Just got a Propecia prescription

bupolo

Established Member
Reaction score
I had asked for .5 mg, but the Doctor said they didn't make a pill that only had .5 mg in it (I guess I split it in half?).

I'm a little nervous to start taking this! He essentially said it's a life-long committment (which I already knew) and you have to stay consistent with it, and take it around the same time, all the time (so for those who have been a little sporadic with it, maybe therein lies the problem).

Any words of encouragement? Words to dissuade?

The Doctor said the small dosage would not shrink the prostate, but would prevent it from growing as I got older. Isn't that a POSITIVE side-effect? So, if I took it for a few years, I'll be able to have sex more easily later in life? That would coincide with my hopes of having an 18 year old wife when I'm 60 (like Jack Nicholson!).

Where's a good place to get it (in terms of price)? Anything I should immediately start using with it (such as Nizoral?)?

I know it may not start affecting my hair loss for several months, maybe 6+, but when should the amount of DHT being sent to the scalp decrease? Almost immediately? Within a month? I'm going to try to coincide that reduction in DHT being sent to the scalp with some sort of scalp cleanser that supposedly removes DHT (Such as NIOXIN).

ginner

Established Member
Reaction score
1) Yeah, they don't make a 0.5mg dose. Based on what people post here it seems fine to split it in half and take half a day.
2) I say go for it. You might as well give it a try. Most people DON'T experience any sides and if you do and it freaks you out you can stop.
3) I'm not sure that there is any conclusive medical evidence about how it will affect your prostate later in life. What you say makes sense but you shouldn't base your decision to take Propecia on that.
4) I would personally recommend nizoral but it's not essential. There is evidence that it helps and it has worked for me personally. But people have different experiences with nizoral (like Propecia) so your best bet is to try it and see.
5) You'll need to take it for at least 6 months to see an improvement. I'd recommend taking it for a year before you judge. The DHT levels in your body will be lowered very quickly though, as in days rather than months.

bupolo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm leaning towards taking it. I may go get the medication today.

It's nerve racking!

But, will .5 mg be enough? I don't want to start taking 1 mg if it's unnecessary for me. If it helps, I'm 6'1" and about 155 (yah, I'm skinny).

THoughts? SPlitting it in half?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
try half of the recommanded dose if you have sides.

bupolo

Established Member
Reaction score
So start with 1 mg, and if I experience side-effects, cut it to .5 mg?

Will that have any drawbacks in terms of using the drug? I understand you have to be pretty diligent and take it everyday at the same time, and not to take fluctuating amounts (my Doctor said lots of people like to get proscar and cut it in 4ths, which he did not advise unless I could ensure that I was getting a consistent dose). So if I all of a suddent switch to .5 mg, will I get a big shed and screw everything up? I'd rather start with .5 mg and have the affects just take a little longer than to risk it, if that's the case.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
yup its all about self experiment

bupolo

Established Member
Reaction score
Just took first .5 mg of Propecia today!

Very nerve racking. My first prescription drug use, and to think, this sh*t is FOREVER!

I started with .5 today. I could deal with my hair as it is today, so I'm just hoping this will stop it in it's tracks!

The next thing I add should be: ____? I'm assuming Rogaine, but is there anything I can try besides rogaine? I just know it that minoxidil only works on the very top/back, and I want something that'll hit the front as well. I'm consider Proxiphen, or Proxiphen-N, plus the nano shampoos. Is that a guy one to try at first?

Where can I buy them?