Medical hypothesis: Androgenetic Alopecia indicative of potential cancer

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Investigation of Follicular Penetration of Topically Applied Substances

PDF file:
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pr ... elNr=56385

This is quite interesting. Follicles can be characterized as either active or inactive. The penetration process depends on the phase of the hair growth cycle.
Active = Hair growth or sebum production can be measured
Inactive = No hair growth or sebum production can be measured

The active state determines follicular penetration.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
bornthisway said:
Do we know which growth inhibitory factors are secreted by balding dermal papilla, bmp signal inhibition?

Only one insert,

Probably dermal papilla secrets both inhibitory and trigger factors, only will depend with the phase in hair follicle cycling.

Any inputs?

Armando

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
bornthisway said:
Investigation of Follicular Penetration of Topically Applied Substances

PDF file:
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pr ... elNr=56385

This is quite interesting. Follicles can be characterized as either active or inactive. The penetration process depends on the phase of the hair growth cycle.
Active = Hair growth or sebum production can be measured
Inactive = No hair growth or sebum production can be measured

The active state determines follicular penetration.

Bornthisway, yo seem a clever guy...

Thank you for the assert about active or inactive follicles. I saw it in a poster in IMHRS in Berlin and intantly took my attention. I think in a inward sebum flow from sebaceous gland to dermal papilla, most of scientist don't negate it althoug there is not dates in bibliography.

The most bizarre thing is that ANYONE ask me what happen with the inestable sebum ridin to the inner part of pilosebaceous unit. I am waiting...

My idea, simple, is that sebum form part phisically with hair fibre. If it could be demostrated it, it could be very usseful in the studies abot hair growth. This study goes in my though line.

OTOH, the inflammation ocurs near the surface of scalp skin, no in the dermal papila, Why? because sebum don't gets rancid, it is absorved in the dermal papila.

Finally, there is studies regarding the neccesity in destroying sebaceous gland in order to keep a god epilation process.

Have a nice day

Armando

michael barry

Reaction score
Armando,

Correct me if Im wrong, as I dont read a great deal about sebaceous gland................but doesn't the sebaceous gland keep on making sebum when the hair is in telogen or catagen?

BTW---Armando, I have posted a green tea-ECGC-experiment in which Liao/Liang used on a human forehead with a very very large reduction in sebun output (it almost cut it in half). If you think Sebum is a causitive factor in hairloss...........Green tea extract TOPICALLY should be of great benefit as well as cedarwood oil.

2. Catechin Inhibition of Human Forehead Sebum Production

Twenty mg of (-)epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) in 0.2 ml 70% ethanol was applied to the left forehead twice a day for 6 days (FIG. 25). The L/R ratio decrease from 1.20±0.02 to 0.71±0.04 during this period. After the EGCG treatment was stopped, the L/R ratio gradually recovered to 1.19±0.02 within 16 days. Subsequent treatment of the left forehead with 20 mg (-)epicatechin in 0.2 ml 70% ethanol twice a day for 6 days reduced the L/R ratio to 1.02±0.1. After the application was stopped, the L/R ratio gradually increased to the normal value of 1.21±0.01 in 10 days. Clearly EGCG was more effective in reducing the sebum production from forehead than (-)epicatechin

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Armando,

Correct me if Im wrong, as I dont read a great deal about sebaceous gland................but doesn't the sebaceous gland keep on making sebum when the hair is in telogen or catagen?

BTW---Armando, I have posted a green tea-ECGC-experiment in which Liao/Liang used on a human forehead with a very very large reduction in sebun output (it almost cut it in half). If you think Sebum is a causitive factor in hairloss...........Green tea extract TOPICALLY should be of great benefit as well as cedarwood oil.

2. Catechin Inhibition of Human Forehead Sebum Production

Twenty mg of (-)epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) in 0.2 ml 70% ethanol was applied to the left forehead twice a day for 6 days (FIG. 25). The L/R ratio decrease from 1.20±0.02 to 0.71±0.04 during this period. After the EGCG treatment was stopped, the L/R ratio gradually recovered to 1.19±0.02 within 16 days. Subsequent treatment of the left forehead with 20 mg (-)epicatechin in 0.2 ml 70% ethanol twice a day for 6 days reduced the L/R ratio to 1.02±0.1. After the application was stopped, the L/R ratio gradually increased to the normal value of 1.21±0.01 in 10 days. Clearly EGCG was more effective in reducing the sebum production from forehead than (-)epicatechin

Thank you Michael for the input, several years ago I developed a bet for hair loss, Oropelum, and it contains grape seed extract and essentials oils similar to cerdarwood oil, among others interestings principles .

Sebum production don't stop in catagen/telogen hair cycle phase, but probably mesenchymal-epithelial interactions contribute to stop inward sebum flow.

Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions between hair follicle stem cells and dermal papilla cells: A genechip analysis
Cecilia Roh, Houston, USA
http://www.ehrs.org/conference/2004berlin/saturday.htm

BTW, inward sebum flow is a no return way, Are you agree?

Armando

michael barry

Reaction score
BTW, inward sebum flow is a no return way, Are you agree?

If sebum went "downwards", I dont suppose their would be a way to get it out........................but the inflammation is at the indidulum, right at the surface where the hair exits the body onto the skin. That is why I lean toward Doctor's contention that hyperkeratinization is happening and cellular death in the keratinocyte cells is leaving dead K cells still "in" the body long enough to get the immune system's attention.

michael barry

Reaction score
Armando,

would you agree with this:

[0001] The ability of the mammalian immune system to recognize "self" versus "non-self" antigens is vital to successful host defense against invading microorganisms. "Self" antigens are those which are not detectably different from an animal's own constituents, whereas "non-self" antigens are those which are detectably different from or foreign to the mammal's constituents. A normal mammalian immune system functions to recognize "non-self antigens" and attack and destroy them. An autoimmune disorder such as for example, rheumatoid arthritis, insulin-independent diabetes mellitus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), multiple sclerosis, and the like, results when the immune system identifies "self" antigens as "non-self", thereby initiating an immune response against the mammal's own body components (i.e., organs and/or tissues). This creates damage to the mammal's organs and/or tissues and can result in serious illness or death.

[0002] Predisposition of a mammal to an autoimmune disease is largely genetic; however, exogenous factors such as viruses, bacteria, or chemical agents may also play a role. Autoimmunity can also surface in tissues that are not normally exposed to lymphocytes such as for example, neural tissue. When a tissue not normally exposed to lymphocytes becomes exposed to these cells, the lymphocytes may recognize the surface antigens of these tissues as "non-self" and an immune response may ensue. Autoimmunity may also develop as a result of the introduction into the animal of antigens which are sensitive to the host's self antigens. An antigen which is similar to or cross-reactive with an antigen in an mammal's own tissue may cause lymphocytes to recognize and destroy both "self" and "non-self" antigens.

[0003] It has been suggested that the pathogenesis of autoimmune diseases is associated with a disruption in synthesis of interferons and other cytokines often induced by interferons (Skurkovich et al., Nature 217:551-552, 1974; Skurkovich et al., Annals of Allergy, 35:356, 1975; Skurkovich et al., J. Interferon Res. 12, Suppl. 1:S110, 1992; Skurkovich et al., Med. Hypoth., 41:177-185, 1993; Skurkovich et al., Med. Hypoth., 42:27-35, 1994; Gringeri et al., Cell. Mol. Biol. 41(3):381-387, 1995; Gringeri et al., J. Acquir. Immun. Defic. Syndr., 13:55-67, 1996). Cytokines are substances produced in different cell territories, including immune and nerve cells, which communicate with and affect the action of cells. In particular, interferon (IFN) gamma plays a significant pathogenic role in autoimmune dysfunction. gamma interferon stimulates cells to produce elevated levels of HLA class II antigens (Feldman et al., 1987, "Interferons and Autoimmunity", In: IFN .gamma., p. 75, Academic Press). It is known that gamma interferon participates in the production of tumor necrosis factor (TNF), and it is also known that TNF also plays a role in stimulation of production of autoantibodies. In view of this, therapies to modulate these cytokines have been developed. Clinical success in treating several autoimmune diseases using antibodies to gamma interferon has been reported (Skurkovich et al., U.S. Pat. No. 5,888,511).

[0004] However, while an autoimmune response is considered to be typical in diseases such as multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis, one area of medicine where treatment of autoimmune or hyperimmune responses has not been fully explored is the area of skin diseases, particularly inflammatory skin diseases or skin diseases with an autoimmune component. Inflammation and autoimmune responses arising from antigens and the reaction of the skin to antigens is typical in skin diseases. Inflammation is the organism's normal reaction to invading foreign antigens.

[0005] Inflammation and autoimmune reactions in the skin are of considerable concern. Skin diseases including psoriasis, dermatitis, allergic conditions such as eczema, skin hypersensitivity reactions (including poison ivy and poison oak), decubitus ulcers, pressure ulcers, diabetic ulcers, epidermolysis bullosa, and milia psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, eczematoid dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, lichen planus, pemphigus, bullous pemphigoid, epidermolysis bullosa, urticaria, angioedema, vasculitides, erythema, dermal eosinophilia, acne, vitiligo and alopecia areata may also be the result of an inflammatory or autoimmune reaction in the skin.

[0006] Of these and other skin diseases, the most prevalent is acne. Acne, specifically acne vulgaris is a skin disease that is estimated to affect 85-100% of the population at one time in their life. Acne vulgaris is characterized by non-inflammatory follicular papules or comedones and by inflammatory papules, pustules and nodules. Areas of the skin with the most dense concentration of sebaceous follicles, usually the face, the upper chest and the back, are most commonly prone to acne vulgaris. Acne vulgaris is more common in men than in women during adolescence, but is more common in women during adulthood. Acne vulgaris may also occur in newborns, but often resolves when androgen levels begin to rise.

[0007] At least four factors are important in the development of acne lesions; follicular epidermal hyperproliferation and hyperkeratinization, excess sebum, Propionibacterium acnes, and inflammation. Follicular epidermal hyperproliferation and hyperkeratinization may be stimulated by increased levels of androgens and the alteration in the sebum and lipid levels in acne lesions. In addition, the presence of interleukin-1-alpha (IL-1.alpha.) may lead to hyperkeratinization and hyperproliferation of the infudibulum (Zouboulis, 2001, Dermatology 203: 277-279).

[0008] Excess sebum is strongly correlated with the degree and severity of acne lesions. Androgens stimulate sebum production and estrogens inhibit sebum production, and therefore an excess level of androgens or a hyperresponse to androgens may lead to acne lesion formation.

[0009] Propionibacterium acnes is a microaerophilic bacteria present in many acne lesions, but may not be present in the nascent acne lesion. It is widely accepted that the inflammation in acne is due to the immunological reaction to the extracellular products of P. acnes, such as free fatty acids (Zouboulis, 2001, Dermatology 203: 277-279). P. acnes may also bind to the toll-like receptors on monocytes, initiating the production of cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor, IL-12 and IL-8.

Perhaps lessening sebum secretion could be beneficial for androgenic alopecia if excessive sebum is playing a part in inducing an immuno respone at the infidulum.
Armando, I know you think this is due to cutting the hair and not wearing it long.......................but if this little hypothesis of sebum playing a role was "right" and it is an aggravating factor in human beings...................a topical that lessens sebum production, a daily washing of the hair to remove sebum, and perhaps a few minutes of the scalp excercises before one washes the hair to get as much of it as possible to the top of the dermis so it can be removed by washing would probably be a better method of helping than just growing one's hair really long. I have medium length hair (3 inches, maybe a bit more), kinda "Beatlesque" in length. I have no desire to wear hair to my shoulders at my age now.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Perhaps lessening sebum secretion could be beneficial for androgenic alopecia if excessive sebum is playing a part in inducing an immuno respone at the infidulum.
Armando, I know you think this is due to cutting the hair and not wearing it long.......................but if this little hypothesis of sebum playing a role was "right" and it is an aggravating factor in human beings...................a topical that lessens sebum production, a daily washing of the hair to remove sebum, and perhaps a few minutes of the scalp excercises before one washes the hair to get as much of it as possible to the top of the dermis so it can be removed by washing would probably be a better method of helping than just growing one's hair really long. I have medium length hair (3 inches, maybe a bit more), kinda "Beatlesque" in length. I have no desire to wear hair to my shoulders at my age now.

Thank you for your formative post Michael.

Zouboulis is a great investigator in this issue.

Respect at hair lenght it is sufficient wear it more than 15 centimetres, as Beatles look, not neccesary lenght shoulder.

BTW, "Acne, specifically acne vulgaris is a skin disease that is estimated to affect 85-100% of the population at one time in their life"
This a probe that common baldness is not genetic, 100% of incidence.

Armando