I've stopped Rogaine because...

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
I think my hairloss would be better treated with finasteride and I hate using Rogaine. So I was on it for about 2 months and shedded terribly with no regrowth (as you would expect). I've been off it about 2 weeks and I'm still shedding...thick healthy hairs and I haven't started finasteride yet. Is this normal? When can I expect the minoxidil shedding to stop?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, I started finasteride when I stopped minoxidil. I don't know exactly when the shedding stops, but just go on to finasteride, you won't be doing yourself any harm, and there's nothing you can do about the shedding now anyway.

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
As, you would expect? you need to give it at least 4 months.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
H/B said:
As, you would expect? you need to give it at least 4 months.

Well, I didn't expect regrowth after 2 months... I think you've missed my point

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Try finasteride alone for 6 months, evaluate, and then add minoxidil if needed.

tommyblah

Reaction score
i've been on & off minoxidil and let me tell you, it works on a 4-month delay, EXACTLY....there's no signs of it working 2 months in. up until four months of using it i was still shedding heavily, on and off for weeks at a time as i always was prior...after that 4-month period and for the next 6 months of using it, i never noticed any periods of excessive shedding as i had before, and my hair was noticeably thicker on top.

overexamining my forehead as i always do, i decided that because my hairline was still receded that the minoxidil wasn't working. i was a moron and i attributed the much better looking hair to the fact that i take better care of my hair now--i eat better and take vitamins, no bleaching, no styling products, etc....

so, i stopped using it. exactly 4 months passed, and i remembered real quick how awful it had looked before and why i had taken action. i shed all my new growth in about a week, now i'm back to the original amount of shed. ....needless to say i'm back on minoxidil and eagerly awaiting the 4th month again.

i'd say if you've only done it 2 months, you're just experiencing your normal shedding and nothing related to minoxidil.