MB, Does freestyle spring back or flop over?

CCS

Reaction score
MB,

I like it when I push my hand through my hair and my hairs spring back as my hand passes over. Would freestyle do that?
Do you think I can change the angle of my forward vented hair by 45 degrees? If so I might get this to work. Otherwise I'll order all spiky, and be very specific, with pictures, of how I want the spikes.

Thanks for your help.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Most any style should spring back in place after running your hands through it. The one you have should spring back at least somewhat. It should be able to change direction by 45 degrees no problem.
The thing is, in order to do this, it`ll need to be attached to your scalp. Its near impossible to style one of these units with it out in mid air and off your head, it needs to be attached to something.

Freestyle is sort of a middle grounds as far as the hairs direction, so that style allows the hairs to be styled in almost any style.
I have some that are flatback, with the hairs desigend to want to lay slicked back from the hairline. I can get them to stand straight up real easy just by getting it wet and styling it forwards repeatedly until it stands up.
Getting it to go from back to forwards takes more work, and it will eventually do it, but then it looks like a cats tail with the hair going the wrong way; unatural.
So when you order, try and order something close to the direction you`d like. It looks like yours is vented forwards, is that correct?

CCS

Reaction score
The hairs were pointed straight forward, unnaturally flat. From the wave, it actually looks more natural as a flat back unfortunately. Hairs in forward vented pieces are supposed to first come up out of the scalp and then go forwards, if there is a wave. These hairs first go forwards, and then up, so it looks like a raccoon tail if vented forwards, but looks more natural if vented backwards. This is why I want to just straighten the hairs and hope no one notices that my piece is straight and the rest of my hairs have a 3 cm wave.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
In your pics it looks like the hairpiece is a flatback that you`re trying to style more forwards, which wont look good because the direction you`re wanting to achieve is way too different than the way its made to be.

CCS

Reaction score
MichiganBaldy said:
In your pics it looks like the hairpiece is a flatback that you`re trying to style more forwards, which wont look good because the direction you`re wanting to achieve is way too different than the way its made to be.

I ordered forward vent.

Seems to be working for me though. I tinkered with it, and it looks better than my grafts.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool.
After a small learning curve, you`ll be as good as you can get, then you`ll know if this for you or not.
There`ll always be that hype out there over a new glue or tape, dont fall for it like I did.
Once you find one that wirks for you, *stick* to it.
Theres also the hope of getting a "better base/style/haircut next time" you`ll know what I mean by that after a while.
The bottom line is, the bases are about as good as they are going to get, and the best way to get a hairpiece with the correct specifications is to first have one thats exactly the way you want, then send it in to be copied.
The only improvements that are needed at this point is the tackiness at the front. The glue driers do work but only for a day or two in hot weather, so the thing to do is get the hair and scalp soaking wet every day then apply a new seal.
This will keep your scalp clean plus it reactivates the bond, once the hair and base dries.
The only other way I can think to fix the tacky front is to have a skin front, which wont allow any tackiness. The problem is, hair makers are still currently a bit in consistent with the quality of skin fronts. Sometimes they are really good, and sometimes the same place will send one thats not good.
Once they get the bugs ironed out, I`ll be using skin fronts with all lace bases.

CCS

Reaction score
Is it true the skin bases shed faster than swiss bases? What about detectability at the transition? And what about feel right at the hairline, compared to swiss with sealed glue?