leonardo956's Story

leonardo956

Reaction score
I used to be a very happy, athletic guy before 21. Unfortunately, I let my hairloss affect greatly my self esteem. Growing up in Mexico being blond, I grew up getting compliments about my hair all the time. My biggest concern was when I hit puberty and my hair got dark. I got over it, but still the way my hair looked was very important to me. I was on the swim team, and roller hockey team. I had the very famous swimmer's built. I rollerbladed so mcuh I had a huge muscular ***. I got so used of girls and people complimenting me on my butt and my muscles and my hair which I paid so much attention too. I cared so much about my hair, I used to spend 30 dollars on a special molding cream to amke my hair spiky but not look with wet hair like people who used gel. I went to salons, not barbershops.

I gave it too much importance. I got so depressed that awful week. In a single week a friend tells me I was going bald, I thought he was being an a**h**. But that same week my boss teels me, I thought he was being asn a**h** too, then one girl from where I work told me too. But that week when my mom makes fun of me going bald I get scared. I was hard to tell since I wasn't lossing hair on the front, and I'm still not. I grasb two mirros, and see it, I had a bald spot. I was so depressed.

First I got in denial. I'm 21 I couldn't possibly go bald, that spot is just the swirl everyone's got on the backof their heads. But very quickly, in a matter of months, the spot got bigger. More people moticed it.

I didn't want to go swimming coz my hair would get wet and show my spot even more. I didn't want to go rollerblading, go to the courts coz I felt old and someone with a bald spot just doesn't belong playing with a bunch of kids. So I drmatically changed my lifestyle from ebing swimming and active to just being at home not wanting to go out so people would see me. Beofre I knew I went froma size 30 to a size 36. my arms just got thinner, lost all the definition, pecs, everything.

I finally went to the dermatologist and she gave me Propecia. She told what I knew already, I was losing my hair bothin back and middle. The only good news she told me was I wasn't losing ahir in my frontal area and for the way my frontal density (amount of hair per square inch) it didn't seemed like I was going to lose it anytime soon. After a month, I noticed my pillow didn't have lots of hair when I woke up, I noticed I didn't have lots of hair on my hair when I washed my hair. She also told me to use Neutrogena.

Today, I've been 6 months on Propecia. I'm 22 now. I haven't seen any changes whatsoever. I'm happy my hairloss stopped. I haven't loss chunks of hair in the pillow or when I shower for months. I'm being veyr patient about regrowing hair. I haven't seen any hair., but hopefully I'll see some soon. I'm still not as actie as I was before. I don't go swimming nomore. I'mtrying to lose all that weight I put on. I go jogging everyday, always with a cap on. I'm startingto go out now, but that's coz I'm using Toppik. It works great. If you really pay attention to it you can tell. Specially during the day. I recommend Toppik. I have a problemwith it because of my hair color.I'm using Dark Brown. But my hairis dark brownmoslty, but I strill have some blond hairs and brown hairs and on the sun looks very light. My hair changes colro a lot depending on the light. So it's veyr hard for the Toppik to match it. But overall, at night, I'm very happy with Toppik.

I have to count my blessings. Lately, I've noticed my hairline is a lot better than most guys my age, so that's good. I stopped losing hair. However, I'm still letting my hairloss keeping me from doing what I want to do. I don't do sports because I'm affraid my sweat will make the Toppik drip, and I would feel real bad being the only guy on the court with a bald spot. I just hope I to grow some hair.

crayola

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that it affected you so badly. I think it affects most of us like that at first--not ever wanting to have to go outside and face other people again. But we gradually get over it, and if your treatments are working then it's even better. I'm glad you've started to look on the positive side lately. As for the sports I'll suggest a dew-rag or a bandanna to cover your head. bandanna (that's not me). Not only will it cover up your hair but it will aslo keep the sweat out of your eyes. I wear one when I do martial arts because I have longer hair and I have to keep it out of my face (my hairline is my problem).

Also just out of curiosity, what is your family history with hairloss if you don't mind me asking?