Just got prescribed for propecia but too scared to try it

Habitual

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster. Just a quick little background info on my hair loss: I started noticing an extreme amount of shedding in my shower one day in mid-August of 2004, shortly after I had started college. I had been taking creatine and body building with a trainer for the past 4 months and I am sure this had something to do with the new found hair loss, plus starting college was pretty stressful as I was away from home for an indefinite period of time for the first time in my life. Naturally, I have VERY thick, wavy hair and always thought hair loss would be the last thing I'd ever have to worry about.

When I tried telling my dad about it, who has been on Propecia for over 8 years and has regrown and maintained all his hair with no side effects, he simply laughed me off and was not at all understanding about it. I know it didn't appear that I was losing my hair at first since it was still very thick, but over the past 2 years it has slowly but surely gotten thinner and it is becoming easier and easier to see scalp in the back, and there has been a slight recession on my widow's peak. I still appear to have a full head of hair when not looked at closely, but there has definitely been a good amount of thinning. I visited my dad's dermatologist twice, and both times he simply brushed me out of his office telling me that I had dandruff which can cause temporary hair loss and threw some crappy shampoos at me which didn't do much of anything besides make my hair smell bad.

Anyways, just had an appointment with another dermatologist on Monday, and although he didn't seem to think I have much of a problem, he prescribed Propecia and Nizoral 2% for me, and also suggested I pick up some Rogaine. He gave me a week sample supply of Propecia, and here is where the problem comes in...

After going through this site, I cannot believe all of the negativity I have read towards Propecia: the shedding, the amount of people who claim they actually lost more hair while on it, the tolerances that can be built up against it, etc. etc. This has really freaked me out and I have a week's supply of Propecia and a prescription for a 3-month supply of it sitting on my kitchen table so far unused. I would really appreciate some feedback on general thoughts on Propecia and if you all really think it's worth the risk. I'm not concerned about the sexual side effects: THAT I could live with since I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that I have a very active sex life at the moment (confidence has just been destroyed). However, I certainly do not want to lose more hair while on Propecia and although I am very concerned about the state of my hair at the moment I know it still looks better than most guys' since it was so thick to begin with and could live with it looking the way it does at the moment. I would just really like to stop, not cause more shedding and hopefully get back some of it's thickness.

Also, I like to wear my hair long. Would I still be able to do this while on Propecia? I can't thank you guys enough in advance for any response you might give. I'm just so lost right now.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedding seems to be apart of Propecia's cycle. I am about to finish my second month and I can say I have seen an increased amount of hairs falling.

Whilst it is very disheartening to say the least you need to try and look beyond the shedding to a point where you will regain what you have lost.

I have my ups and downs and I know that if you shed hairs, you will also likely have your own ups and downs too just like everyone else.

I doubt many individuals feel differently..

BUT consider the fact that if you start Propecia and experience shedding anytime within the first three months and STOP its use subsequently then you would have done nothing more than waste your time, money and hair...

Shedding is suggested to be a sign of the treatment working.

If you old boy grew his hair, that should give you some inspiration. Have faith if you dare :wink:

Holmes

Reaction score
don't worry

Don't worry not everyone sheds. I don't shed much at all is very little if any. I have no side effects either. Take for a year and make a commitment you won't be dissapointed. I take Propecia and I use 5% Rogaine which you can get cheap I also use 2% Nizoral and take a multi vitamin do that and don't look back! I also use dermatch while my hair is regrowing. Check out dermatch also it covers well.

young gun

Reaction score
Do not worry about taking propecia. I am 20 and i have been taking it for the past year and a half. I have not gone through any sheds. I have just mantained my hair. I have not had any regrowth. But the main point is that it is safe to use and you of all people know when you are losing hair so you are doing the right thing by getting on to propecia.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No sheds, no real improvement til about 1.5 years. Minoxidil really kicked the regrowth into high gear, started that after 2+ years on propecia. No side effects, couldn't be happier with it. Did alot more for the hairline than i would have expected.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Your dad's results should be all the testimony you should need I think.

Habitual

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone. I just had one other question: can I wear my hair long on Propecia? I have a bit of a big forehead and like to cover it up with long hair, so I'm hoping I won't just shed hairs every few months while on it, thanks again.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
it's different for everyone, depends on your type of hair and your own personal response to the drug. There is a good chance you will not see any thinning at any time.

southernstarter

Reaction score
Habitual -

Do you have any baseline pics you could show us? It sounds like your Dad and Dermatologist have been blowing you off about hairloss, but I know it helped me to have the people in this forum evaluate my situation. Everyone here is dealing with hairloss and can provide a different perspective about your situation.

I have been on Propecia for 4 months now and I believe my situation is slightly similar at least from your description. My hairloss is not horrible and none of my friends even think I'm going bald or losing my hair. But I definitely noticed some recession in the temples and I did not want to take any chances. So I jumped on Propecia and Rogina, but I have since decided to drop the Rogaine (thanks to some advice from HelloHello) because all I really want to do is maintain what I have, which is what you might be looking to do.

I have had no sides, except for the watery semen which I dont know if I should care about, but I don't. I have had no loss of libido or erection problems in my 4 months and my sex life I would like to think is slightly active. I did have some mild increased shedding during months 2 and 3 but I don't know if that was caused by the Propecia or Rogaine, but it was neglible and did not affect the appearance of my hair. I assume those hairs grew back but who knows if I couldn't tell they were gone.

As far as that weeks sample your doctor gave you, sounds worthless to me. You need to do your research, evaluate your circumstances and decide whether you are going to take the plunge or not. Propecia takes at lease 3 months to start working and you should really give it at least a year. Take lots of pics during this period of time and don't let your mind play tricks on you.

I would strongly recommend reading this post from HTL Admin:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=12638

- J