Merck lists "DEPRESSION" as possible Propecia side effect

Mens Rea

Reaction score
My endo recommended that i take every weekend or so off the zinc.

I think this was good advice

Ive been taking 100mg for a while though, not sure if it helps or not tbh

Cassin

Reaction score
Whelp...plain as day.

If I could go back to when I started taking finasteride knowing what I know now I doubt I would have started taking it. Any of you guys taking finasteride I strongly urge you to do so under a Dr's care. Don't self medicate and diagnose.

I have been going to the Dr for my finasteride since day 1. I promise you the appoint is short and painless.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I've been convinced the sides are higher than 2% of users but by no means 50%. I'd say that there is a wider variety of side effects and it seems to affect about 15%, *maybe* 20% of users.

I'd still recommend anyone with hair loss to start on finasteride until a better solution comes along.

Bobbers2011

Reaction score
finfighter said:
Aren't you still using .25 mg/day or am I thinking of someone else

I'm currently in another self trial with finasteride at .25 with Zinc supplentation, I have been back on it for about 6 days. I wanted to give a reduced dose a shot alongside Zinc to see if the Zinc would prevent sides as some here have suggested.

It's really a last ditch effort out of pure desperation, I really don't want to lose my hair. for the three months that I quit I felt like I was 16 again, While on finasteride I didn't even realise my sex drive had reduced! I quit it due to Non sexual sides. I'm aware and believe in the risks, but I'm at a loss of what else to do. It's not much different than a ciggarette smoker who continues to smoke despite the known risk!

Would be interested to know how you're getting on with your reduced doseage Finfighter & whether your experiencing any sides. Is the zinc worth a go then? What does that do & is it safe to take such high doses above the recommended 15mg per day RDA?

I quit in January to try & get my body & mind back to normal after having dropped down to 0.5mg every other day for about a year after reducing from 0.5mg a day for a few years and before that 1mg every day for a few more years!

Feeling miles better but the thinning is appearing at the receding bits & I'm now in a bit of a puzzle over what to do - I've been taking 0.5mg about twice a week for the last few weeks & I've ordered more finasteride but not sure how often to take it to avoid side effects but still for it to have an effect on what its supposed to! I've had a look at alternatives - thanks for the great link by the way Finfighter, but I don't think I could be arsed with the topical route every night & morning.

How long do you think it takes for your bodies hormone levels etc. to get completley back to normal after quitting - I think it might be worth a really good break from it before starting again.

Has anyone out there had much success with a really low dose e.g. 0.25mg every other day & no side effects?

Bobbers2011

Reaction score
Let me know how you get on with that then, I'm going to have a dabble with the topicals - just got the spironolactone S5 and gonna use that twice a day with just Nizoral every 3 days, see how it goes.

At least my mind is clear & I'm horny for my girlfriend and the sex feels much more natural now! Don't feel like my muscles are wasting away either - could be all in my head but I feel more agressive & stronger

Shave it off & get down the gym! No more finasteride shite for me! I've had a good run I suppose, maybe after a good few months off I might be ready for another go, if this alternative is no good

nomohair

Reaction score
Wow...I used to take Propecia for bout 3-4 months back in '02 or '03. I stopped because I figured it wasn't worth the risk. But the side effects never went away, I suffered from depression and erectile dysfunction. I went to a psychologist about the depression but I kept "mum" on the ED because I was embarrassed. I never knew till now it had anything to do with this medication. I am lucky coz my girlfriend is still with for the past 7 yrs but my interest in sex is very low. I am 30 yrs old and am trying to figure out if I should get involved in the class action suit. I have never done anything like this, and I don;t know where to begin. I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions or if you could possibly point me in the right direction.