Maximising Finasteride Effectiveness.!?

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering.. Maybe it's more effective to take 0.5mg og finasteride in the morning, and 0.5mg at night, as opposed to 1mg per day? My reasoning behind this is the 6 hour half life that some people here are talking about.. Does this sound good, or am I off the mark? Perhaps any potential gains would be totally minimal and unnoticable?

G

The answer is no. The Type I 5AR's half-life is 14 days an Type II 5AR's half-life is 30 days.

G

If you want to, you can take 0.5mg one time per day even and it will be just about as effective as 1mg. The studies have shown that 0.25mg is about 90% as effective as 1mg. Though if you're not short on funds and aren't experiencing any sides there's no reason to do the reduction. No harm in being frugal though :)

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
The answer is no. The Type I 5AR's half-life is 14 days an Type II 5AR's half-life is 30 days.

well if that is the case, why can't we take 1mg twice a month, or at most a couple times per week???

i know that most people who have taken finasteride daily for more than a couple of years who have cut back to every other day saw hair loss

so..........how does this explain a 14 day half-life?

G

blakes30 said:
FairTaxNow said:

well if that is the case, why can't we take 1mg twice a month, or at most a couple times per week???

i know that most people who have taken finasteride daily for more than a couple of years who have cut back to every other day saw hair loss

It's not a question of "IF THAT'S THE CASE". Read the pharmacology data, this is what it states.

You're starting to get into a highly exaggerated apples to oranges comparison by going from EOD to a couple times per month. EOD has worked fine for many people in these forums as well, and there's a number of derms and doctors who will prescribe this at EOD. I'm guessing there's probably a point where spreading out the dosages any further considerably reduces its effect. That is probably after the 48 hour period. If you want to be a guinea pig by our guest and take it twice a week or twice per month.

finasteride also has a 6-hour half life so there will still be 1/(2^8) left in your system at this point if you take it EOD. Plus the fact that it takes the 5AR that long to re-generate.

Do some research here and give us some more information on this.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
blakes30 said:
FairTaxNow said:

It's not a question of "IF THAT'S THE CASE". Read the pharmacology data, this is what it states.

You're starting to get into a highly exaggerated apples to oranges comparison by going from EOD to a couple times per month. EOD has worked fine for many people in these forums as well, and there's a number of derms and doctors who will prescribe this at EOD. I'm guessing there's probably a point where spreading out the dosages any further considerably reduces its effect. That is probably after the 48 hour period. If you want to be a guinea pig by our guest and take it twice a week or twice per month.

finasteride also has a 6-hour half life so there will still be 1/(2^8) left in your system at this point if you take it EOD. Plus the fact that it takes the 5AR that long to re-generate.

Do some research here and give us some more information on this.

i'm not saying that statement is wrong about the half life of the 5AR is wrong
i am simply saying that many people who cut back to EOD lost hair, so i'm not sure if it is that simple that you can take it EOD

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride only blocks so much ... you decrease the dose.. you decrease the effectiveness.

Some people require a more/less then others.

I myself noticed an immediate halt to my hairloss upon starting dutasteride. Plus with the regrowth i'm getting my need might not be as high as someone else as far as DHT blockage.

Thats why some people can take it EOD and be fine.. some have to take it daily to maintain.

G

SkylineGTR said:
finasteride only blocks so much ... you decrease the dose.. you decrease the effectiveness.

What are you basing this on? Sure you decrease the dosage by 75% and you decrease the effectiveness by about 10%. If you're suggesting it's a 1:1 linear relationship that's certainly not the case as evidenced by the data.

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that by taking finasteride on an empty stomach you are maximizing it's effectiveness. Take it after a large meal and I don't care what people say but that 1mg will not get absorbed as good as with just water.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Lorenzo_91 said:
I think that by taking finasteride on an empty stomach you are maximizing it's effectiveness. Take it after a large meal and I don't care what people say but that 1mg will not get absorbed as good as with just water.

o rly?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Lorenzo_91 said:

o rly?