I've been diagnosed alopecia areata, what to expect?????

Xavier

Reaction score
30 days ago I started to notice lots of hair on my pillow, bath tub and I noticed these small round chunks in my head.

Well, 30 days later I know it's alopecia areata and the doctor told me to have-

Ingested corticoids (prednisone) 30 mg a day

3% Minoxidil

7 days since I started, and no visible results yet :cry: . My hair keeps falling and don't know what to expect. My eyebrows are intact so far but I'm starting to be really worried about it.

Any advice or help?

Thank you in advance

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hello Xavier - I assume you are male going by the username.

Though I am not a doctor I would not have suggested oral corticosteroids right off the bat. If you're doing fine side-effectswise, then cool, but I would inquire with him about local injections.

Please review the Alopecia Areata page on this website which can be found here:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/al ... areata.htm

... and please check out my girlfriend's alopecia areata page as well for some hints and tips. She cured hers with injections, but as you can see, it took over a year.
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/photogallery/pgcarol.htm

What you want at this time is steps to take, so here they are.

1. Review both of the links above in-depth.

2. Call your doctor, and lie to him. Tell him you have a family member who is a dermatologist who has requested that you cease the oral corticosteroids and instead have once monthly injections. Tell him you are comfortable going to another doctor to have them done if your doctor is not well versed in administering these (use your good judgment to determine if he/she seems confident about giving them or not).

3. Tell your doctor the following quote from the National Alopecia Areata Foundation Website:

"Topical minoxidil. Five percent topical minoxidil solution applied twice daily may grow hair in alopecia areata. Scalp, eyebrows, and beard hair may respond. If scalp hair regrows completely, treatment can be stopped. Two percent topical minoxidil solution alone is not effective in alopecia areata; response may improve if cortisone cream is applied 30 minutes after the minoxidil. Topical minoxidil is safe, easy to use, and does not lower blood pressure in persons with normal blood pressure. Neither 2 percent nor 5 percent topical minoxidil solution is effective in treating those with 100 percent scalp hair loss."

You will need to start on 5% Rogaine/Minoxidil instead of the 2%.

Lastly, the most important part - You're going to need to be patient. You won't begin to see hair growth from the injections until at least the 3-4 month mark, and it will take a full year for the spot to be completely filled in. Give it time.

We are moving this thread to the Alopecia Areata section of the site as well.

HairLossTalk.com

Xavier

Reaction score
Thank you very much for comforting me !!!!!! Yes I was thinking about going for the 5% Minoxidil instead of 2%. I have read some study they did using several groups of individuals using 2%, 5% and placebo, and the final results were not that encouraging......

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
You're right - Minoxidil isn't really considered the big treatment for Alopecia Areata. The injections should work. They hurt a bit but you should be okay. They key is finding someone you think really knows what they're doing (ask to be referred to a dermatologist if you can), and then having patience.

Alopecia Areata can also happen as a result of any medications you may be on, or recent hormonal changes. Make sure you have your thyroid checked and evaluate any meds you may be on.

HairLossTalk.com

Canuck

Reaction score
can anyone comfrot me???the ptach on my face is starting to really freak me out dermatologist gave me hydrocortisone creme... and wasnt working.. (was using for about 2.5 months) then i stopped now its getting bigger (almost sure of that)

what can i do?

i asked him about the injections in my face and he siad "nope, your chin could cave in"

ughgh im going insane