Lightening hair?

wooly

Reaction score
Hi there. I've been using 5% rogaine diluted in half with isopropyl alcohol for 5 months. I began diluting the rogaine because of a racing heart rate and it worked. I'm happy to report that the formula is growing back my hair. I should also say that when I started I was not noticably bald. I was receeding and thinning and wanted to get ahead of the problem.

Anyway, my wife noticed that my hair is lighter where I've been applying the minoxidil. Is this normal? I've got black hair and the lightening is only noticable in direct light but I think it's a bit wierd looking. Any ideas on how to stop this?

Thanks!

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
Wooly,
Congrats dude on growing some of your hair back! You should post some your before and after pics. I'd be interested to see the difference. Keep with it.
-Pologuy

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm sure finasteride made my hair go darker so if the minoxidil lightens it things will even out nicely. :)
Maybe you could dye your hair?

wooly

Reaction score
If the hair lightening gets more extreme, I may resort to dying but I was just wondering if this is common or if anyone had the same issue?

Thanks!

Pondle

Reaction score
wooly said:
Anyway, my wife noticed that my hair is lighter where I've been applying the minoxidil. Is this normal? I've got black hair and the lightening is only noticable in direct light but I think it's a bit wierd looking. Any ideas on how to stop this?

Thanks!

Could be some new growth coming through? Remember weaker hairs are less pigmented than full terminal hairs.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My hair on top looks lighter, I attribute to what the other guy already said, less pigmented.

seeves

Reaction score
My hair has definately lightened and has basically acted as a highlighter to show where i apply the minoxidil. I have my hair pretty short also and i work outside about 4 days a week so between the sun and minoxidil, my hair is almost turning blonde from light brown where i apply it. I should be straight after growing it out but it sucks when a treatment makes your hair look worse than it really is.

wooly

Reaction score
Glad to hear I'm not alone. I thought it was lightening my hair (existing) and not new growth. Your comments confirm this. It must be the solution reacting to the sun. I live in Southern Cal and am in the outdoors quite a bit. I keep my hair pretty short so I think it will keep the lightening under the radar.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's been winter here in Chicago and I have not been really out in the sun at all.