Maneless Lions of Tsavo, Kenya

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
"What surprised Patterson and Kays was that these man-eaters were adults, between eight and ten years old; most males develop manes by age five. Earlier studies in the Serengeti had suggested that maneless lions were "losers" or "humiliated" members of the pride. "Lacking a mane was something like a badge of dishonor," said Patterson"

"Curious about the social consequences of lacking a mane, Patterson and Kay traveled to Tsavo East National Park in Kenya to investigate the plight of maneless lions."

"None of the Tsavo prides had more than one male, which makes them very distinctive," said Patterson.

But the social scene gets even stranger.

It seems that there are far more nomadic males in Tsavo than have been observed in other places.

"Coalitions of three or four males live and hunt together—this is an alternative social structure that we have never seen," said Patterson. What surprised the scientists was that these coalitions were not able to displace the "pridemaster" and take over a pride.

Manelessness might also be due to hormone levels, Kays said. High testosterone levels inhibit hair growth in human males and leads to male pattern baldness. Similarly, Tsavo male lions may be genetically predisposed to high levels of testosterone. The high hormone levels may also explain the heightened aggressive tendencies seen in these lions.

But the findings in Tsavo indicate that the maneless males are certainly not starved for female attention and actually command larger prides than maned lions.

It seems that "the Tsavo lions have a lot of tricks up their sleeve that will only become obvious as we study their behavior and ecology," Patterson added.

The results of the study were published online on April 11, 2002, in the Canadian Journal of Zoology.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Those maneless lions maybe stay in such a high confidence position becouse there are no mirrors in the sabana.

GeminiX

Reaction score
So... if balding men who have a complex about it want to become more confident they should run around ripping out the throats of a few Thompson Gazelle to feel better and get the ladies?

Cool!

D

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Or perhaps the next time I see David Schwimmer, I should let out a blood curdling roar, and leap at his throat. Hello ladies.

G

To furthur the study, give a maneless lion some Finasteride to see if he can recover his mane and what effect this new grown mane has compared to the male lions previous LMB (Lion Mane Baldness). Ahhhhhhhhh just fuckin around!

Cool study! If these effects had any comparison to the human species and male pattern baldness, than this would prove the grandness of nature. All of us male pattern baldness sufferers are at the bottom of the barrel, which is a good thing.

Even us balding guys are apart of the grand scheme of things.

Maybe we should do as the lions and start a colony of bald guys! Also kidding.

VWdude

Reaction score
This thread is something out of the ordinary.

G

Vwdude is in the ordinary.

As for the seriousness of the colony of bald guys emulating the Lions of the serengetti....

I still have most of my mane and with my current regimen, I am starting to gain ground. I plan to get my mane back within this next year! Although in about 4 years or so when the drugs start wearing off and my balding head catches up with me, I'll stop taking hair loss drugs and start some kind of colony. I am even going to take some classes on how to survive in the wild. I plan to live off the land soon, just like the maneless lions of the Serengetti!

As for now, I'm not afraid of taking hair loss drugs because my body/ brain that I am harming with dutasteride, Min, Tricomin, and nizoral is just as imperminent as the hair on my head and the lives we die and live.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gilgamesh, I'm a lion lover! When I saw your post you grabbed my attention from the get go! I really appreciated you sharing this as it gives all of us some very positive stuff to chew on:) I wouldn't say that I'm a maneless lion, well, not yet:) Anyway, but I do get the inference by your post! Thanks again as that made my day and Memorial Day:)