Keeping A System Fresh After Maintenance...

mroizo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Use conditioner and oils with every wash. Shampoo is quite harsh when cleaning and both, gel and wax dry out the hair in the hairpiece quickly.
Using a wide-tooth comb to comb out any tangles while the hair is still moist works well. Letting moist hair dry by itself is better than using a hair dryer. I found these methods to work well for me when washing the hairpiece every 2-3 days.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you wash it so much? Might be because you're using gel - which itself is terrible for the hair and means that you need to wash the system more often.

Try using a leave-in conditioner as your main styling product. And then only wash the hair once a week, with water only, followed by conditioner - i.e. no shampoo. Carry out a full wash (shampoo) once a month.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I put in jojoba oil the day before I shampoo and shampoo just once per week. That way I don't walk around all week with the oily hair but the oil gets into the hair and keeps it a bit better. I use leave in conditioners as well but I'm not convinced that they do anything more than making the hair look a certain way, same as a styling product would do.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you guys think of using natural shampoos with argan oil? I shampoo the system twice a week only due to the build up of conditioner. Also the shampoo I use is all natural with oils.

Also I recently have added some jojoba oil to my leave in conditioner. Just a tad but enough to make a difference. This is my second system and it feels much better than my last one did at this stage.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't tell you how different the hair quality ranges from one system to another from the same supplier, same unit, same density, etc.

It's like a roll of dice.

Some have hair that can take anything. Some come fried and dried from the start.

It's bizarre.

Any else experiencing this?

I think I'm going to start ordering from Northwest(?), the one with the laison from the States.

Tips?

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same issue, my system gets dry and course feeling. I live in an area with hard water, and it wasn't until I was visiting friends that had water softener that I realized how the hard water affected my system. It took me a couple day's to make the connection. But after showers, my hair felt amazing. The dryness and courseness was gone.

I don't have a water softener at home, so I bought distilled water and loaded my spray bottles up with that, and generously sprayed my hair in the mornings. Gave me the same results. You can use boiled water as well - and while not as nice as distilled water - the difference is still night and day - at least for my water situation here in DFW.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
My system's get worse by the day owing, I think, to the fact that the white glue I use to hold my pieces down breaks down & eventually gets into the hair.

I don't know how to address this, because, by the time this happens, I want to wash the hair, but not have it fall off my head owing to the heat of the shower.

Any ideas?

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was a full bond die-hard. I finally got fed up with the issues of breaking down and the stress to clean it up. In this Texas heat, I’d do well to get 5 days out of it. So I decided I’d give tape a try. Even on the hairline. I could not believe it, but I loved it. I use a walker tape on the perimeter, and walker contour strips on thd front. I wear an exposed hairline at the part and you can’t see it. After 3 days I just give a spray of 99% alcohol, lift the system, peel the tape off and reapply it. I can do it in about 3 min. Provided I don’t wait too long, when I replace the perimeter tape, I can remove it from my system with almost and clean up with just alcohol and a paper towel.
While I still prefer the feel of a full bond, but it’s totally worth the trade off to be out of the issues with bond.