Lower Dosage of Propecia for Receding Hairline only reduces side effect maybe?

akp22191

Reaction score
Hey, this isn't a scientific research or anything. Just something that I have thought about. I got propecia as I think my hairline is receding (it's very hard to tell if it's just maturing or receding). I personally think it's receding so I made the decision to get on propecia. Doctor prescribed only 30 pills for a month to test it out on how my body reacts; Doctor seems like a nice genuine person as this is a good option for 1st time propecia users. I took it the first day 1mg and noticed low libido and watery semen. 2nd day 1m & same side effect. Same side effect for the 3rd & 4th day. Now I'm not going to take anymore. I believe that since I only have a receding hairline & not thinning in the vertex/mid interior, my DHT levels before going on propecia were not that high to began with. Maybe high enough to cause recession but not high enough to have all out diffuse hair loss. Now the interesting thing is Merk did trials on guys who were loosing hair in the vertex, mid-interior, and front. Basically the who head. 1mg of propecia when these men took it game only 2% of people side effects. I believe that since the DHT was attacking their hair follicles everyone on the scalp the 1mg was just the right dosage for these people without having any side effects. I want to know anybodies opinions on this. Could I have noticed the side effects very early since the DHT was only attacking my hairline, which means enough DHT in the prostate to effect the hairline, but not huge enough to attack the rest of the hair. Could it be that my DHT levels are still moderate, but still enough to cause a receding hairline? Here are my options on how I'm going to continue my treatment; please let me know which could be the best decision.

1.) stay on 1mg and ride it out for a month & then decide if I should continue it or not?
2.) stay on Rogaine only 5% for hairline, and not take propecia until I start seeing thinning on the rest of the head?
3.) Cut Propecia into half 0.5mg and take it every day or every other day?
4.) Take propecia 1mg or 0.5mg which ever works to reduce side effects three times a week: Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule? (I actually read this somewhere on the forum as someone stated that propecia stays in your body for actually 72 hours, even with a half life of 4 hours.
5.) And finally that 1mg or 0.5mg once a week only, maybe every Mondays?

Could you please let me know what ya think? Fire away lol

Sparky4444

Reaction score
nope...I lowered my dose thinking I would lower the sides and it doesn't work as effectively...

akp22191

Reaction score
Hey just thought I'd share something. Now I haven't taken another pill for two days. The last time I took it was the 4th pill cut in half 0.5mg on Tuesday. This morning I felt the morning wood like I used to before, and later when I came back from class around 8pm I wacked off to test the sides. Surprisingly this time I was able to get hard very quickly and exploded like I used to lol. There's still watery semen, but I think not taking it for at least 2 days has given me time to recover. So I might just think about tapering into the medicine as this way my body could slowly get used to it. Plus since I've only begun receding (started in end of August), I think it would be alright to take my time and taper into the medicine on a lower dosage or every few days. And then finally around a month into it start taking 1mg every day; this way the body could have gotten used to it. Now I don't know about other, but isn't this a good plan for any kind of medicine out there that you take by mouth which could have great side effects. Start of slowly few days or on a lower dosage and then finally start taking the actually dosage once the body has gotten used to it. I mean it's basic science if you ask me. Let me know what you think? And the two people who responded and anybody else reading this is watery semen more common then 2%; I've been hearing that watery semen could somewhere be around 20% possible. Let me know please? Thank You?

akp22191

Reaction score
Hey does anybody know if cutting a 5mg finasteride into 4ths works well? I have a 5mg finasteride but I've been cutting it into half since the size of it is the same as 1mg propecia. I know the coating of the tablet doesn't really matter as long as you have 5mg, but I'm worried that cutting it into 4ths will cause the pills to be too small. Here's whatit loos like

ACI00900.JPG

It's the same size and shape as a 1mg propecia, but has 5mg inside it instead of 1mg. Do most of you have a similar looking generic brand in terms of shape & size. And does cutting it into 4ths still prove effective?

blondguy

Reaction score
I took it the first day 1mg and noticed low libido and watery semen. 2nd day 1m & same side effect. Same side effect for the 3rd & 4th day.

I think if you are able to detect the quality of your semen for 4 straight days in a row, your lobido can't be that low!

Also you shouldn't be able to notice side effects THAT quickly (as in the day or two after starting a drug) Further even if you had, many drugs will give you a short term period of side effects and then they will go away. This has been shown to happen regularly in studies done with men on propecia, and avodart.

Prescription drugs are a slow process often you can't be in as fast as a mind frame as you are. Hell anything you take now for hair loss is something you are not going to know for sure if its working for at least 6 months to a year! So slow down a bit try propecia out on 1 MG daily for a few months (4 at least) THEN, and only then start thinking about changing things if you think you need to.

akp22191

Reaction score
Hey that was kind of a old post. I've been on finasteride for like 4-5 months now. I even was taking 2.5mg instead when I got the generic version. I noticed the side effects for first few weeks, and then my laptop had to be sent to best buy to get fixed. Hence I wasn't on the forums as much reading about side effects, and I was able to wack of 3 times a day everyday lol. So yeah for anyone noticing side effects I could be used as a good example of someone who kept reading about the side effects and noticed them. Right now no side effects on 1.25mg and I'm wacking off like crazy like always. Sorry for being a little to descriptive lol, but to just show that side effects could very well be in your mind. I'm sorry I should have updated this, but yeah no side effects at 1.25mg every day & hair loss has stabalized. I also wanted to ask a question to anybody out there reading this? When your hairline matures is it possible to notice miniaturization along the hairline only including the temple points. Cause when I went in for a scalp miniaturization test at Hair Club, it only showed miniaturizing hairs along the hairline. They tried to scheme me, but I'm not that dumb so I told them to **** off & got on propecia instead. Even my dermatologist has said I don't have male pattern baldness right now, but he did give me an indication that if I did I would be put in the norwood 3 chart, hence my dad's a norwood 3 diffuser. I'll explain better: The front of my hairline started dying off, then a month later the right temple point started dying off. Now what's ****ing weird is that the front hairline is much thicker along with the right temple point. But the left temple point which was still in it's juvenlie position has started to thin/die off. I'm using the word die since it could apotosis aka cell death of the juvenile hairline?

Mystory

My Regimen
Reaction score
I realise this is a really old thread, however I'm a new member and have no idea to start my own thread .

Okay so I'm a 23 year old male and I've been losing my hair since I was 19, although at a snails pace. Over the last year my hair loss has exploded, and from speaking to my dad who is bald it was around 23 that his hair loss because apparent. Throughout my life I've known I was losing my hair however no one else did, until recently. My first comment was when I was 22, pulled this girl on a night out and the day after she looked at my hair and asked if I was going bald....what a thing to ask right?

Anyway so since I was 19 I've attempted keeping my hair naturally, using saw palmetto, flaxseed oil, pumpkin seed oil, biotin...the usual suspects. I do think flaxseed oil and pumpkin seed oil slowed my hair loss however I experienced a shed for months on saw palmetto and since stopping my hair loss has reduced alot. I've also invested in a derma roller 1.5mm recently, quite a few studys suggest this actually promotes hair growth by stimulating circulation to the scalp.

So why am I here? I've been reading forums for as long as I realised I was receding, and now I've bought myself some Propecia. After reading forums and articles etc. For what seems like a lifetime I've come up with the following regime;

0.25mg Propecia every third day (Propecia stays in your system for 13 days, and studys suggest 0.25mg to bare almost exactly the same results as 1mg). Now then I've never had Propecia before so I have no idea how I'm going to react and quite frankly the horror stories have scared this sh*t out of me. I won't be too annoyed if my sex drive is slightly decreased as all my friends and girls I see think I'm a sex addict, masterbating at least 2s a day every day. However the thought of not being able to get a hard erection is what is keeping Propecia in my cupboard and not in my system.

Derma roller every Friday 1.5mm

Nizoral 2% ket shampoo every Wednesday. The reason for only once a week is I hadn't really researched this enough and was using it every other day and leaving it on for over 5 mins. Did this for around 5 months and experienced rapid hair loss and a sensitive scalp, apparently this is called ketto burn? (might be beneficial for me to use this on derma roller days)

I'm continuing to take flaxseed oil and pumpkin seed oil as I feel this helps, along with vitamin b complex.

Basically because I'm always on this forum I thought I would put something in, I'll keep everyone updated as to if i decide to start Propecia, if I get sides etc. In the mean time if anyone has any advice about Propecia in small doses and how it could potentially reduce sides, please get involved.

Let's get through this together guys.

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I realise this is a really old thread, however I'm a new member and have no idea to start my own thread .

Okay so I'm a 23 year old male and I've been losing my hair since I was 19, although at a snails pace. Over the last year my hair loss has exploded, and from speaking to my dad who is bald it was around 23 that his hair loss because apparent. Throughout my life I've known I was losing my hair however no one else did, until recently. My first comment was when I was 22, pulled this girl on a night out and the day after she looked at my hair and asked if I was going bald....what a thing to ask right?

Anyway so since I was 19 I've attempted keeping my hair naturally, using saw palmetto, flaxseed oil, pumpkin seed oil, biotin...the usual suspects. I do think flaxseed oil and pumpkin seed oil slowed my hair loss however I experienced a shed for months on saw palmetto and since stopping my hair loss has reduced alot. I've also invested in a derma roller 1.5mm recently, quite a few studys suggest this actually promotes hair growth by stimulating circulation to the scalp.

So why am I here? I've been reading forums for as long as I realised I was receding, and now I've bought myself some Propecia. After reading forums and articles etc. For what seems like a lifetime I've come up with the following regime;

0.25mg Propecia every third day (Propecia stays in your system for 13 days, and studys suggest 0.25mg to bare almost exactly the same results as 1mg). Now then I've never had Propecia before so I have no idea how I'm going to react and quite frankly the horror stories have scared this sh*t out of me. I won't be too annoyed if my sex drive is slightly decreased as all my friends and girls I see think I'm a sex addict, masterbating at least 2s a day every day. However the thought of not being able to get a hard erection is what is keeping Propecia in my cupboard and not in my system.

Derma roller every Friday 1.5mm

Nizoral 2% ket shampoo every Wednesday. The reason for only once a week is I hadn't really researched this enough and was using it every other day and leaving it on for over 5 mins. Did this for around 5 months and experienced rapid hair loss and a sensitive scalp, apparently this is called ketto burn? (might be beneficial for me to use this on derma roller days)

I'm continuing to take flaxseed oil and pumpkin seed oil as I feel this helps, along with vitamin b complex.

Basically because I'm always on this forum I thought I would put something in, I'll keep everyone updated as to if i decide to start Propecia, if I get sides etc. In the mean time if anyone has any advice about Propecia in small doses and how it could potentially reduce sides, please get involved.

Let's get through this together guys.

You see that POST NEW THREAD BUTTON, press it and get started......................
Capture1212.JPG