Microcirculation and excessive oil

tal17

Reaction score
Sup all,
A bit more then a year back, I was on a Hair Club regimen called EXT. This regimen inluded shampoo, some sort of scalp cleanser (removes excess oils), and conditioner for the showering part. After the shower, I used a 'Nutrient Booster' which increases microcirculation in the scalp (blood circulation) to give the hair what it needs to grow and be healthy. Then I used 2% minoxidil that came with the kit from Hair Club.

Now, point to the above is that this regimen worked for me. Very well. I was growing new hair and my shedding (though I never shed alot to begin with) reduced quite a bit.

Reason I'm not using EXT now is cuz Hair Club up'ed the price to $200 CDN a month which I just think is riducilous. Plus I can't afford that.

Anyways, the new regimen I'm on is Revivogen once daily (usually at night before sleep), Nizoral 2% two to three times weekly, and whatever conditioner I have at the time. Revivogen conditioner, Nioxin conditioner, Pantine Pro V, or Emu oil based, or Nurish Vitamin Conditioner (this stuff is amazing). After shower, I use the 5% standard minoxidil from http://www.xandrox.com and 5% spironolactone on my thinning areas (mainly temples and crown). Now I've only been on this regimen for a couple months, and just 3 weeks ago, introduced 5% spironolactone to the team, not long enough to see if this works, but, when I was on EXT, I noticed the benefits within a few months time. The only major dif that I can see is the 'Nutrient Booster' a.k.a. microcirculation increaser in the scalp.

So my question is; does microcirculation help at all? Is it a 'must' to increase hair growth/grow new hair? To stop the thinning/balding? Are there any products that do this?

Also, I have had oily skin since I was a child. I've always had oily skin including on my scalp. After I shower, my scalp is oil free for about 30 minz to an hour before it starts up again. And I mean its oily. To the point where my friend thought I was sweating before he touched my head and found it was just oil and I had just showered a few hours before. Does this excess oil play a role in male pattern baldness? Or 'can' it be a factor? Or can it be the main cause for my thinning/balding if DHT is not?

Thanks for all your help...

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tal17 said:
A bit more then a year back, I was on a Hair Club regimen called EXT. This regimen inluded shampoo, some sort of scalp cleanser (removes excess oils), and conditioner for the showering part. After the shower, I used a 'Nutrient Booster' which increases microcirculation in the scalp (blood circulation) to give the hair what it needs to grow and be healthy. Then I used 2% minoxidil that came with the kit from Hair Club.

Now, point to the above is that this regimen worked for me. Very well. I was growing new hair and my shedding (though I never shed alot to begin with) reduced quite a bit.

Congrats! Looks like you were a responder to the 2% minoxidil!!! Hope you didnt pay too much for all that other crap... Generic 2% minoxidil goes for $10 these days...

tal17 said:
Reason I'm not using EXT now is cuz Hair Club up'ed the price to $200 CDN a month which I just think is riducilous.

Whoops! Spoke to soon :lol:

tal17 said:
Anyways, the new regimen I'm on is Revivogen once daily (usually at night before sleep), Nizoral 2% two to three times weekly, and whatever conditioner I have at the time. Revivogen conditioner, Nioxin conditioner, Pantine Pro V, or Emu oil based, or Nurish Vitamin Conditioner (this stuff is amazing). After shower, I use the 5% standard minoxidil from http://www.xandrox.com and 5% spironolactone on my thinning areas (mainly temples and crown). Now I've only been on this regimen for a couple months, and just 3 weeks ago, introduced 5% spironolactone to the team, not long enough to see if this works, but, when I was on EXT, I noticed the benefits within a few months time. The only major dif that I can see is the 'Nutrient Booster' a.k.a. microcirculation increaser in the scalp.

Seems like the only thing missing is the kitchen sink! Good lord bud.

tal17 said:
So my question is; does microcirculation help at all? Is it a 'must' to increase hair growth/grow new hair? To stop the thinning/balding? Are there any products that do this?

How would it help bud? I'm willing to keep an open mind :wink:

But you do UNDERSTAND androgenetic alopecia is caused by HORMONES! The term androgenetic alopecia breaks down to :

andro= androgens
genetic = self explanatory

alopecia = hairloss

Put them together and it refers to hairloss as a result of male hormones acting on genetically predisposed hair follicle resulting in atrophy and, eventually, permanent loss. Now, hairloss doesnt happen from DHT on the scalp! It doesnt happen from DHT in the blood per say. Androgenetic alopecia is caused when free roaming testosterone infuses into hair follicles cells from the bloodstream. The 5ar enzyme then converts the testosterone into DHT inside the hair follicle cell itself. The DHT (along with any other androgen) binds to the androgen receptor which then signals the cell nucleus of the presents of androgens. The cell nucleus then "expresses" certain genetic code that has a negative effect on the growth of the hair follicle; The hair follicle atrophies and, eventually, dies permanently.

Now how would a "Nutrient Booster" interrupt this process? Or, perhaps if it is like minoxidil, how would it help stimulate the hair follicle cells to grow? By feeding it vitamins? LoL If you believe that then next time instead of eating food via your mouth, just rub your food all over your body and let all those nutrients "absorb" :wink:

tal17 said:
Also, I have had oily skin since I was a child. I've always had oily skin including on my scalp. After I shower, my scalp is oil free for about 30 minz to an hour before it starts up again. And I mean its oily. To the point where my friend thought I was sweating before he touched my head and found it was just oil and I had just showered a few hours before. Does this excess oil play a role in male pattern baldness? Or 'can' it be a factor? Or can it be the main cause for my thinning/balding if DHT is not?

The sebaceous glands (glands that produce sebum or "oil") are stimulated by androgens such as DHT; Sebum is rich in DHT. However, sebum isnt going to cause any hairloss (remember, most of the damage from DHT is caused from the intra-cellular production of DHT not from "outside" DHT) . My dad who is 53yrs with a very thick full head of hair is about the greasiest person I know! However, over active sebum glands might point to excessive androgen levels and/or excessive sensitivity to androgens.

What do I suggest you do? Finasteride daily with Nizoral 2% shampoo 2x or 3x weekly... Since you're already on minoxidil you ought to stay on it or risk a massive shed by quitting... Now drop all that other crap. See where you and your wallet are in a year and go from there.

Simple, effective, and cheap **WITH** proven results! Good lord, what more could you ask for dare I beg? :hairy:

tal17

Reaction score
Thanks for that informative reply sock. Its much appreciated.
I was just asking since I wasn't completely sure.

Forgot to mention I have been taking Propecia for over a year now.

And why are you so freaked with my setup? I'm only using 1 shampoo + nizoral, 1 conditioner (I alternate between them depending on what is available to me), minoxidil and spironolactone for my topcial treament and Propecia as the only oral. I don't think its too excessive.

And to clarify, I never paid $200 for the EXT stuff from hiar club. I stopped once they upped the price. I was only paying around $50 CDN every 1.5 months.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tal17 said:
Forgot to mention I have been taking Propecia for over a year now.

That is super :)

That is the single best thing any man can use to prevent any further thinning!

tal17 said:
And why are you so freaked with my setup? I'm only using 1 shampoo + nizoral, 1 conditioner (I alternate between them depending on what is available to me), minoxidil and spironolactone for my topcial treament and Propecia as the only oral. I don't think its too excessive.

I'm a very firm believer in "the less the better". Having multiple types of shampoos and conditioners arent necessary! One cheap bottle of mild baby shampoo and one bottle of Nizoral 2% is all one needs when it comes to washing their hair. That is a total of two bottles sitting in your bathroom :)

After that, all one needs is one little bitty blue Proscar pill but into 1/4ths... Pop one of those bad boys daily... The end. Finasteride alone is 80% success and with the Nizoral 2% the results should be even better!

Finally, for regrowth, all a guy needs is generic 2% or 5% minoxidil.

Now breaking it all down, you now have one little pill bottle, two bottles of shampoo (in total), and one bottle of minoxidil. Assuming you buy namebrand Proscar and Nizoral shampoo from www.unitedpharmacies.com (the cheapest long-term route being 90 pills of Proscar at once and two bottle of Nizoral at once) your montly cost is only $21 USD! Add in generic minoxidil (I can buy 3 months of the 5% for $20 USD) and that brings the monthly total to $27 USD. For $27 bucks you can have a rock solid routine of all the essentials that will work for the vast majority of men.

Anything extra has no guarantee of making your routine any better and it just adds to the potential of "burn out". Burn out being what happens to some men who go gun-ho with several different products only to eventually drop everything! Keeping it simple and inexpensive is key when you take into account that you must continue to use these treatments for as long as you want your hair!

tal17 said:
And to clarify, I never paid $200 for the EXT stuff from hiar club. I stopped once they upped the price. I was only paying around $50 CDN every 1.5 months.

Well that isnt too bad *but* keep in mind you were spending close to $30 CDN a month just for 2% minoxidil! I can get over 3 months of minoxidil 5% for less then that! So, it wasnt that bad of a cost but you werent getting your money's worth if you ask me!

The Gardener

Reaction score
I couldn't say it any better than Socks did. It's good advice, right on the money.