markelbentley's story

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
So i began noticing my hairline was changing when i was 17 (2001). I had super thick, great quality hair. I was the only one to notice this change. I began to freak out and i told my parents and sisters and they couldnt tell at all and told me to quit worrying. I began to research on the net anything I could find. I used to go to regrowth.com alot. I read about propecia and minoxidil and all the rest. I saw my general physician and he said that once i turned 18 he would write me a script for rogaine (even though you didnt need one). so i continued on this way my hair was prob a norwood 1-1.5. My hairline wasnt a straight line anymore just changing slowly at the temples i guess. So i started rogaine when i was 18. I applied only to my hairline as nothing else was thinning or balding. at that time i was hoping that all the hair i lost would grow back and i would have a straight hairline again! my hair by the way was very greasy always and i had a lot of dandruff. so i contninued to use the rogaine off and on, mostly just at night. i didnt notice anything getting better or much worse for that matter. i started college with the baldness thing being on my mind. i live in the dorms and had to tell my roomy about the minoxidil, it was kinda embarassing. even he said that he couldnt tell anything. I kept on the minoxidil off and on until my sophmore year. I got tired of applying and i figured it wasnt doing anything positive. so i quit it. In about march of sophmore year i started noticing that i could style my hair like before so i began freaking out again and i called my Doctor and he reluctantly prescribed me propecia. Propecia at the 2 month mark causedd a shed. and i have been shedding i guess ever since. i tried xandrox 15, zix, ozbrew. The last two-3 months i have been losing so much damn hair. Before starting propecia i had no crown loss. now i am thinning in a norwood five pattern. my temples are thin, the top is thin...16 months on propecia and i am way worse that baseline. When i started all this sh*t 4 years ago, my hair was great. now if i could get back t baseline propecia i would be happy. i havent been taking my finasteride for two weeks in hopes of slowing shed. waht should i do?

Britannia

Reaction score
Your Doctor made the wrong choice when he prescribed you Rogaine. What you needed was Propecia, and Nizoral shampoo. This would have stopped (well 83% chance it would have) your receeding hairline. Rogaine is a regrowth agent, so might have regrown hair in areas youve lost BUT WOULDNT STOP YOU LOSING MORE HAIR.
Please dont stop taking your finasteride (Propecia) because your going through a shed! This is the worse thing you can do. You need to stick to the recommended dosage and just ride through any sheds you get. They are a sign you have responded to treatment and are fairly common. I had a bad shed about 3 weeks in which freaked me out totally, but stopping treatment will make matters much MUCH worse.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: What to do Now? My story

markelbentley said:
So i began noticing my hairline was changing when i was 17 (2001). I had super thick, great quality hair. I was the only one to notice this change. I began to freak out and i told my parents and sisters and they couldnt tell at all and told me to quit worrying. I began to research on the net anything I could find. I used to go to regrowth.com alot. I read about propecia and minoxidil and all the rest. I saw my general physician and he said that once i turned 18 he would write me a script for rogaine (even though you didnt need one). so i continued on this way my hair was prob a norwood 1-1.5. My hairline wasnt a straight line anymore just changing slowly at the temples i guess. So i started rogaine when i was 18. I applied only to my hairline as nothing else was thinning or balding. at that time i was hoping that all the hair i lost would grow back and i would have a straight hairline again! my hair by the way was very greasy always and i had a lot of dandruff. so i contninued to use the rogaine off and on, mostly just at night. i didnt notice anything getting better or much worse for that matter. i started college with the baldness thing being on my mind. i live in the dorms and had to tell my roomy about the minoxidil, it was kinda embarassing. even he said that he couldnt tell anything. I kept on the minoxidil off and on until my sophmore year. I got tired of applying and i figured it wasnt doing anything positive. so i quit it. In about march of sophmore year i started noticing that i could style my hair like before so i began freaking out again and i called my Doctor and he reluctantly prescribed me propecia. Propecia at the 2 month mark causedd a shed. and i have been shedding i guess ever since. i tried xandrox 15, zix, ozbrew. The last two-3 months i have been losing so much damn hair. Before starting propecia i had no crown loss. now i am thinning in a norwood five pattern. my temples are thin, the top is thin...16 months on propecia and i am way worse that baseline. When i started all this $#iT 4 years ago, my hair was great. now if i could get back t baseline propecia i would be happy. i havent been taking my finasteride for two weeks in hopes of slowing shed. waht should i do?

well, be lucky that you even HAD a straight across hairline at one time! I have ALWAYS had receded temples kinda like Christian Slater, for as long as I can remember. Ive been AT BEST a Norwood 2 when I was a kid.