Is the Norwood scale the only male pattern baldness scale?

Chrisknight

Reaction score
I'm not exactly new to this site, I had posted a few times but forgot my username. Anyway, is male pattern baldness only seen through the Norwood scale?

To give a bit of backround (no camera, so no pics) I started thinning around 17 (I'm now 19). Nothing to bad, but still. I've always had really thick hair. My Hairline receeded a bit, and so did my temples. If that were all, I'd be fine. However my hair then started to thin a lot more on top (not the sides or anything, that's as thick as ever). I guess it's diffuse thinning. This all happened to my dad (same ages) and he is now 41 and fine. He keeps his hair a little longer, but it's not to bad (nor was it ever). He lost a little more around 25, but overall is fine.

My hairline is a little different thing his though. I don't follow the Norwood pattern (nor the women's one either like some of the guys here). I have more noticable thinning an inch past my hairline (which isn't great, but it's not like a NW2). I have a rainbow patch of thinning hair.

I don't ever notice gobs of hair falling out. Not in the shower, not on my pillow. No "shed" whatsoever. The only time I notice hair falling out is if I'm using gel (and usually being a bit more rough then just running my hands through my hair).

What am I looking at? male pattern baldness (I'm following my father in ages when we lost our hair, but not in hairline) or something else? I did have a thyroid done and my TSH were normal.

tenshi

Established Member
Reaction score
fig001jem.gif

norwood_scale2.jpg

Here are two different versions of the norwood scale. I think norwood hit the nail on the head with scaling hair loss. I have never seen any other scales. If you have a receding hair line you prolly have male pattern baldness, especially since it is in your family lineage. What did your derm say about your hair loss?

Chrisknight

Reaction score
tenshi said:
fig001jem.gif

norwood_scale2.jpg

Here are two different versions of the norwood scale. I think norwood hit the nail on the head with scaling hair loss. I have never seen any other scales. If you have a receding hair line you prolly have male pattern baldness, especially since it is in your family lineage. What did your derm say about your hair loss?

I just went to my GP and she really didn't know to much. I should probably go to a derm at some point, but I want to be able to have a conversation and sound as if I know something (to be taken seriously).

Thinning is in my family (my dad, but not his 3 other brothers except 1 who is a NW6ish). It just doesn't follow the Norwood pattern.

I'm most like NW2, except I have a more thin patch near my hair line that looks like this ----> ^ (except it's not a triangle shape, a half circle).

Odds are I'll always be a Norwood 2 (it's closer then anything, but my hair isn't exactly like that), but it's the little ^ and diffuse thinning that bothers me.

pcu83

Reaction score
I think I have the same problem as you; I just haven't noticed my hairline receding at all...just that ^ in the mid-scalp behind the hairline...I'm going to a dermatologist to ask him soon.

Chrisknight

Reaction score
Also, something i want to add. I don't have diabetes, but I'm "pre diabetes." Doctors want your number (don't know what it means) at 99 or lower. I'm currently 103-104 (one of those). Could that be an issue for my hair?

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score

Chrisknight

Reaction score
Chrisknight said:
Also, something i want to add. I don't have diabetes, but I'm "pre diabetes." Doctors want your number (don't know what it means) at 99 or lower. I'm currently 103-104 (one of those). Could that be an issue for my hair?
Anyone want to guess?