Japanese Study: Resveratrol, some wood oils, rat liver 5ar

michael barry

Reaction score
Sitemap

Home Opinions Press Releases Link Categories J-EAST

TOP > J-EAST > List of Journal Titles (J) > J Wood Sci(2001) > Compounds inhibitory to rat liver 5.ALPHA.-reductase from tropical commercial wood species: resveratrol trimers from melapi(Shorea sp.) heartwood. Compounds inhibitory to rat liver 5.ALPHA.-reductase from tropical commercial wood species: resveratrol trimers from melapi(Shorea sp.) heartwood.Accession number;01A0894142
Title;Compounds inhibitory to rat liver 5.ALPHA.-reductase from tropical commercial wood species: resveratrol trimers from melapi(Shorea sp.) heartwood.
Author;HIRANO Y(Fukuoka Industrial Technol., Fukuoka, Jpn) KONDO R(Kyushu Univ., Fukuoka, Jpn) SAKAI K(Kyushu Univ., Fukuoka, Jpn)
Journal Title;J Wood Sci

Journal Code:L3386A

ISSN:1435-0211

VOL.47;NO.4;PAGE.308-312(2001)
Figure&Table&Reference;FIG.3, TBL.1, REF.21
Pub. Country;Japan
Language;English
Abstract;5.ALPHA.-Reductase inhibitory activity of methanol extracts of the heartwood of 13 tropical wood species were examined. Strong 5.ALPHA.-reductase inhibitory activity was observed with Shorea species. From melapi(Shorea sp.), two known resveratrol trimers, vaticanol A and ampelopsin C, and two novel trimers were isolated as active compounds. The structures of the two novel resveratrol trimers were elucidated by one- and two-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopic analyses, including 1H-1HCOSY, HMQC, and HMBC. The compounds were named melapinol A and melapinol B. There were no significant differences among the 5.ALPHA.-reductase inhibitory activities of the four resveratrol trimers, which were significantly stronger than those of .ALPHA.-linolenic acid and epigallocatechin gallate, known 5.ALPHA.-reductase inhibitors. (author abst.)

I think rat liver microsomal 5AR is type one. Apparently several wood oils inhibit type 1 alpha 5 reductase. My mind keeps going back to that cedarwood oil patent from Johsnon and Johnson. Cedarwood was the most effective agent in reducing sebum secretions in human skin that they found. I dont know about these things being able to inhibit human Type 2 alpha 5 reductase though, and the resveratrol in this experiment was apparently isolated from wood, not the kind that comes in a pill (LOL). This experiment probably just availed the rat liver cells to the substances. Its interesting info though to speculate upon.

pacinom

Reaction score
This is cool but I am principally and fundamentally opposed to trying any product which involves killing animals or rather sacrificing another form of life.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, so you rather not sacrifice rats for a higher calling. Are you opposed to sacrificing plant life?