methionine is in short supply for vegetarians

CCS

Reaction score
Most plants have so little methionine. Even if your beens have 50g of protein, half of it can't be made into muscle because the methionine is the limiting factor. No problem with meat, though. Just beaf is low in tryptophan. Fish have the most methionine. It's bull sh*t if you ask me.

Methionine is the most expensive L amino acid powder. I'm not sure how well it is absorbed, though.

G

Do you like organic chemistry? Or are you more of a thermodynamics guy?

CCS

Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Do you like organic chemistry? Or are you more of a thermodynamics guy?

I like it all.

Anyway, I looked at the non-essential amino acids, and they complement each other too. Oats are very good.

G

I'm not into thermodynamics as much. I'm big on O-chem. By the way, what do they call it in texas? Do you guys call it O-chem(west coast) or Orgo (east coast)?

G

badasshairday said:
I'm not into thermodynamics as much. I'm big on O-chem. By the way, what do they call it in texas? Do you guys call it O-chem(west coast) or Orgo (east coast)?

CCS,

Why don't you want to discuss chemistry with me?

CCS

Reaction score
We call it O-chem. And you took my post off topic. Why don't you want to discuss methionine? As a chemical engineer, I have to be familiar with every branch of chemistry. We design stuff and use it all regularly. We don't know nearly as much as speciallists, though.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
We call it O-chem. And you took my post off topic. Why don't you want to discuss methionine? As a chemical engineer, I have to be familiar with every branch of chemistry. We design stuff and use it all regularly. We don't know nearly as much as speciallists, though.

Thanks for the response. Sorry about taking the post off topic. BTW, doesn't rice or beans have high methionine. I think beans and rice are complementary to each other. One has tryptophan, the other has methionine. Lentil beans I think.

CCS

Reaction score
Rice has twice as much methionine as as beens, but not as much methionine as any of the meats. I don't know what the ideal ratio of amino acids is, but since bork and beaf and fish have similar ratios, which are different from the plant foods, and I know beef is low in tryptophan, which is the only are it differs from pork, I assume humans would benefit most from the pork ratio, which happens to have a very high protein score. Fish have more methionine than pork, and a higher score. Pork protein is 3% methinonine, and fish 3.6%. Rice is 2.5%, corn 2%, and beans 1%. Oats are also close to 2.5%. Rice is low in lysine, not tryptophan. Rice does complement beans, but even the combo does not get hearly as high a protein score as pork or chicken or especially fish. By taking L-methionine, I can increase my usable protein by over 50%, while supplementing my 120g of protein per day with only 1g of methionine. At $11 for 100g, that is $3 per month, but $3 well spent.

G

Rice has twice as much methionine as as beens, but not as much methionine as any of the meats. I don't know what the ideal ratio of amino acids is, but since bork and beaf and fish have similar ratios, which are different from the plant foods, and I know beef is low in tryptophan, which is the only are it differs from pork, I assume humans would benefit most from the pork ratio, which happens to have a very high protein score. Fish have more methionine than pork, and a higher score. Pork protein is 3% methinonine, and fish 3.6%. Rice is 2.5%, corn 2%, and beans 1%. Oats are also close to 2.5%. Rice is low in lysine, not tryptophan. Rice does complement beans, but even the combo does not get hearly as high a protein score as pork or chicken or especially fish. By taking L-methionine, I can increase my usable protein by over 50%, while supplementing my 120g of protein per day with only 1g of methionine. At $11 for 100g, that is $3 per month, but $3 well spent.

Well you are right, of course rice will not have the same protein score as any meat, but at least you will get your complete set of amino acids even if you are a vegitarian. Pork on the other hand may have a nice protein score, but look at that nasty *** saturated fat in it. Pork is just nasty for you. Chick and fish are much healthier.

CCS

Reaction score
fish is healthier than chicken, and has a better amino acid profile with extra methionine to balance the beans a bit. Chicken breast and eg whites are good, but mackerel is $1.20 for a 1 pound can. And it is 60% protein, vs other meats which are 50% or lower even if trimmed. So that saves money.

I've been having horredous gas for a long time, and I think the beans are to blame. I'm about to give up and get most of my protein from mackerel and oats, and stop eating beans. I take a lot of beano and it does nothing. This is rediculous. I go to parties and it takes 5 minutes before I have to make trips outside or else everyone will rave about how bad it stinks, an say, "no, seriously, it really smells horrible it here. What the hell is that smell." Instead of just "OK, who farted?". I even ate a bunch of live culture yougart for a few days, and I thought it went a way for a while. Maybe that is the key. I'll try it again.

CCS

Reaction score
the smell is knocking me over right now as I type. Unfortunately it is warmer than hair, and therefore lighter, so it floats upwards, but also lingers in my clothes to make a bad colon cologne.

CCS

Reaction score
though maybe it is all the collard greens I eat. I hope not. I need those for vitamin K.

G

the smell is knocking me over right now as I type. Unfortunately it is warmer than hair, and therefore lighter, so it floats upwards, but also lingers in my clothes to make a bad colon cologne.

Dude, thats gross.

I think eating a ton of mackeral isn't going to be all that fresh smelling either. You may not fart as much, but when you do, its going to stink real bad.