squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Good post as usual!! :punk:

sapinho

Reaction score
They're suggesting

minocycline and topical steroids

So, more-or-less a common antibiotic for acne and Hydrocortisone (or similar)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past there seemed to be a preference for non-steroidal anti-inflammatories? But now this, plus Enden's recent post suggesting Hydrocortisone. Anyone know if it's OK to use these over prolonged periods?

I'm reminded of a cream I bought for my girlfriend a while back who had pain in her armpit, it had 2% Ketoconazole plus a Cortisol compound: Betamethasone. Cheap stuff too, I was tempted to give it a try but figured using these substances on a daily basis might be toxic.

If using minocycline scares anyone perhaps Azelaic Acid cream (relatively expensive, but kills bacteria) might be a good substitute as I remember reading it can be used longterm. Over on immortalhair, CS posted this same study and suggested using Ecklonia Cava, perhaps someone can comment as to why(?).

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the study....

I think that common baldness is similar in women and men, the investigation you cited seems says the same.

Off the topic:

Did you read my post about a Kligman`s paper regarding the existence of sebum hair in childrens?

Quotes:
"The comparative fungistatic activity of pooled hair fat from pre-pubertal and
post-pubertal hair""

"In no instance was post-pubertal sebum more fungistatic
than pre-pubertal hair fat"

"He drew no conclusion from this except to remark that ether-extracted pre-pubertal hair was a good medium for the growth of various fungi"

"it seemed evident that the sebum present on freshly epilated hairs, whether adult or pre-pubertal in origin, did not prevent the physical growth of the
fungus upon them."

"Pre-pubertal sebum is fungistatic for M. audouini, according to Rothman's figures, even when diluted 20 to 40 times."

"Since even pre-pubertal sebum is fungistatic it is remarkable that infection
occurs at all unless there are great individual differences in the fungistatic
power of sebum."

"we have been unable to show that its fungistatic potency is decisively greater than that of pre-pubertal sebum."

"SUMMARY
When the minimal fungistatic concentration of pre- and post-pubertal sebum
was determined against three strains of M. audouini and two strains of M. canis, it was not demonstrated that post-pubertal sebum possessed decisively superior fungistatic activity.
The inhibition curves of sebum extracted from the hair of individuals in various
age groups was determined. Adult sebum was not more fungistatic than children's hair fat by this method."
http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v14/n ... 95043a.pdf

If this is real as ever I thought, we must be revising the androgenetic theory because androgens are present in scalp hairs years before puberty. The link is sebaceous gland: 100% androgen dependent.

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
around 4 years ago i noticed lumps under my armpits.
these lumps where inflamed ... sorry if i have got the wrong end of the stick
but are you saying this could be related to the hairloss???

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
mashang said:
around 4 years ago i noticed lumps under my armpits.
these lumps where inflamed ... sorry if i have got the wrong end of the stick
but are you saying this could be related to the hairloss???

Those lumps are lymph nodes, the swell up during infection or when your body is trying to fight off other diseases.

casken

Reaction score
Would my inflamed, itch, greasy, constantly shedding scalp be connected to the swollen lymph node that regularly grows and shrinks that I have in my neck?

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"Treatment options to arrest hair loss progression and stimulate partial hair regrowth for FPHL include the androgen receptor antagonists spironolactone and cyproterone acetate, the 5?-reductase inhibitor finasteride and the androgen-independent hair growth stimulator minoxidil. These treatments appear to work best when initiated early."

I don't think they've said anything else we didnt already know.

Now doesn't cyproterone cause liver damage?

I myself am considering finasteride or dutasteride low does. Any recommendations?