Magic333's Story - (5 years after the beggining...)

magic333

Reaction score
When I was 17 I began losing my hair. prior to this my hair was pretty ridiculously thick. The first thing i noticed were a few hairs falling down onto my books when i would run my fingers through my hair. What began as a hair or two falling out, turned into 3 or 4 every pass through my hair if not more. When i took a shower i would sometimes count over 30-40 hairs sliding down into the depths of the drain. At some point my mom mentioned it as I was beginning to realize what was going on. It made me feel angry that this was happening to me so young, although another kid in my grade had fallen victim far earlier and had it far worse than me. My father suggested that i begin taking Propecia and I began to take the 1mg tabs every night for at least 3 years. at first the hair was falling out at the full rate for a while, but the Propecia began to work and things slowed down. Even still, there were mornings where my hair would be messy and instead of showing off some crazy bad hair dew, id wake up with my vertices exposed. MUCH worse.

This brings me to the reason why I am writing this here today. After these 3 or 4 years of taking propecia regularly(age 17-21), I still would say that I had an appealing enough head of hair. I am now 22 and approximately a year and a half ago i started to fall behind on my propecia popping routine. Some weeks i would take only 2 or 3 1mg pills. In the last 6-8 months I have stopped taking propecia entirely. Surprisingly, through all this time, my hair loss did not revert back to how it was, but instead seemed to start growing back. I can run my hands through my hair and be unlucky if one comes out now and no longer do they fall out in droves in the shower. My hair still has that "im losing my hair texture" and it is by no means nearly as thick as it was, but i would say that it looks better than it did 2 or 3 years ago even.

I am wondering how unusual this sounds to you guys. I know that hair loss is a cyclic thing, however, I am wondering if I may have significantly accelerated my hair loss at some point due to some other characteristic of my lifestyle and how crazy that might sound. I would say that when my hair loss was at its worst, it also coincided with the highest stress levels of my life. In addition, although i am somehow only 160-170 pounds, I would describe my diet as being about a 8/10 with 10 being the poorest. I suspect my vitamin intake is well below average....(Anyone have some vitamins to recommend or something?) I'd really appreciate anyone's insight into this.

thanks,
-Michael