Is this seborrheic dermatitis?

d2r2

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been watching this forum for over a year now.
I've started noticing hair loss around 2 and a half years ago during my time in the military. I always had a high hairline and somewhat receded temples. It never bothered me, until a few people started commenting on my crown, saying im losing hair. At first I disregarded it and excused myself that it was due to pressure (I was in the military for a long time). Well, it was not apparently. It got worse after climbing in Alaska - I didn't wash my head for 25 days, was losing hairs like a mad man + greasy scalp that sticked with me afterwards. During the last 4 years I cant say I had a decent cleaning routine due to the nature of my work and journeys.
I went on propecia last June and have been seeing improvement, hoping at least. I am a diffuse thinner and it seems my hair is starting to fill up more and feel thicker and healthier. I've always had relatively thin hair, so seeing the scalp isn't something i'm not used to in general.

So my problem starts when I'm seeing the regrowth pattern on my crown - it's not filling up the way I want it to. and It should. I keep losing small pigmented and non pigmented hairs in the crown and it seems my body and the propecia are trying to make a change for the better but just arent able to. Which got me thinking maybe I have SD on my crown?
I remembered having flaky scalp exactly on my hairloss area in the crown during Alaska and then in Africa, not normal dandruff but flaky yellowish pieces of skin that when ever I scratched off (gross, I beg your pardon) came out with hairs. not the root, but something like the middle, it looks like my hair is woven into the flaky parts. I do have a red scalp in the crown as well.
I'm attaching a picture of that flake with "woven" hair inside, again excuse me for the "gore"

I've started nizoral 2%, hoping it will solve it, any suggestions or diagnoses friends?
photo.jpgphoto.jpg

Thank you.