I've Been Shedding A Lot Of Hair For Years

HenryV

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where to begin? I'm 28 and I've been shedding a lot of hair since at least three years. Maybe even longer, but my hair was very short before that. I've had shoulder length hair since and it was dry and brittle for the longest time. I'm talking knots and breakage and when I used to run my hand through my hair I'd always have a bunch of loose hairs between my fingers. Even just after showering and combing. I tried so many different shampoos and sprays and what have you, but nothing helped. Although I somehow never connected it to any permanent hair loss. Also I had an earlier episode once, when I was about 18, but that passed. So I figured it was just another temporary thing and after some time I kind of got complacent or something. It's hard to explain.

Recently I noticed two things. The first was dandruff. So I bought Head & Shoulders (Regular) and after using it only once, no more clumps of hair in the drain, no more breakage and no more loose hairs when I run my hand through my hair. I did a test and didn't wash my hair for four days and even after that, still only a few loose hairs in the drain. Don't get me wrong I'm glad, but it's a little strange. Also it hasn't helped with the dandruff, so I guess it's dry skin or something. The second thing I happened to notice recently, the result of all this shedding over the years, is thinning on the crown of my head. When it's all matted up after sleeping on it, there's a bunch of partings there, almost in a diamond shape, around a thinner tuft of hair. So what's going on? I know I should probably see a dermatologist or something, but in the mean time I'm looking for ideas and impressions.

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where to begin? I'm 28 and I've been shedding a lot of hair since at least three years. Maybe even longer, but my hair was very short before that. I've had shoulder length hair since and it was dry and brittle for the longest time. I'm talking knots and breakage and when I used to run my hand through my hair I'd always have a bunch of loose hairs between my fingers. Even just after showering and combing. I tried so many different shampoos and sprays and what have you, but nothing helped. Although I somehow never connected it to any permanent hair loss. Also I had an earlier episode once, when I was about 18, but that passed. So I figured it was just another temporary thing and after some time I kind of got complacent or something. It's hard to explain.

Recently I noticed two things. The first was dandruff. So I bought Head & Shoulders (Regular) and after using it only once, no more clumps of hair in the drain, no more breakage and no more loose hairs when I run my hand through my hair. I did a test and didn't wash my hair for four days and even after that, still only a few loose hairs in the drain. Don't get me wrong I'm glad, but it's a little strange. Also it hasn't helped with the dandruff, so I guess it's dry skin or something. The second thing I happened to notice recently, the result of all this shedding over the years, is thinning on the crown of my head. When it's all matted up after sleeping on it, there's a bunch of partings there, almost in a diamond shape, around a thinner tuft of hair. So what's going on? I know I should probably see a dermatologist or something, but in the mean time I'm looking for ideas and impressions.
Pictures?

Kris89

My Regimen
Reaction score
Upload some pictures and I'm sure you'll get a good idea what it is. If it ends up being male pattern baldness you can jump on finasteride and probably keep your hair long and put off the thinning for several years