Itchy scalp means hair loss ?

yung

Reaction score
For the past few months I've had an itchy scalp. It doesn't itch in only one place. It can itch in the front, the crown area, the sides, and the back. Usually only itches one place at a time though. It just feels like like something is crawling on my head. The itch is usually at its worst right after I eat something. But I try to eat really healthy, I avoid refined sugars and grains.

So what is the cause of my itching. Could it be that a yeast infection that I acquired sexually a few months ago is causing my itchy scalp. Or is this just a normal process of male pattern baldness and losing hair ?

I'm like a NW3 I think

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it can mean anything. It can be male pattern baldness (male pattern baldness) itchy or some kind of scalp inflammation or allergic reactions to some food you eat. What kind of food is it that makes your scalp itchy the worst?

yung

Reaction score
it can mean anything. It can be male pattern baldness (male pattern baldness) itchy or some kind of scalp inflammation or allergic reactions to some food you eat. What kind of food is it that makes your scalp itchy the worst?
sugar makes my head itch the most but I rarely ever eat sugar anyway. But pretty much anything I eat makes me itch. And I itch even without eating. If it's not male pattern baldness itch can it still cause hair loss ?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sugar makes my head itch the most but I rarely ever eat sugar anyway. But pretty much anything I eat makes me itch. And I itch even without eating. If it's not male pattern baldness itch can it still cause hair loss ?

if sugar makes your scalp itchy the most, then you probably have dermatitis (yeast infection). Go see a dermatologist.

TheShedder

Reaction score
I dunno about the food thing man but I have telogen effluvium and I get an insanely itchy scalp a couple of days before I'm about to have a massive shed. Are you noticing that you're shedding your hair a lot?

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
I dunno about the food thing man but I have telogen effluvium and I get an insanely itchy scalp a couple of days before I'm about to have a massive shed. Are you noticing that you're shedding your hair a lot?
That sounds exactly how it was when I first experienced telogen effluvium. Extremely itchy and sensitive scalp until the shed happens, then the itch temporarily subsides until the next round of heavy shedding.

jay121

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair also use to tingle and itch like crazy followed by a massive shed 2-3 days later. It would then stop for a while until it happened again. I had Telogen Effluvium

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair also use to tingle and itch like crazy followed by a massive shed 2-3 days later. It would then stop for a while until it happened again. I had Telogen Effluvium

How long did it take you to recover from Telogen Effluvium?

jay121

Established Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Still haven't fully recovered. Have been having on and off shedding for two years. Hair lines remained the same just diffuse thinning everywhere. At only 18 I lost 70 percent if my hair probs gained back half of that. My shedding did completely stop in April and may when I was on iron tablets had a ton of regrowth growing in

However the shedding started up after I stopped. At that time I didn't associate the shedding cessation on the iron tablets and I started finasteride. Stayed on it for 3 months did **** all except make me shed like crazy. Started up iron tablets again hoping it stops the shedding completely like before[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Still haven't fully recovered. Have been having on and off shedding for two years. Hair lines remained the same just diffuse thinning everywhere. At only 18 I lost 70 percent if my hair probs gained back half of that. My shedding did completely stop in April and may when I was on iron tablets had a ton of regrowth growing in

However the shedding started up after I stopped. At that time I didn't associate the shedding cessation on the iron tablets and I started finasteride. Stayed on it for 3 months did **** all except make me shed like crazy. Started up iron tablets again hoping it stops the shedding completely like before[/FONT]

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
Still haven't fully recovered. Have been having on and off shedding for two years. Hair lines remained the same just diffuse thinning everywhere. At only 18 I lost 70 percent if my hair probs gained back half of that. My shedding did completely stop in April and may when I was on iron tablets had a ton of regrowth growing in

However the shedding started up after I stopped. At that time I didn't associate the shedding cessation on the iron tablets and I started finasteride. Stayed on it for 3 months did **** all except make me shed like crazy. Started up iron tablets again hoping it stops the shedding completely like before

- - - Updated - - -

Still haven't fully recovered. Have been having on and off shedding for two years. Hair lines remained the same just diffuse thinning everywhere. At only 18 I lost 70 percent if my hair probs gained back half of that. My shedding did completely stop in April and may when I was on iron tablets had a ton of regrowth growing in

However the shedding started up after I stopped. At that time I didn't associate the shedding cessation on the iron tablets and I started finasteride. Stayed on it for 3 months did **** all except make me shed like crazy. Started up iron tablets again hoping it stops the shedding completely like before

It seems like we both have chronic Telogen Effluvium (mine has been going on for maybe 2.5 years). That diffuse thinning really sucks, especially since it's so non-sensical to have thinning sideburns and thin hair above your ears and in the back of your head. At least if it were male pattern baldness, we could keep thickness in these areas and just worry about addressing the top. And yeah, Finasteride can increase the sheds. I'm on it, because I might be predisposed to male pattern baldness, and Telogen Effluvium can speed up male pattern baldness.

My shedding has dramatically lessened in the last 2 months, almost to the point where I just don't know how to react to it. LOL. Maybe about 5 hairs fall out when I shower now, which is awesome. I'm hoping that this is a sign of recovery and tapering off of Telogen Effluvium. I'm also on iron tablets and I try to eat more red meat and just eat more in general (may have been underweight).

My big thing right now is hoping for the regrowth to be thick. I don't know how long that will take.

jay121

Established Member
Reaction score
How long have you been on iron pills and finasteride for?
My shedding right now is low however if it doesn't completely by December I'm going to have to start thinking about using minoxidil. How much did you shed when your Telogen Effluvium was active?

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
How long have you been on iron pills and finasteride for?
My shedding right now is low however if it doesn't completely by December I'm going to have to start thinking about using minoxidil. How much did you shed when your Telogen Effluvium was active?

I've been on Finasteride for a little over 2 years and and iron pills for maybe 8 months (also taking Biotin). Finasteride also can cause synchronized sheds, so it's hard to tell what is a Telogen Effluvium shed and what's a Finasteride shed.

When the Telogen Effluvium was really active, maybe 30+ hairs in the shower and I would pull out 4-5 hairs every time I ran my hand through my hair (so probably 100-150 per day). I would just keep on running my fingers through my hair throughout the day to remove hairs that had basically shed.

Now, I do the same things, and very little hair falls out. I'm hoping it's not just a break from shedding.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
if sugar makes your scalp itchy the most, then you probably have dermatitis (yeast infection). Go see a dermatologist.

Sugar and heavy non-veggie carbs does that to me. It's never more obvious than when I cheat and have some fast food with a soda. It's almost instantaneous and often times accompanied by a flare up of scalp acne on the backside of my head. Actually I'm wondering if they're sores, because they're typically painful.

yung

Reaction score
I buzz my head down with no guard every few days so it's hard for me to notice if I'm shedding.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on Finasteride for a little over 2 years and and iron pills for maybe 8 months (also taking Biotin). Finasteride also can cause synchronized sheds, so it's hard to tell what is a Telogen Effluvium shed and what's a Finasteride shed.

When the Telogen Effluvium was really active, maybe 30+ hairs in the shower and I would pull out 4-5 hairs every time I ran my hand through my hair (so probably 100-150 per day). I would just keep on running my fingers through my hair throughout the day to remove hairs that had basically shed.

Now, I do the same things, and very little hair falls out. I'm hoping it's not just a break from shedding.
Can you have Telogen Effluvium without shedding. My hairs pretty short so I dont know if I have shedding.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont notice any shed but my hair is very short also. I dont think its male pattern baldness because my sides are very thin.