Micheal Steal, new GOP leader, wants to reach out to gays

CCS

Reaction score
For the first time, GOP used a series of runoff voting to pick their leader, instead of just using "highest votes recieved wins after first round".

He's fiscally conservative, but says GOP needs to change course and reach out to gays and pro-choice fiscal conservatives. Sounds like he leans a bit closer to the libertarians than the typical republican. Do you think that will succeed in winning elections, if he goes that route?

The Gardener

Reaction score
He's probably going to split the GOP up.

Which I think its in the process of doing anyways.... I think a lot of fiscal conservatives from Wall Street are finding they don't have affinity anymore with the rural religious right. And, I think a lot of the libertarian wing of the GOP are sickened by the recent past Administration's corporate welfare, and frankly don't believe that Terri Schiavo's feeding tube should have been a Federal issue.

The "Reagan coalition" was formed as a combination of the religious right and the Wall Street fiscal folks. I think this coalition has been broken. My guess... a realignment is in the works. I think the GOP, if I were asked how to make it re-emerge as a strong party, should slide to the libertarian pole and shed the evangelical social conservatives. I have a feeling that this is what Steele is trying to do, judging from his quotes... and it would be a good move. Return "Eisenhower" values to the GOP. There are a lot of fiscally conservative Democrats who might cross back over to the GOP (myself included) if they shed their overt religiosity, destruction of civil liberties, and imperialist foreign policy. Remember that the tipping point in Congress in the past two elections have been the "Blue Dog Democrats", that's the pivot point. This is just my opinion, of course.