'Itch' Worsened on finasteride??

jsmith123

Reaction score
Hi guys. Recently made a post a few months back before i started a regime (you can check it out in my previous thread posts). Anyways, I have had no side effects really. Apart from a reduced ejaculate amount maybe 75% of the time and within the first week or two no morning wood however that has come back. Apart from that it is all good, I have been on finasteride and nizoral 2% for about 2 months. One thing I have noticed is that the 'Itch' on my scalp (I had the slight itch here and there before starting finasteride, it was not severe but it was there). Ever since being on finasteride , most notably as of this month the itch has become accelerated. It seems to die down the 2 days of the week that i use nizoral , however the days after them the itch comes back. It has gotten worse WHILST being on finasteride. Im very confused, its pretty constant and was worse than it was before i started my regime. Has anyone else experienced this or can provide any thoughts on it ?. Does it mean the finasteride is not working etc ?. I also use neutrogene T gel shampoo 2 x week.

Cheers

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
I noticed itching on finasteride every now and then. After many years of using it I think my itching eventually stopped. When I quit finasteride the itch came back and has stayed. I've considered going back on finasteride to get rid of the itching because at times it has been disruptive. I have a couple of things that might help. Limit the amount of times you shampoo your hair. Try to keep it to only 1 time a day or less. Switch to the regene pure or shampoos that don't contain SLS. I personally like including head and shoulders anti itch as part of my rotation. To be honest I probably use nizoral 1% twice a week. Also, I kept my hair while on finasteride without using nizoral 1%.

- - - Updated - - -

Note head and shoulders anti itch has SLS, but I think it is still beneficial as it cools and calms down the scalp.

jsmith123

Reaction score
I in the past have been sensitive to certain things, like soaps etc, that all seemed to pass. Maybe it could be the shampoo I am using?. I shampoo my hair everyday, sometime twice (usually because in the night I have a shower after the gym etc and need to be clean). I will get some Head and Shoulders shampoo soon. Also how did finasteride go for you?. Im a bit worried I will start losing my hair after this '5 year rule' I keep hearing about it .

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
I in the past have been sensitive to certain things, like soaps etc, that all seemed to pass. Maybe it could be the shampoo I am using?. I shampoo my hair everyday, sometime twice (usually because in the night I have a shower after the gym etc and need to be clean). I will get some Head and Shoulders shampoo soon. Also how did finasteride go for you?. Im a bit worried I will start losing my hair after this '5 year rule' I keep hearing about it .

5 year rule?? I'm not sure what you mean. finasteride never lost its effectiveness on me. They've done 10 year studies that show finasteride continues to grow hair through out the 10 years and thereafter.
I quit finasteride because of the post finasteride syndrome scare mongering, and it gave me the opportunity to donate blood. I stayed quit to partially confirm whether or not I was actually balding or not, and because I had a perceived betterment of my erections and morning wood.

It took a while but I've confirmed I do have male pattern baldness. I had started finasteride after losing a tiny amount of hair.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
no idea if this is right but the itch might be the initial shedding phase, miniaturized hair falling out is itching. I noticed same thing in my initial shedding phase

jsmith123

Reaction score
Maybe so, I have noticed my hair does look a lot 'thinner' atm. It could be shedding but i havent noticed any shedding, theres no hairs coming out in the shower or anything like that.

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe so, I have noticed my hair does look a lot 'thinner' atm. It could be shedding but i havent noticed any shedding, theres no hairs coming out in the shower or anything like that.

Yeah my hair became baby soft for a while. After a couple of cycles it was back to normal. There was this weird awkward phase where I though my hair looked like crap though. I had only lost 11 hairs at the time (joking) but it seemed to have made all of my hair at the top baby soft. It was kind of weird.