I've Been On 5% Foam Minoxidil For 14 Months With Good Result, But My Whole Face, Scalp And Ears Are

Jack B

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm at a point that I find this unbearable. All the T area of my face and inside ears are EXTREMELY oily. If I touch these areas, my fingers gets shiny. When in the shower, gently scratching my face or inside my ears I get a white paste of skin under my nails. No matter how much of this I try to remove or scrub, next day in the shower it's all back.

Is this a normal side effect of minoxidil? Is there a work around for this? It is working on my hair, would be a shame to stop it. But this side effect is now affecting my day to day life.

I have now stopped using minoxidil for a few days, to see if it helps this nasty side effect, but the excessive oily skin is still there. How long should I wait to see if it stops?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am going to say it might be a coincidence.

I don't see how it can cause excess oily skin.

If it did anything it I would think it would cause swelling (rare) around eyes and maybe drying but I don't think oil.

I would speak to dermatologist that you have excess oily skin and what to use.

I like Vitamin C serums, I like pumpkin enzyme mask scrub, you can use a gylcolic treatment.

Try even just acne pads for now.

Don't over dry just use something to fight the oil in moderation 1x a day and see if it gradually lessens or evens out.

Jack B

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've already tried fighting the oily skin with no luck. that's why I'm given up on minoxidil. I've never had oily skin before, and this level of oiliness is not normal. It's like if I dip my fingers in a bowl of oil.

Now that I stopped minoxidil, since I have clean minoxidil-free scalp, when I run my fingers between my hairs I can see that my scalp is also as oily as my face. So it could be related to minoxidil.

How long would it take for minoxidil and its side effects to stop working? I want to know after how long I can rule out that it is definitely not minoxidil.