Length of time

Deaner

Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for about a week now. How long does it take before it "builds up" in your system or whatever it needs to do, and actually starts to take effect? Thanks.

hopewas

Reaction score
get ready for a shed. at the 3 and a half month mark you'll start seeing thickening, etc.. stick it out. trust me

Deaner

Reaction score
Does a shed REALLY have to happen? Does it happen to everybody? How far into treatment does the shed usually begin? Is it about to happen to me really soon? I'm SO WORRIED! :shock:

Bismarck

Reaction score
Deaner said:
Does a shed REALLY have to happen? Does it happen to everybody? How far into treatment does the shed usually begin? Is it about to happen to me really soon? I'm SO WORRIED! :shock:

The hairs that would be affected in the next couple of months by male pattern baldness will shed (if the regimen works for you). The shedding begins normally after 2 or 3 months. Don't worry, you use it for one week! Try not to think about your hair all day and make photos of your head every month.

bis

Deaner

Reaction score
Isn't it possible to see thickening without a major shed? Isn't it possible that it would just be more gradual? I mean, my hair isn't all that bad at ALL. I get away with having really short hair and still looking good. Gelled my hair all up yesterday @ 1 inch long, almost no scalp visible directly under a light with my head tilted back towards it. Is it possible, because my hair isn't that thin at the moment, that my shed will be of a lighter variety?

If I'm totally off base please tell me. Thanks for all the replies guys, you guys are awesome.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Yes. If the progess is very very slow i can imagine that you won't have noticable sheds.

bis

Deaner

Reaction score
Ah, that's comforting. Cuz I can see, had my loss been more aggressive or my current state much worse, more hair being affected and therefore shed as a result of treatment. But consideirng my loss has been so slow, barely noticable, and gradual, I was HOPING the same would go for finasteride related shedding. Comforting to know I might get away without anything major. But all I can REALLY do is wait and see.

Thanks again.

hopewas

Reaction score
i had my shed after a week and a half or so and it lasted about 3 months. but it's been good since then

Deaner

Reaction score
regrowth, thickening, etc. after that time period? Cosmetically noticable shed?

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Deaner said:

Deaner, you should read this article on shedding written by Kevin McElwee. It will help you understand the process of shedding.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article220.htm

Oh yeah and I noticed you asked me about my hair in a different thread. I've been on treatments for about 5 and a half months now and it's been one turbulent process. I've undergone allot of shedding (month 2-3, 5)
but at the same time have seen allot of positive signs and subsequent regrowth. Overall my hair may not be appreciably better but it's definetly not worse. In all honesty I thought i'd be very noticably bald right now but i'm not, because of the treatments.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Ha, we all hail to the mighty finasteride and his queen minoxidil... My freind on propecia didn't have a noticable shed or so he claims and at month 6 he had next to no fallout, and his hairloss looks unnoticable probably because of the thickening.

G

Hi Deaner,

Hope this helps:

Expected Timeline

Week 1-2: Possible increased sex drive, slightly oily skin, possible light zits, increased shedding (normal!)

Week 3-5: 4% of men may experience a slight decrease in sex drive

Week 6-?: Side effects dissipate, possible continued shedding until month 3 or 4

This is of course assuming you experience any in the first place. It is entirely dependant upon the person.

Month 3 or 4: Good Responders - You may see a stoppage in shedding
Slow Responders - Give it 6 months to a year.

Month 6 or 8: Good Responders - You may see additional regrowth.
Slow Responders - may take up to a year or may not see regrowth at all, just maintenance of hair count.

Distressed.

G

Well I hope to have minimal shedding going of what people have already said. I also think that if your hair loss has been very gradual and over many years then the shedding will be a lot less than if you really started to lose your hair in let's say two years.

Hope that makes sense!

thinstinks

Established Member
Reaction score
hairs growing in

im losin a sh*t load of hairs AGAIN, but the hairs that i am losing
are small and thinnnnnnnnnnn

ive been on minoxidil 9x/week for over 4 months now

what the hell is going on, shouldnt these hairs be at least a little thick
and a little longer, they must have just started growing a month or two ago and i was on minoxidil,

is minoxidil f*****g me, please someone with some experience help
me im a emotional basketcase

Deaner

Reaction score
Makes perfect sense traxdata. It seems everybody's pretty much on the same page as far as shedding severity. The more severe and aggressive your loss, the more severe and aggressive your shed. Makes sense!