Men's Multi-vitamins

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a good one-a-day multi-vitamin...what's the best one? Or a highly recommended one?

CCS

Reaction score
Maybe this should be in the Health and Fitness section,

But to answer your question, the most important thing is get vitamin E in the d form, not the dl form. Double check that though. The d form is the natural form, and has anti-oxidant properties. The dl form is the other isomer. Both can be synthesized, but the dl form just meets basic needs, whereas the d form is much healthier. Too much dl form can displace the d form out of your body. Also try to get a mix of tocopherols and tocotrienols. Very few multi-vitamins have the good stuff. The ones that do are expensive. Not sure why when I can buy the good vitamin E in bulk, just not in a multi-vitamin.

I think most of the other vitamins only have one form, so you should be good there. Get vitamin D3 in there if you avoid the sun. Vitamin K is great, but not in most multi-vitamins.

As for minerals, I doubt you can fit the RDA in 3 pills, since you need several grams total. You really should get those from your food and just use pills for vitamins.

There is talk about you needed vitamins that were taken from food. I think that is wasteful, and I just chew my vitamins up and take them with food, including some fats to absorb the fat soluble ones.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
CCS said:
But to answer your question, the most important thing is get vitamin E in the d form, not the dl form. Double check that though. The d form is the natural form, and has anti-oxidant properties.

The l isomer also has antioxidant properties. In fact, Pearson & Shaw (of Life Extension fame) say that there is evidence for a synergistic antioxidant effect when you combine the d and l forms of tocopherol.

CCS said:
The dl form is the other isomer. Both can be synthesized, but the dl form just meets basic needs, whereas the d form is much healthier. Too much dl form can displace the d form out of your body.

Interestingly, Pearson & Shaw recommend dl-tocopherol over d-tocopherol.

CCS

Reaction score
http://www.vitacost.com/Healthnotes/Supp/Vitamin-E.aspx

The names of all types of vitamin E begin with either “d†or “dl,†which refer to differences in chemical structure. The “d†form is natural (also known as RRR-alpha tocopherol) and “dl†is synthetic (more correctly known as all-rac-alpha tocopherol). The natural form is more active and better absorbed. Little is known about how the “unnatural†“l†portion of the synthetic “dl†form affects the body, though no clear toxicity has been discovered.
Many doctors advise people to use only the natural, the “d†form, of vitamin E.

I hope they are synergistic, since my centrum has the dl from. I only take one a day or every other day. I supplement with the dl form seperately. But you want a mix of alpha, beta, gamma, and delta. They don't know how much of each, but think the gamma should be the dominant one.