Little white things (doesn't seem to be dandruff or lice)

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Last night my girlfriend noticed little white dots in my hair and I'm trying to figure out whats going on. She said there were like a few hundred of them and they were in the the thicker regions of my hair (back and sides). They were kind of deep inside the hair (but not actually on the scalp) and more noticeable when my hair was wet after shower.
My first thought was dandruff, but it didn't look like flakes of skin; they were smaller and circular; more dense. So then i thought of lice; but in my magnifying glass it didnt look like that, and my hair isn't really itchy. Plus, I regularly use nizoral which is actually prescribed to kill lice (among other things). In fact I had just used nizoral right before my girlfriend noticed the dots.
What it actually looks the most like to me is the white club-like root that you see at the end of telogen phase hairs that have fallen out. I even took one such hair and separated the root from it to compare with the white dots; and they looked the same. I suppose another option could be some kind of build up from the stuff I use (regular shampoo, nizoral thrice weekly, tricomin spray everyday).
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Thank you very much in advance.

MEANSTREET

Reaction score
yo man. i had and have that. from wat ive heard its called keratin lumps. like wen ur hair is in telogen it pushes out the nutrientainty things that fed ur hair afterwards. ive heard its caused by the follicle becoming inflamed and causes permanently hairloss! but! it usually happens normally wen the telogen cycle is over over messin about with ur hair

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Does anyone have more information on this? I googled keratin lumps and got next to nothing; is there a more clinical name?

Also, it doesn't seem like it makes complete sense because my scalp is not inflamed (not red or itchy; it feels good). Also it said that keratin lumps exist beneath the skin, these white flecks are just floating in the hair, not on or underneath the scalp.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If I had that and read what meanstreet posted, my heart would've probably stopped. Lol...that sounds whack~

HiDef

Reaction score
Yep, I've experienced the very same thing, although probably not in the hundreds. Interestingly enough, I remember first really noticing it after increasing my use of nizoral.

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
MEANSTREET man what the f*ck? Care to elaborate on what you've said? Where you hear it? What did the last line even mean?

On the base of a lot of my hair shafts that shed I have a white ball on the bottom attached to it, like a lice egg but it isn't. This what you're talking about?

MEANSTREET

Reaction score
yo sorry to be vague. i just remeber wen i thought i had Telogen Effluvium and one of the things i had was those white balls. one of the things that it said was that if inflammation occurs then it pushes out those white balls as if its like destroying that follicle. however it was vague in its self. so maybe wen telogen cycle finishes it pushes that stuff out then makes a new one. but honestly id never seen that sh*t til my scalp started itchin and wen i used nizoral that stuff didnt happen no more. sorry i was vague and sorry if this is even vaguer lol