Just noticed some patches

G

hello,
I am 25 yrs old and I just noticed some bald patches on my head(abt 30 of them) only about 7 of them are big about 6-7 strands of hair(1/2 inch in diameter) the rest of them are about 2-3 strands of hair types.(very small )
I went to a derm and she gave me a cream called elidel and it started to burn and itch a lot . one of the patch close to the neck also started to burn a lot and it increased in size.
I stopped using the cream and told my derm about it , she now gave me a cream called Locoid which i think is a steroid cream.
Please suggest what this pattern could be . It is not due to heriditary ,nor stress nor any deficiency in food.
Please suggest a tratment and also let me know if this pattern could be alopecia aereata and how severe can this be
Thanks,

G

Hello Iam25,

Unfortunately, since you did not register, you may never see this response, but hopefully you are checking back faithfully. :) In the future, know that if you register you can have the message board automatically contact you when someone replies so you're sure to see it!

Alopecia Areata is understood at this time as a possible combination between hormones and a stronger influence of an overactive immune system. This is why you have been given topical steroid creams. They work to locally shut down the immune response and allow your hair to grow again (takes a minimum of 3 months). It is definitely worth a try to find a topical steroid cream that does not irritate you too badly because they usually work. Another option is steroid injections but those are painful and with 30 spots on your head, it could be more hassle than its worth, but they do work quite well.

The extent that this could get depends entirely on chance, and your immune system. Alopecia can be anything from one tiny spot to complete hair loss all over the body. Anything from birth control pills to antidepressants to crash dieting to other medications can cause this in women.

Your best bet is to read our Guide to Women's Hair loss here on this site, and we will work with you (assuming you come back!) to rule out all the possibilities and see if we can help you find the source of the problem and treatments that will help. It is very much a process, and I will do my best to be here for you.

Laura

G

Thanks a lot for your response .
Please let me know how to register and How I can be helped.
Thanks

G

Hi Iam25,

You can register by clicking on the top right button where it says "Register"

Take care

Laura