Is there any way to tell when your hairs are minaturizing.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a big time shedder, and lose lots of hairs during the course of the day. Often times i notice that not only do these hairs range in size but also in pigment. I know that certain hairs that fall out are indicators that your hair is healthy and that other ones that look feeble indicate it's getting worse.. Am i kinda on the right page here?? Does anyone know what to look out for, or is there just no way to tell?

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
when my hair was longer when they fell out I could sell towards the base of the hair that it was thinning. Yea very scary

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im in the same boat you are kramer,hairs will fall out and one will be light blonde the other dark brown i dont understand it although at this point in time all my hairs that fall out are all the same length so i guess im in the early stages

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Kramer, yes. The thickness of the hair (usually tied to the quality of the pigment) will let you know how that follicle is doing. Of course if you're on treatments, you should expect to shed more of the thin 'sick' hairs, and of course hope that they are replaced by thicker hairs. So your hair has gotten worse, which basically just means you do have MBP, but you already knew that, didnt you ;)

Matgallis, hair always thins out at the end of the growth cycle. This is normal and by itself does not indicate anything. As long as the main body of the shaft is healthy, then that follicle is healthy.

Blue, even the thin 'sick' hairs can grow long (not as long, as the growth cycle is shorter, but long reguardless). Its all about the diameter, not the length.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
really? even healthy ones? hmm thats really good to know thanks!

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Flux:
Since you seem to know what your talking about on this subject I'll ask you a question.. Any idea what shedding microscopic non-pigmented hairs that are 1mm long would indicate? I've been doing a test lately to see how many hairs I shed at night and the type of hairs. I use a white pillow so they easily show up. I usually get between 8-30.. Last night was 30 :evil: but thats because i think i'm going through a shed-phase.. Anyways I noticed that half of them were these microscopic hairs, and wondered if u had any idea what they could mean?

reallysad

Reaction score
flux said:
Kramer, yes. The thickness of the hair (usually tied to the quality of the pigment) will let you know how that follicle is doing. Of course if you're on treatments, you should expect to shed more of the thin 'sick' hairs, and of course hope that they are replaced by thicker hairs. So your hair has gotten worse, which basically just means you do have MBP, but you already knew that, didnt you ;)

Matgallis, hair always thins out at the end of the growth cycle. This is normal and by itself does not indicate anything. As long as the main body of the shaft is healthy, then that follicle is healthy.

Blue, even the thin 'sick' hairs can grow long (not as long, as the growth cycle is shorter, but long reguardless). Its all about the diameter, not the length.

This is what worries me. While on Propecia, the hair I shed was of the healthy variety. Most of them can't get any healthier. Hence my worries.