Is the finasteride in proscar evenly distributed?

Losingmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I read online that the finasteride in proscar might not be evenly distributed and read the opposite also which has me confuse. Does anyone know for sure if it's evenly distributed? If it's not evenly distributed it sucks. there's no point of cutting the pills in 1/4 almost.

beaner

Reaction score
Of course it's evenly distributed. Pills are manufactured in bulk with a vat of the drug mixture compressed over and over again into the shape of the pill. If the drug were not evenly distributed within the mixture, there would be no way to ensure there was 5mg of finasteride in each pill. This is a rumour started, probably by Merck, to deter people from using the cheaper Proscar.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody "knows for sure" that it's evenly distributed (other than the actual people who work in the factories producing it), but I'd say the probability that it is is about 99.99%! :wink:

Losingmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with the way the pharmaceutical companies work but can't we call to find out 8)

Cassin

Reaction score
since pills are made in vats its a natural assumption that entire pills would be without medicines if distribution was an issue and the FDA would not allow that.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better I switched from propecia to proscar and everything seems fine. Haven't lost hair.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
There was a pharmacist that visited one of the forums once who stated that yes, it was evenly distributed. There have also been conflicting statements.

The good thng to realize though - whether you're cutting your proscar into 4ths or 5ths, that after you take all the individual pieces, you'll have your full 5 mg dosage (after 4 or 5 days).

It's all good.

Losingmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks 4 the replies. Well i been taking it for sometime now everyother day to minimize sides since i heard it's still effective but now i don't know if i should just take it everyday just incase. that's bad if by taking it everyother day i might have not get the full benefits of it.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Losingmyhair said:
i don't know if i should just take it everyday just incase. that's bad if by taking it everyother day i might have not get the full benefits of it.

For the umpteenth time, you won't get the FULL benefits if you take it every other day, but you'll get NEARLY the full benefits.

Losingmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I hear u brian, thanks. I just thought since everyother day will actually equal to .75mg and less sides i was taking it everyother day. if i can get the full and better benefit everyday I'm going to start taking it everyday.