Lawstdnt21's story

Which do you use?

• dutasteride?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lawstdnt21

Reaction score
Today is day 1. The pills (which I ordered from unitedpharmacies.com) have arrived and I took my first pill about 20 minutes ago.

Background: I started losing my hair at 18. In the begining, 1996, I began a proscar regime (before propecia existed). Amazingly, I have retained plenty of hair. However, about 2 years ago it seemd that I was begining to lose more (or a very slow process started to become noticable) than I was keeping. I have heard many great success stories of people on dutasteride. I feel that I may be a dutasteride canidate since I've had a good experience with propecia. I am informed (and I admit frightened) of the side effects. I'm taking the risk and I will keep everybody fully informed. Please email me with any questions.

I will post photos to demonstrate my progress if any.

John

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi John and good luck with the new thing.
I have been taking propecia for about ten months and started taking dutasteride eight days ago. I have developed my own treatment with supplements, herbs, laser etc. over the past year, with good results so far.
Some men may have more side effects, it may depend on your natural testosterone/libido levels. There are possible unknown side effects in these hormone supplements, we are the pioneers! So we have a responsibility to report the effects to our fellow men.

I get my proscar prescription from my sympathetic doctor, and because I take a permanent medication for underactive thyroid, my prescription is free, lucky me. However, dutasteride is not yet on the list of male pattern baldness related prescriptive medications in the uk. Hopefully it will be. It was a nice surprise when I didn't have to pay for the propecia and switched to proscar several weeks ago.
I assume that one shouldn't take finaseride as well as dutasteride, so I suppose I will be stockpiling a supply of proscar.
This is a great site for sharing experiences, finding out where one might be going wrong, and what is worth a try. Admin is on the ball.
Keep in touch.
Boru

Lawstdnt21

Reaction score
Hello Boru

Hi Boru,

Have you had any initial effects? Last night I couldn't sleep as well as I usually can, that is even after an evening at the gym. I already have slightly more lebibo. Many years ago I took a hormone legal (supplement) called DHEA. It helped your body created more amounts of "natural" testosterone. I remember how it made me feel, the increase in energy, increase in lebido. Taking the dutasteride is like a flashback, I have the same effect. I am happy to have both effects.

I also had a sympathetic Dr. when I began proscar, again because propecia wasnt' available at that time. I am not taking both, dutasteride blocks the same enzyme that finasteride does, and does a better job at it.

I am also considering adding to my regime. Tricomin or Nizoral. However, I will avoid the minoxidil. I attempted using it when I was younger and my scalp inflammation was too much to handle.

J

Axon

Reaction score
Fascinating. You're a rare breed around these forums - we rarely have any long term users appear; mostly, we get newbies. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Hello Boru

Lawstdnt21 said:
Hi Boru,

Have you had any initial effects? Last night I couldn't sleep as well as I usually can, that is even after an evening at the gym. I already have slightly more lebibo. Many years ago I took a hormone legal (supplement) called DHEA. It helped your body created more amounts of "natural" testosterone. I remember how it made me feel, the increase in energy, increase in lebido. Taking the dutasteride is like a flashback, I have the same effect. I am happy to have both effects.

I also had a sympathetic Dr. when I began proscar, again because propecia wasnt' available at that time. I am not taking both, dutasteride blocks the same enzyme that finasteride does, and does a better job at it.

I am also considering adding to my regime. Tricomin or Nizoral.
However, I will avoid the minoxidil. I attempted using it when I was younger and my scalp inflammation was too much to handle.

J

HI. No side effects on dutasteride. Apart from everything else in my routine, I have also been taking DHEA (micronised), on the published recommendation of Dr Miriam Stoppard. It could be a key element in my recovery, but some studies have rubbished DHEA as mostly having a placebo effect, so I am only guessing. I use Nizoral every other day.
Perhaps younger skin can be too sensitive, but you should also avoid getting the sun on your scalp as this can react with some medications. I wore a cap for many years, and continue to do so on sunny days, so you can only see my new hair indoors! I find that Emu Oil helps with any inflammation after minoxidil, which I combine with retin A cream. I have quite a busy routine, and many tips have come from this site.
Boru

Lawstdnt21

Reaction score
Ok, I've been on dutasteride for a little over a month now. I was on propecia for nine years with results of "maintaining" until the last two years. I have felt a massive increase in "buzz feeling" type hairs on the top of my head. At my receeding hairline, I DEFINETELY see many vellus hairs popping in. I think they are giving my hair over-all more volume by holding up my terminal hairs. It looks like my hairline is reshaping. I NEVER had these results with finasteride. I think this is pretty much AMAZING, and I have NO side effects.

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
this is great news. i'm happy for you. i started on proscar and minoxidil once a day just over 10 months ago, and since i had a pretty full head of hair then, i can't tell if it's helped. esp. because i have hypothyroid, so some thinning may have been a result of that. and now i'm on medication.

but my dad is seriously bald, and i've always had thick hair that seems like it's about to start going. i have a dime-sized bald spot coming in, and while that may be better than everyone else on the forum, i think the loss will accelerate rapidly. so i guess i'm glad i already have 10 months in. i'm just hoping to maintain, but i will go on dust. the minute i feel this stuff isn't working

please keep us updated.

Lawstdnt21

Reaction score
I started on proscar waaay back in the day before there was propecia but the majority of my treatment was on propecia. I maintained fairly well until the last two years. I believe the main cause of my hair loss is DHT and nothing else.

You may have other factors couples with male pattern baldness (resulting from DHT). How old are you?

Axon

Reaction score
I have edited the title of your post in keeping with the forum regulations.

Where do you goto Law School? I'm a rising 2L in Syracuse, just made law review. :)

Lawstdnt21

Reaction score
Did not see where you had edited anything. I am not a student any longer. I've been practicing for a couple years now. I still use the name though, because in law you are always a student.

J

dan65

Reaction score
quick question lawstudent,

you said you'd been on dutasteride a little over a month with nice results so far. i am going to stick with finasteride for at least a number of years as i have just started to lose my hair. my question was what is your dosage of dutasteride? i remember reading that a large dose of 2.5 mg did block a lot more DHT than the .5 mg that a single Avodart pill contains. Obviously there is more potential for side effects. Please let me know your dosage and keep us posted on new growth and side effects. congratulations on the new growth by the way.