Long time propecia/finasteride users

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
I've been using propecia since 2001. Up until the end of 2004 I was satisfied with the results--I wasn't noticing any more hair loss. In late 2004 I thought I noticed it getting a little thinner in the winter months, and again in 2005. At this point I added Nizoral and minoxidil, which I've continued pretty consistently (only missing one application of minoxidil/finasteride here and there). Now I can't be certain, but my hair does seem to be getter slightly thinner every winter and I'm wondering if finasteride has stopped working for me?

Has anyone else had success with finasteride that gradually tapered off over a couple of years, or disappeared altogether?

Now I'm thinking of switching to dutasteride if the finasteride isn't working, but I really don't want to grow tits. I'm not *too* worried about the sexual side effects as I had no such problems on the finasteride whatsoever.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
not really such a surprise that your male pattern baldness became so intense that finasteride didn't work as well for you. unfortunately, the only option is dutasteride and you're probably aware of unknown long-term side effects. up to u to balance them out.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that the hairline right in the middle was thinning for me, but to be honest I have not been taking pics and all the hair looked thin and dry.

I started on a bunch of stuff last month and will wait at least 6 months before I maybe try dutasteride, maybe 8 months. I'm pretty patient at this point.

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you know by now that Propecia peak after 3 yr (or something close to it). So don't be surprised if your hair is worse off than it was a year or so after you started taking propecia. And it will continue to gradually get worse (but I imagine its just that, GRADUAL). Remember you are better now than you would have been had you not taken propecia.

dutasteride is such a wildcard. According to some knowledgeable people here it will cure your wildest dreams, without the sides. But would a doctor prescribe dutasteride for hairloss? I don't know, but if you can, try to get multiple opinions from different doctors in your area.