Krazy-J's Story

krazy-j

Reaction score
hi i am a 22 year old dealing with alopecia areta. This all started June 2002, if not earlier. this is when my mother found it. it was a week after my father died. :( my mom was curling my hair for me and said oh my god! i freaked out. she said you have this big bald spot. it was in the middle of my head underneath all of my hair. at that time i had such thick hair we probably would have not noticed for awhile.

the first thing we did was go to my family doctor. she said it was stress related it would come back. i had some blood work done, but nothing came back negative. so we let it go.

the baldness continued to show. by january 2003 we decided to see a dermatologist. he started me on kenalog shot and injections to the scalp. boy did those hurt, and still do. :cry: i would get these for 9 months. eventually in one spot some regrowth did appear. but i am getting new bald spots in other areas. so we tried a new approach. he started me on a protopic ointment. at this time i also had my blood work done again to make sure that nothing changed from previous.

Last week i went back in to see the dermatologist and i am now getting the kenalog injections. i am also going to see my gynecologist to have my hormone levels checked.

at 22 this is so depressing. everyday i see myself with little hair and remember the days when i could put my hair into ponytails or clips. now i can't do that without one of my bald spots showing. i have now purchased a wig and wear it when i am teaching or working. if i am casually out and about i wear knit hats or bandanas to cover up.

my doctor put me on anti-depressants to help me. i cry a lot. especially when i put the ointment on. i look and see just how much hair i have lost. somedays i feel it just isn't fair. i never had a perm or colored my hair and now i have hardly any hair to show.

this is my story.

mayalopecia

Reaction score
welcome!

Hi krazy-j,

I am very sorry to hear that you are dealing with these troubles. We are here to support you if you need us. Thanks for sharing your story.

-maya

G

Hi Krazy-J

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Please let us know how you are doing from time to time. Have you checked out the National Alopecia Areata Foundation? http://www.naaf.org/ You can also check for local support groups.

We are also here for your support! Thank you for sharing your story.

Laura

krazy-j

Reaction score
still nothing new

:cry:

hey everybody. just wanted to add more to the story. i went to see a dermatologist in Ann Arbor Michigan. Not much came about it though. The doctor put me on mens extra strenght rogaine. So i went ahead and did that. My doctor in town was not happy with the results. So he started me on yet another new treatment. I am starting PUVA. Which is using UVA light on my bald spots.

I have been doing that now since before christmas. i was going 3 times a week, but it was getting too expensive so i went to 2 times a week. I do not know if it is working. But i hope and pray everyday. the only thing that i am really getting out of it, is a tan.

the other day when i went in for this puva the nurse had found some slight growth. she showed the doctor and he was not really that thrilled about it. i was. so was the nurse. the growth is not a whole lot. so hopefully something is working.

each day i worry about how i look, what is wrong with my hair and when i wear a wig that people can tell that i have fake hair. it is so frustrating and depressing. i just wish that i can go back to the way i was before all of this happened. i never once mistreated my hair. took care of it. and not i have none to show for this. it is not fair. it has really affected my self-esteem and also my character. i am not like my self anymore. i just want to go back to the way i was.

jennifer :cry: :cry:

G

AA

How long have you had AA? Have you lost any other hair on your body?
I have been dealing w/it for four years. Im only 27 and Ive noticed in the past 6mnths that I have been starting to lose my eye lashes :cry:

Its been three months since I have been off cortizone shots and Im thinking about going back on them.

Ive been taking a womens one a day vitamin along with iron pills. I just got taken off birth control levlen. Ive been on them for 12 years.

I definetly know how you feel. Each day seems like a challenge for me too. I wish we could turn back time..... :evil:

How is the wig you wear? Im a police officer and Im ALWAYS in the public eye... I havent tried a full one yet...went to Hair Club for Men and it was a complete rip off...it was a horrible experience. I cannot even think about wearing a wig...it makes me sick. I just hope and pray that hairs will start growing again..

I feel like just staying at home and not going out. I feel bad for my husband cuz he's trying so hard to keep me positive..but im just not feeling it.

What medications have you been on? I havent tried Rogaine. By looking at the box it looks like Im too far in advance with the hair loss..i dont know.

Well I wish you luck everyday.....its always easier said then done with staying positive...

G

krazy j

If you ever want to meet up and talk let me know.. Im in Michigan so not too far away!