Melatonin

Bismarck

Reaction score
Melatonin could have a beneficial effect on male pattern baldness.

A study made with women suffering from male pattern baldness:

Melatonin increases anagen hair rate in women with androgenetic alopecia or diffuse alopecia: results of a pilot randomized controlled trial.

Fischer TW, Burmeister G, Schmidt HW, Elsner P.

Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Friedrich-Schiller-University, Erfurter Strasse 35, D-07740 Jena, Germany. tobias.fischer@derma.uni-jena.de

BACKGROUND: In addition to the well-known hormonal influences of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone on the hair cycle, melatonin has been reported to have a beneficial effect on hair growth in animals. The effect of melatonin on hair growth in humans has not been investigated so far. OBJECTIVES: To examine whether topically applied melatonin influences anagen and telogen hair rate in women with androgenetic or diffuse hair loss. METHODS: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study was conducted in 40 women suffering from diffuse alopecia or androgenetic alopecia. A 0.1% melatonin or a placebo solution was applied on the scalp once daily for 6 months and trichograms were performed to assess anagen and telogen hair rate. To monitor effects of treatment on physiological melatonin levels, blood samples were taken over the whole study period. RESULTS: Melatonin led to a significantly increased anagen hair rate in occipital hair in women with androgenetic hair loss compared with placebo (n=12; P=0.012). For frontal hair, melatonin gave a significant increase in the group with diffuse alopecia (n=28; P=0.046). The occipital hair samples of patients with diffuse alopecia and the frontal hair counts of those with androgenetic alopecia also showed an increase of anagen hair, but differences were not significant. Plasma melatonin levels increased under treatment with melatonin, but did not exceed the physiological night peak. CONCLUSIONS: To the authors' knowledge, this pilot study is the first to show that topically applied melatonin might influence hair growth in humans in vivo. The mode of action is not known, but the effect might result from an induction of anagen phase.

Publication Types:

* Clinical Trial
* Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 14996107 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

In the follicle article the authors propose a connection between melatonin and estrogen:

mel1jy.jpg

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is this the tablet that gives you a tan?

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No, melantonin is a hormone that is produced naturally by the body. It regulates sleep, among other things. Teenagers produce gobs of it naturally, which is why they can sleep their lives away. As we get older, our bodies produce less and less of it, which is why as you age you have greater difficulty sleeping.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Bismarck said:

LOL! How's this possible? male pattern baldness = MALE Pattern Baldness. Don't you think of FPB (Female Pattern Baldness)?

Bismarck

Reaction score
Buffboy said:
Bismarck said:

LOL! How's this possible? male pattern baldness = MALE Pattern Baldness. Don't you think of FPB (Female Pattern Baldness)?

I think "male pattern baldness" commonly used instead of "alopecia androgenetica". There are also man with hairloss from the Ludwig scale (diffuse thinning) !

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry my mistake it's melanotan(as opposed to Melatonin) that's ment to give people a tan.

Tom

Reaction score
You want to be VERY VERY carefull with Melatonin. It is a brain hormone produced by the Pineal gland. It has been demonstrated to be useful in treating circadian based sleep disorders. The timing of administration is critical. You CANNOT take it like a vitamin.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tom said:
You want to be VERY VERY carefull with Melatonin. It is a brain hormone produced by the Pineal gland. It has been demonstrated to be useful in treating circadian based sleep disorders. The timing of administration is critical. You CANNOT take it like a vitamin.
Once again I have to chime in and give the idea of TOPICAL application a boost. Topical apps lessen systemic impact and get the meds undiluted to the follicle.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...Melatonin can be taken as a natural supplement. One of it's key uses is to help induce sleep. This is interesting but I think that in general, scientific reports on this board may need some re-translating. To be sure, I understand some of what's being said in some of them but my gut is that there's allot of folks that have no idea what the implications of this or that are all about:( IMO.

follijinxed

Established Member
Reaction score
I take 2mg Twin Labs controlled-release capsules almost nightly. Works wonders for when you are tired but can't quite fall asleep. I've been taking it for about 18 months. Can't say as to whether or not it has slowed down my hair loss or not.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
follijinxed said:
I take 2mg Twin Labs controlled-release capsules almost nightly. Works wonders for when you are tired but can't quite fall asleep. I've been taking it for about 18 months. Can't say as to whether or not it has slowed down my hair loss or not.

I take 2.5mg (some time 5mg) 3 or four times a week, meletonin is also a very good anti-oxidant and is one of the few anti-oxidants that can cross the blood brain barrier (the only other one I can remember is Alpha-Lipoic-Acid) and help protect your brain from free radical damage.

Mine are passion fruit flavour !!! :)

follijinxed

Established Member
Reaction score
I like the controlled release because it slowly makes you more tired and you can actually sleep. Not a shot of melatonin like some of the other ones that will just put you to sleep right away and have you wake up in a few hours.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ty, you are a Brit if I am not mistaken. Where dyou get your melatonin from? Quite asides from its tendencies? to help male pattern baldness, I am sometimes a mad insomniac and I think the stuff could potentially help me in this respect too.

P.S. For those who are confused:
Melatonin=stuff being talked about.
Melanin=stuff that tans you.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
iamnaked said:
Ty, you are a Brit if I am not mistaken. Where dyou get your melatonin from? Quite asides from its tendencies? to help male pattern baldness, I am sometimes a mad insomniac and I think the stuff could potentially help me in this respect too.

P.S. For those who are confused:
Melatonin=stuff being talked about.
Melanin=stuff that tans you.

I am not 100% of the Legal status in the UK, I remember a few years back you could get it in a decent health food store or two, and I believe it can still be sold in the UK if it is part of a formula (Vit E + Meletonin is one I have seen for sale).

Now my girlfriends best friend who lives in Singapore brings back a load for me when she visits the UK, this usually lasts a year or so.

Like many drugs / vitmains / either not available in the UK you can legally import them if it is for your personal use.

You can buy meletonin from http://www.lef.org and http://www.qhi.co.uk I am sure there are numerous other suppliers, but these two I trust, meletonin is not expensive either.

Time release is good if you have problems getting to sleep but more expensive, normal formulas are good if you have sleep onset problems (getting to sleep). http://www.lef.org is a good source of information on meletonin.

Don't forget to cycle!!

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
TynanW said:
Time release is good if you have problems getting to sleep but more expensive, normal formulas are good if you have sleep onset problems (getting to sleep). http://www.lef.org is a good source of information on meletonin.

Don't forget to cycle!!

whoops!!!!

that should read:

Time release is good if you have problems Staying asleep but more expensive, normal formulas are good if you have sleep onset problems (getting to sleep)

1derphull

Established Member
Reaction score
follijinxed said:
I like the controlled release because it slowly makes you more tired and you can actually sleep. Not a shot of melatonin like some of the other ones that will just put you to sleep right away and have you wake up in a few hours.

that sucks, it happens to me with my current bottle. next time ill buy the time release stuff.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm 27 and without an alarm clock I can't get out of bed before I've had 12-14 hours a sleep.

I guess I have an over-supply of this melatonin stuff.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
May I interject, in case anybody is confused, that the stuff produced in bodies that gives people a natural tan is called melanin, I believe.