reading.