Itching Rashes From Minoxidil?

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am having a strange side effect with topical minoxidil: Itching skin all over, not just at the site of application on the scalp. Back, legs, chest, ankles, arms, neck, everywhere. I am wondering if this could be some type of allergic reaction to systemic absorption of minoxidil or propylene glycol? Whatever the case, I will have to try some alternative to minoxidil. Possibly copper peptide.

I don't know if this is a common side effect or not :(

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wookster said:
I don't know if this is a common side effect or not :(

No it's not common and obviously you just need to stop if you're sure that's what's causing it, sorry to hear that..

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Not so fast, UK.

The propylene glycol component of the traditional minoxidil-solution can wreak havoc on a scalp. I used solution for a month and it it had my scalp flaking and snowing like a blizzard. However, two months into rogaine foam with nizoral use, no dandruff remains (though I still do get little scalp pimples periodically, but I've had those since I can remember). Try Rogaine Foam as it may clear up the irritation issues (no propglyc). It is rather odd that it would be affecting your entire body, though. I've never heard of this reported as a minoxidil systemic side effect. I'd strongly suggest you switch to the foam and see a doctor about the rash. It could be something completely unrelated.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I 100% agree with Far Too Young. I used liquid minoxidil (Ozbrew) for 4 months and while I did see regrowth, it made my head itch so badly that I had to stop. I was leery to try Rogaine Foam, but I've been on it for 3 weeks now and have had almost no scalp itch.

Give the foam a try before you give up minoxidil completely.