Less side effects on dutasteride than on finasteride?

G

Just take a look at the Propecia or the side effects forum. They are full of people complaining about low sex drive or gyno. Yet you hardly hear from anyone who has had side effects on dutasteride. How is this possible if we keep in mind that dutasteride is about 25 times stronger than finasteride? There are even people like Aplunk1 who have less sides on dutasteride than on finasteride.

Felk

Reaction score
In my opinion dutasteride somehow just works in a different way to propecia, and one that somehow isn't as effective. Don't ask me how, but this is my interpretation of people's experiences.

Everyone complains about side effects on propecia, but there are innumerable people who say it's working for them.

Not many people complain about side effects on dutasteride, but there aren't many success stories, and there are huge amounts of people who talk about it giving them a "frontal shed." To me, this means it's just not working, since the front is where you naturally lose it from to begin with.

Even in the trials, despite inhibiting way more DHT, it wasn't that much more effective that 1mg of propecia anyway.

powersam

Reaction score
felk someone as knowledgeable as you shouldnt be judging drugs by posts made on forums. you know just how wildly inaccurate that will always be.

what we can go by is hair counts etc, which all show dutasteride outperforming finasteride in all areas.

Felk

Reaction score
Hmm what you say is true, i shouldn't be cooking up theories. I know it's inaccurate, but it's just seems to be such an established trend to my eyes.

Anyway, Bryan has often speculated as to why Dutasteride isn't that much more effective than finasteride - the rise in testosterone perhaps. He also speculates why dutasteride isn't as effective at inhibiting the 5AR type 1 enzyme - I seem to remember him saying it's perhaps because it steadily grows back quicker than type 2.

This just seems to me to hint that dutasteride's and finasteride's effectiveness don't simply correlate with their respective inhibition of 5AR2.

If finasteride is nearly as effective, despite inhibiting far less, to me the basic assumption was it was better at it's job somehow. However... "assumption is the mother of all f*** ups"

Sean68

Reaction score
people who are on dutasteride have usually been on finasteride first and had no sides but no results so theyve switched to dutasteride so maybe its because people who are on dutasteride just wouldnt get sides on either if that makes sense.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also think most of those here start on finasteride and if it doesn't work or we think more could be achieved then switch to dutasteride. finasteride is the fully tested FDA approved one, dutasteride is the one that has tests showing it can block more DHT but does not have the the test result s(not that I have seen) to show long term gains like on the Propecia site. Alot of good things though on results for both on this forum.

So hence more here complain about sides on finasteride as there are far more on it. I've only been on finasteride for 3 weeks and the only side I seem to have is that i'm shattered all the time, hope that this subsides soon. Not seen anyone mention serious sides on dutasteride like some have on finasteride but its a bit simplistic thinking because a drug is more effective it comes with more sides...its just so different for each individual, that's obvious with such a range of stories on effectiveness and non sides for some compared to others. Each of us just hope what ever we chose will give us the best results in line with those with success stories.

Another concern about going to dutasteride is its much more expensive and the generics seem to be potentially more susceptable to fakes....no one want to take any fake but least of all an expensive one....this is a difficult one to get around and is just trust in the suppliers.

badday

Reaction score
why we dont have any report about dutasteride? do you know if any report is on the way??