Losing hair in non male pattern baldness places

HomerJ

Reaction score
Hey all:

Looking for some insight.

While I have Temporal hair loss and even some Frontal hair loss (about NW3 hairline), the top & crown (Vertex) is still pretty strong. What is weird is how thin my hair is in the Occipital areas (around the ears, behind the ears and upper neck or lower head) In fact, the hair in the Occipital area is much thinner than the vertex and even thinner than some parts of the frontal area.

Anyone have insight to hair loss in these "non male pattern baldness" regions as I am stumped as to why I have rapid thinning here.

Thanks.

Cheers.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The occipital region is the back of the head. The areas you described are the temporal regions. male pattern baldness generally occurs in the parental regions. I just had an anatomy test yesterday. :D

Actually, I'm never sure when someone says their temples are thinning if they actually mean their temples, or if they're reffering to the corners of their hairline around the widows peak. Thats where men usually lose hair, but I'm not quite sure what it would be called. Can someone clear that up for me?

Anyways, go see a doctor, HomerJ. Get yourself checked for a thyroid condition (which is often responsible for hairloss in all regions). Otherwise, the only possible cause I'm aware of is an extreemely stressfull event, generally about 3 months prior.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to get the same thing around my ears. Its annoying having to try and cover up an area that once offered support.

G

My guess is that you have a bad case of diffuse balding.

Sue your parents!!

Try hair drugs, if you haven't yet.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cuisinart said:
My guess is that you have a bad case of diffuse balding.

Diffuse male pattern baldness'ers still only bald on top.

G

I disagree.

When I started diffuse balding my top was hardest hit, but my sides also thinned out.

The hair on my sides, the bottom part, also receeded up.

Eventually I ended up with about a 2" bald U around my scalp.

Sucks, but reality :cry:

G

Guys that are on there way to a NW7 lose hair in these places. It's not rare. Next time you see a NW7, take a look.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

So I gather then that it makes complete sense that I am experiencing way more thinning around the ears than on top.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No, Homer, they're saying its normal to thin there with male pattern baldness, not that its normal to thin more there then on top. Anyone with male pattern baldness will still be losing more off the top of their head. As I said, get checked for a thyroid condition. If that is the cause, I believe they have treatments for that, that are not related to our male pattern baldness treatments.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Would people with a thyroid condition be more susceptible to this type of balding? I'm experiencing it as well. During the day i notice hairs hanging out the side of my head that i can just pick out. When i shower all the hair seems to fall from the sides as well. Also recently i noticed thin spots on the sides. I realize that people that are going to be Norwood 7 experience this, but i'm barely and Norwood 1.5 with almost no balding in the back. Why would i experience this already?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Go check it out with a doctor, Kramer3. You live in Canada so theres no excuse not to :p

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
lol, thats true man.. I get to enjoy the free medicare. I guess i'll check it out.. if you have a thyroid problem is it easier to regain your hair? or are you even more fucked?